Ck Vs Profile

sammerz

its not about building its about the hub slipping..............

personally i dont like kings as in Auz back 2years i scared myself to death doing a quite larg drop and the hub turned about 1/4 of a pedal revolution and nearly stitched me up to be in a hospital bed for a few months!!!!!

as with my profile when i got back from auz i put it on and rode it and its still going strong today with lovatt!!!!

i only made the change to hope as i felt that if i was sponsored i dont care if i had 3 pick up points or bloody 360!!!! some people worry about pick ups because they are freaks about having the most engagements!!!!when its all about how you use the engagment you have got. iv got a mono with 24 pick ups or what ever it has. yet i can still do things that most other riders better than me can do. most things i find easier with a hope and they sounds sooooooo much kooler.

then again a king @ over £300 n odd quid..........hahahhaahha you have to be silly to spend that sort of ££££

as you could spend £140 or summit on a profile save yourself a wad of cash and make your bike so much better in other area's

thats on what i think on the chris king front and from my experience. pick up is not the issue if your going to be a good rider weather your hub/freewheel picks up once in a revolution you wouldnt mind!!!! as long as your having a good time and enjoying riding. who cares????

Waynio............................

EDT: Chris we are talking a mod hub here!!!! lol. god ican remember when the mod hubs were £425!!!! :( :("

Edited by Waynio

that is true about how you use the engangement... i rode a shimano for 5 months and i have to say i got used to it but it did scare me when you wanted to get away quickly LOL

but some say kings are weak..

you probly had an alu axle..

i think all the bmx hubs are heavy duety :(

but to me maybe kings are alittle over priced..

and profiles seem the more of a bargan

Edited by crazy_gap girl

kings are alright.

what wayne said about engagement points is spot on, it doesn't matter how many a hub has because you will always get used to it. i had a hope for a good 2 years and i never really had a problem with them, 1 snapped axle in that time and then i blew one up after the 2 years (expected to be fair).

but i had some extra dollar lying around and i thought i would pimp my new bike out and get a king with all the upgrades (HD axle, steel driveshell, funbolts) . when i first got it i stuck it on the xc bike and did a good 30miles on it. i did notice that the bearings were very tight when i got it new, but these did loosen up and as you would expect.

i was put off kings because of the skipping issues. people saying they skip a treat. but to be fair these "accusations" only seemed to come from people who had never had a king, apart from a few lads who have actually had bad experiences with them ie wayne and ben.

i really like my king and if you have some extra money lying around deffinatly have a go and get one, but if not i wouldnt bother, they arent REALLY worth the £300 odd.

EDIT can someone explain to me who has said about kings being weak what they actually mean? weak in what sence?

Edited by James_Porter

its not about building its about the hub slipping..............

personally i dont like kings as in Auz back 2years i scared myself to death doing a quite larg drop and the hub turned about 1/4 of a pedal revolution and nearly stitched me up to be in a hospital bed for a few months!!!!!

as with my profile when i got back from auz i put it on and rode it and its still going strong today with lovatt!!!!

i only made the change to hope as i felt that if i was sponsored i dont care if i had 3 pick up points or bloody 360!!!! some people worry about pick ups because they are freaks about having the most engagements!!!!when its all about how you use the engagment you have got. iv got a mono with 24 pick ups or what ever it has. yet i can still do things that most other riders better than me can do. most things i find easier with a hope and they sounds sooooooo much kooler.

then again a king @ over £300 n odd quid..........hahahhaahha you have to be silly to spend that sort of ££££

as you could spend £140 or summit on a profile save yourself a wad of cash and make your bike so much better in other area's

thats on what i think on the chris king front and from my experience. pick up is not the issue if your going to be a good rider weather your hub/freewheel picks up once in a revolution you wouldnt mind!!!! as long as your having a good time and enjoying riding. who cares????

Waynio............................

EDT: Chris we are talking a mod hub here!!!! lol. god ican remember when the mod hubs were £425!!!!  :(  :("

You had a profile on a stock? I know that phil williams had one but i werent sure if they were that good or not with bigger wheels. I may have to get one, has anyone else used a prfile on stock? If so was it good?

when i was talking about the kings being weak, i was talking about them with the weak axle in.

so to get a king hub working as good as a profile, you have to buy the hub, then upgrade axle, driveshell and funbolts. :angry:

seems very expensive to me!

and who has ever heard of a profile slipping as much as a king? :closedeyes:"

Who has ever heard of paying real prices for kings.

Ebay is the way, full hardcore stock king for £240, bmx king is a mere £210.

So to be honest, the "kings are too expensive, im gunna get a profile" stuff isn't really that justifiable.

The people who's kings slip have not bedded them in properly. I could buy a profile hub for my bike and put on my bike upsidedown/back to front and come on here saying "profiles are f**king shit, dont get one they just dont work"

its the same thing as not bedding a king in properly.

And its the same for everything. Im not saying one is better than the other, but to me a well set up king (which isnt hard) will be more reliable and last longer than a profile on a stock.

For mod I say profile, a little heavy but by far and away the cheaper and I dont think you will have problems with it.

Edited by JIX

kings CHEAP!!!

there you go wayne £210 quid

all you young uns with your cheap chris kings, i remember when £360 for a stock king was cheap, mine was £190 2nd hand!! eh by gum..

at the end of the day trials is hard on bikes/components there is always gonna be someone who's breaks something within a week. A guy called Tom from wakefield, tried a profile (on stock) , but had nothing but trouble with bits breaking and it skipping and stuff, where as my king goes for months (last one was at xmas) without a service and doesn't skip/slip!

True, you can get a king for £200, the profiles are £234.00 or something on wiggle and thats in a 10% off sale!

lmoa

i got my profile brand new built onto a D521 for £150 @ Aire Valley.

which remionds me wayne how much can u get me another one for think the ti glide is about ready to join some of your frames in the bike shop in the sky???

Maybe yours was built wrong.

Yeah if I recall correct, i only ran 6 of the available 32 spokes, each of which had no nipples, and if I also remember right, that big bit of metal that goes through the hub, which holds the wheel in the drop out? Well I never had one of those, that might of been the cause of the muchos rolling resistance present on my bike.......

Also, your post up there ^^^ about the bedding in thing, what if the helical splines have twisted slightly over time? It's still going to slip, doesn't mean its not bedded in properly?

Edited by Fishwog

Ive got 2 mates who both have chris kings (classic) and it always slips, and i have another mate who has a profile and i never heard it slip once.

My point is that with a chris king slipping all the time it only a matter of time until it slips on something big, like doing a gap, or something like that and then your screwed.

I did want a chris king (bmx) but i didnt really know if it would slip like the 26inch ones do, has anyone got a ck bmx hub? and does it slip much?

Cheers,

Tom

Kings only slip when they are not looked after properly.

icould 100% prove you wrong on that.............mine was kept upto serviced every 2weeks. drive shell out and such forth.EDIT thats not a dig or anything just that the way that that could come across. mine were looked after and still let me down :blink: :ermm:

profile as they engage on a "normal" system, a king engages on a drive ring system, in other words its a ring locking to another sort of thing. as a profile its a spring and a pawl and kapish it engages and picks up, call me old fashioned :o :o but i think the more reliable stuff are the things that are simplest. only from my experience some people have no problems what so ever with kings. i had a few problems with mine and was near killed..........thats why i dont use them any more.

some people want to get a profile for the system they are run on.

they are awesum good pick up and are very durable and strong due to their experience in the BMX market.

Waynio...........................

Edited by Waynio