Hub Problems

JT!

My front sealed hub has stopped being smooth. Now when you spin the wheel it's really rough. :ermm: And just from a few hours ago it's started clicking. :) Is there anything i can do with it?

Cheers. :D :P

dont know much about them, but i know spares are very hard to get! it could be a shattered bearing posibly? since the bearings are placed under a lot of stress since the axle is divided into two sections! (fairy elephants shattered the bearing in his) have you stripped it?

dont know much about them, but i know spares are very hard to get! it could be a shattered bearing posibly? since the bearings are placed under a lot of stress since the axle is divided into two sections! (fairy elephants shattered the bearing in his) have you stripped it?

Well i'v taken the QR out and that's about it. :ermm: Didn't want to strip it as i wouldn't know what to do with it when i had it in bits anyway.

Take the cones off and just take as much out as possible and youll see the side of the cartridge bearing, it will have a red/blue/black seal(i dont own one of these hubs). Remove the seal using a screwdriver and look at the bearings inside, are they cracked,missing or just not very nice, if its either of these youll need new bearings/hub. If the bearings are just manky then you need to get them out using a screwdriver and soak them in petrol then leave to evapourate or set fire to petrol, grease with lithium grease and reassemble. It took enough time to write so i hope it helps, and whilst i was writing this im goin out with my ex agen so im chuffed :) :P

Cheers all, Kieron :ermm:

Take the cones off and just take as much out as possible and youll see the side of the cartridge bearing, it will have a red/blue/black seal(i dont own one of these hubs). Remove the seal using a screwdriver and look at the bearings inside, are they cracked,missing or just not very nice, if its either of these youll need new bearings/hub. If the bearings are just manky then you need to get them out using a screwdriver and soak them in petrol then leave to evapourate or set fire to petrol, grease with lithium grease and reassemble. It took enough time to write so i hope it helps, and whilst i was writing this im goin out with my ex agen so im chuffed :)  :P

Cheers all, Kieron :ermm:

Thanks for that, dosn't have any cones though. But i know what you mean.

Easier Version:

Take out Qr, then the little axle things. If bb's fall out then you need new ones  :ermm:"

Haha, much easier.

If it's only the bearings that's dosn't matter. I'll get in touch with whoever to get some new'ens. Just glad to know that it's not just going to explode when i next ride it.

My deore was like this too. I got two spanners and loosened the cones off until it was all wobly and then did them back up again and since then its been smooooooth!

Tried that a while ago, still rough. :ermm:

right i got the same hub at the mo and they are shite, and btw you will never find spares for it ever! just check that the bolt shaped end cap is tight on the right hand side. if it is then unscrew it with a spanner and pull the axle out, itll just pop right out. now you can get to the bearings, if they screwed then unlucky because ul stuggle to find replacements unless they identical to another companys hubs.

in my opinion just buy a hope xc and then your sorted for life, thats what im doing next week.

btw the above only applies if its the greyclassic hub not the american classic

right i got the same hub at the mo and they are shite, and btw you will never find spares for it ever! just check that the bolt shaped end cap is tight on the right hand side. if it is then unscrew it with a spanner and pull the axle out, itll just pop right out. now you can get to the bearings, if they screwed then unlucky because ul stuggle to find replacements unless they identical to another companys hubs.

in my opinion just buy a hope xc and then your sorted for life, thats what im doing next week.

btw the above only applies if its the greyclassic hub not the american classic

Thanks for that. When i asked for the hub i asked for an american classic hub, not a gray classic. I phoned bikedock one day and they told me that they are the same hub, just named differently. Is that bollocks?

Edited by JT!

remove wheel and QR, pull out axel end caps, pop off the bearing seals on the outside (you'll need a sharpe knife for this), if there is any evidence of damage to the bearings then pop them out (youll need to use a screwdriver and hammer) go to your local bearing supplier (find in yellow pages) and get a pair of replacements, press them in (use vice or similar), assemble rest of hub and off you go.

It's not exactly rocket science.

And in terms of american classic bearings being shite, its only the stupidly light one (micro 68 IIRC) that arent that good. I've had one of the non disc 120 sus hubs and a 140 disc for over a year each with no problems what so ever.

LMAO!!!! its a grey import of american classics by the sounds of it...........

anyway your local bearing manufaturer should be able to get some if your struggling with bike places. we have a local shop called "Spen Bearings" and they do everything!!!!!bearing wise and are much higher quality even though they are alot more money well worth it in the long run. they shhould have a number on the bearing rubber shield cover it is that that you need to know as it represents the size of the bearing. then you will be fine. ask your local engineering company who the local bearing supplier is as they use bearings on huge ass machines in engineering companies. therefore it will hopefully be easily solvable. but maybe not if its owt like a WTB laser lite hub as the bearings in those are the only ones i have come across so far that we havent been able to get from local bearing manufacturer. but they are supa crap.

Waynio.....................

I think i'm going to vent my anger out on bikedock again as it was suposed to be an american classic.  B)

btw yes they arent the same hub. well not according to what i been told, and bikedock wont be able to do much, except i got a new hub minus disc mount and qr for 20 quid so just nicked axle and bearing, sugest that to them :P