My Drive-train Is Not Heaven's Door,

Mark W

Ahoy.

Right. Drive-train. Quite often (read: bloody often, but does have periods of silence), there's a hollow 'knocking' noise coming from my drive-train area, every time a crank gets to the bottom of the stroke (or one gets to the top then the bottom, but I think it's to do with the bottom part...).

It did it with my Gigapipe, and it's doing it with my new FSA. It did it with X-Pedals on, and it's doing it with Wellgos on. I'm not sure if it did it with my Eno on, but I know it does it with the Claw on (I think it did do it with the Eno on, but not 100%).

It doesn't do it when I back-pedal.

Any suggestions, anyone? There's nothing in the way of the cranks they'd be clipping as they went past it or anything like that, so I'm stumped. Everything's tight and locktited, so I'm out of ideas (N)

Mark

I do have a stiff link in my chain that I can't get out for love nor money, but I wouldn't have thought it would've knocked every 1/2 stroke, and sometimes not at all. It's been stiff since I had it anyway (had 3 stiff links, only joined it once?).

Rear sprocket is just a 12t screw-on one, so I guess it could be that it's worn and 'hooking' the chain or something, but I'd have felt that through the pedals?

That's another thing - you can't feel it through the pedals, just hear it...

Either your bearings are shot, happened with 2 bbs for me now, or your cups or frame is egged. Get some plumbing ptfe tape, wipe ALL the grease off the cup threads and inside the shell and wrap the tape round the cup threads starting on the inside working out. Tighten the BB back in and see what it's like.

If you dont have ptfe tape, just over fill it with grease.

Either your bearings are shot, happened with 2 bbs for me now, or your cups or frame is egged. Get some plumbing ptfe tape, wipe ALL the grease off the cup threads and inside the shell and wrap the tape round the cup threads starting on the inside working out. Tighten the BB back in and see what it's like.

If you dont have ptfe tape, just over fill it with grease.

That's the thing, 2 BB's, exact same problem? There's no play *anywhere* at all, and you can't feel a wobble or that weird off-axis feeling you get when you pedal as though it was loose. It's all tight and fine, which is why I don't get it (N)

Nope, the chain's totally free-running...

Erm.....the Heatsink booster templates are getting stuck, and should be sent back to Steve so i can have a gander? (Y) (Y)

The pins aren't catching are they? on anything? If in doubt, take everything off, and clean it up. Maybe that'll work (N) Otherwise you'll end up going crazy with the mystery sound (Y)

That's the thing, 2 BB's, exact same problem? There's no play *anywhere* at all, and you can't feel a wobble or that weird off-axis feeling you get when you pedal as though it was loose. It's all tight and fine, which is why I don't get it (N)

Lean your bike against the wall at a 45deg angle with a pedal vertical to the ground.. Put your finger on the bb cup/bb shell and stand on the pedal/crank and see if you can feel where it is 'popping'. You may also be able to see a gap opening up in any grease or grime in that area.

May help you locate it a little easier.

It was with both different pedals, *but* I've lost the back plate for the Tensile's pedal thread bits. I had it like that when I first tested the Tensiles for Onza though, and there was no knock?

This f**king sucks (Y)

I was gonna post the templates today, but a ride came up (Dave33 turned up (Y)).

Erm, yeah, so in summary:

There's nothing catching the chain.

There's nothing rubbing.

There's nothing loose.

etc.

I don't get it (N)

Lean your bike against the wall at a 45deg angle with a pedal vertical to the ground.. Put your finger on the bb cup/bb shell and stand on the pedal/crank and see if you can feel where it is 'popping'. You may also be able to see a gap opening up in any grease or grime in that area.

May help you locate it a little easier.

Yeah, I tried doing that too, but there's just no sign of anything being loose.

I even checked my frame to see if the rear triangle was hanging off or something, but it's all fine...

I think you should grease it, and then let it be, even if it is still making a noise. If everyting is tight and greased then it shouldn't be a problem, just as long as you don't feel something horribly wrong.

My headset makes noises :sleeping:

Edited by jamesb

id say it would be either the bb or the pedals mine make a 'knock knock knockin on heavens door' kinda sound too :sleeping:

just check the bb and pedals, my old bb sounded like a beast but it was still smooth? drive chains are damn awkward if you can check the bit individually,

if you have an old bb maybe stick that in and see if the noise goes away or switch the pedals :(

mine does this aswell when i apply pressure at the same points you have said about.....

it randomly decides when to make noise.... all i did is have the bb regreased or replaced cant remember and then it was fine.......... starting again now though!

oggy

my suggestion would be to start looking in other laces, just because the noise appears when you pedal, doesn't necessarily mean that it is to do with the drive train. Heres a couple of things i would check:

Front and Rear wheel cones/bearings,

Headset tightness/wear on the headset bearings,

Best thing to do if you are really stumped is write down all of the similarities(in the spec etc) between the other bike you speak of and your current bike and then test each thing and rule it out if i doesn't make any difference,

If that doesn't work and it still makes the noise then i cant hep soz,

Hope that helped in some way