New Leeson Frame Design

Matt Burrows

Here is my new Leeson 609 with the new Bump headtube. Basically it is 2 headtubes joined together with stiff elastomers. Its designed to have a minimal effect on how the frame rides, but just cushion heavy front end impacts. So hopefully the frame should stand up to hooks and bumps better than a standard frame (hence the name). It costs £50 extra to have it if you want it. I'm currently giving it some abuse to see how it holds up. The frame itself rides like a dream and is great fun. 1040 wheelbase, +30 BB, awesome colour as well (Y). The frame should be in next months Hiphop I think.

What do you think of it?

post-18-1124563641_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124563843_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124564214_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124564555_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124564796_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124565207_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124565276_thumb.jpg

post-18-1124565370_thumb.jpg

Thats an idea.

I like it, it still looks clean, I guess it will take the hard shock out of when you bump, not sure how that will work ith hooks, but I guess it will, and its got a bigger contact area on which to join, so its all good I guess.

That bike is mint as well, looks really trialsy, but still fun, tell us how the tioga rim holds up, I've broken a rhyno lite in about 2 weeks (Y) (Y)

Won't the elastomers wear out after a while, like they do in car suspension? then again, thats a much bigger load/usage, but it would make the front end feel loose if they did? is it as stiff as a normal front end?

Edited by rich4130

oh my god, if that colour isnt the nicest colour ever , i dont know what is (Y) .

EDIT: Ok i didn't read properly and im an idiot... :">

You're right though, it is rather nice. Not that appealing to a mod boy though (Y)

Edited by PaRtZ

Won't the elastomers wear out after a while, like they do in car suspension?

Yeah, they will.

Cool idea, but I dont see what's wrong with a couple of gussets. If there's an advantage in the way it makes the bike ride though, then that might be a positive effect.

hey,

is it a spacific headset for it??

can you use the bumpyness to your advantage i.e bump it before a hop to get a spring outta the little bugger??

i use sus forks on my jump bike and can hop silly higher than my ashton?

i think i may have a bump when my ahston snap!!

that looks well gd, glad to see leeson trying yet more untried things (Y)

Clive seems to be having abit of a jolly at moment makign crazy new things. I'm just wondering whats next...

Frame looks lovely man, clive was trying to explain this to me on the phone but I just wasn't getting it, the conversation was going something like, "So, the rubber goes insed the headset?" (Y)

Hope it rides well, should be interesting to see how it copes.

Rich

Thats an idea.

I like it, it still looks clean, I guess it will take the hard shock out of when you bump, not sure how that will work ith hooks, but I guess it will, and its got a bigger contact area on which to join, so its all good I guess.

That bike is mint as well, looks really trialsy, but still fun, tell us how the tioga rim holds up, I've broken a rhyno lite in about 2 weeks :ermm:  :)

Won't the elastomers wear out after a while, like they do in car suspension? then again, thats a much bigger load/usage, but it would make the front end feel loose if they did? is it as stiff as a normal front end?

The bike hooks really nice. I was worried it might flex too much as I rely on lots of speed and a big bunnyhook but it just springs straight up, and the bike flicks through really easy. Its hard to say whether the headtube helps as the bike is so different to my old one but I certainly don't think it hinders riding.

Yeah I tried to get the bike as trialsy as Clive could make it. For the type of riding I do on street I think its perfect. After a few days riding I can do as big moves as I could on my Echo, 8 foot gap, 45" sidehop, ~5 foot hooks. The bike is a lot more fun to ride though and I seem to be able to navigate obstacles with a lot more control and style. Its even made me ride smooth! (well... smoother :P)

Yeah, they will.

Cool idea, but I dont see what's wrong with a couple of gussets. If there's an advantage in the way it makes the bike ride though, then that might be a positive effect.

Yeah Clive just doesn't like gussets, he's had limited sucess with them in the past. It's different at least :P

hey,

is it a spacific headset for it??

can you use the bumpyness to your advantage i.e bump it before a hop to get a spring outta the little bugger??

i use sus forks on my jump bike and can hop silly higher than my ashton?

i think i may have a bump when my ahston snap!!

Hey Kenny

It just uses a standard headset. Inside the short outer headtube is a standard, slightly longer headtube which the headset fits as normal. Like I said above its hard to say whether or not it helps riding. I'm still getting used to it so need to experiment with how hard you can hit it :D".

that looks well gd, glad to see leeson trying yet more untried things :D

how does it ride? does the new headtube elastomers make the forks feel flexy? does it feel like your bike is a marsh mellow?

ta

Will

Thats what I was worried about when I first saw it, but its surprisingly stiff.

Looks nice.  What head angle does it have?

Cheers. I think all Leesons are the same? Its around 73/74 degrees

Clive seems to be having abit of a jolly at moment makign crazy new things. I'm just wondering whats next...

Frame looks lovely man, clive was trying to explain this to me on the phone but I just wasn't getting it, the conversation was going something like, "So, the rubber goes insed the headset?"  :D

Hope it rides well, should be interesting to see how it copes.

Rich

Indeed, your frame certainly is different. I'm looking forward to seeing the mod hes making. Next time we ride together you'll have to have a go :P

Thanks for all the comments guys, the colour really is lush B)

Cheers. I think all Leesons are the same? Its around 73/74 degrees

Dunno. I remember Clive giving me the option of head angle, I went for a 74 anyway. I love it at that angle, much nicer than the 70 on my old Koxx. Yours is proabably pretty similar to mine then, so it probably rides as nice as mine :) It's nice to see someone else who has a fairly long-ish one that isn't just a street bike. The great thing is about it is that it rides pretty similar to a medium length bike (1060ish), but you can still throw it about better. Well, that's what I think anyway :ermm: