Cheap Wheel Set For A Street/mess Around Bike

SebJT

Hello,

building myself a get around bike, also to mess around in park, street and dirt.

I want some cheap wheels so i was gonna go for a crc wheelset. Ive decided on X721 rims, as they will be the best but as for hubs im not sure. The deore, dmr revolvers and gt hadley hubs are all around the same price, but what is the best option?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Seb

hadley hubs self destruct

dmr revolver hubs are frickin great, solid and reliable, get the ss version with an acs as rich said, for good reliability

deore, for the price, are very good too, i ran 1 for 3 years with no probs, even for trials use(ok appauling pickup!)

so anyway, what rich said, dmr on acs rear, deore upfront (Y) cheap and solid!

I'd go for the DMR, i plain hate Deores on the rear, and the GT/Hadley hubs seem to like destroying it's self.

One note - It's personal preference but on those kinda bikes I'd reccomend gears, (unless you chose your gearing very carefully) as otherwise it just gets a pain in the arse...

Good choice of rims BTW (Y)

i'd go with dmr front and rear

dewhore front hubs seem to have a habit of their axels snapping (ive killed 2 riding street and dirt), the rears arent too bad but i would prefer the dmr.

in terms of whether to go for gears or not, i have a dirt/street/get to uni bike thats built out of old bits i had lying around and have found that the simplicity of a single gear (nowt to go rong or not shift properly) is a godsend, it took me a chouple of attempts to get the right ratio, but its worth the fiddling.

Hey,

I got a XT hub used for about a month £20 and a d521 ceramic £15 and a silver £10

PM me if you're interested,

good luck with the build as i know you didn't post in the for "sale/wanted" section, so this was just incase you were interested and to help you save some money...... (Y)

Neil (Y)

i'd go with dmr front and rear

dewhore front hubs seem to have a habit of their axels snapping (ive killed 2 riding street and dirt), the rears arent too bad but i would prefer the dmr.

in terms of whether to go for gears or not, i have a dirt/street/get to uni bike thats built out of old bits i had lying around and have found that the simplicity of a single gear (nowt to go rong or not shift properly) is a godsend, it took me a chouple of attempts to get the right ratio, but its worth the fiddling.

Thats exactly what i'm doing really just popping bits together from my garage. But im missing a rear wheel and got a shitty front one.

Ive looked at the hubs a bit closer, and i think ill go for the dmr ones, as i have a deore and they come loose as they are not sealed.

What is the freehub like on the DMRs? as i would prefer to run 9 gears, but if theyre a bit shoddy might just go single speed, after ive been using a bmx for the past year with no problem.

Thanks

Seb