My Drive-train Is Not Heaven's Door,

Mark W

Here:

Have this ' I'm f**king useless' medal.

*note signature*

Go screw yourself.

Ermm....chain aint catching on bashplate? or on frame?

why dont you two just go into control panel and block each other so you dont have to read their posts. its that simple!!!!

then no need to have an argument in a thread

do that by CONTROLS > MANAGE IGNORED USERS > TYPE IN NAME > click 'UPDATE IGNORED USERS'

thanks

I used to have this problem with an XC bike and after a long time trying to locate the source it turned out that it was the cheap pedal bearings. The lube had washed away.

It was hard to locate the source playing around in the shed because it only happened when I loaded up the pedals, i.e. was sprinting on the bike, and I didn't have a spare set of pedals to swap over so I could test.

Try a 3rd set of pedals which you're 100% sure have decently lubed bearings I'd suggest. Pedals that don't click on someone elses bike.

If that's not the issue then you'll have to repeat the "change one thing" at a time thing until the sound goes.

Steve

Ad - I tried as hard as I could to sorta replicate my forward pedalling cadence but backwards, if you get me? So there was still almost the same power, and it was in the same sorta motion if you get me. The chain's slack as hell too, if that makes a difference?

Steve - gonna go post the templates now :sleeping: Found a book of stamps on a ride last weekend, so I can even post it for free :P But yeah, about the pedals: my X-pedals (which were on there) did it, as do my new Wellgo V8 copies. The X-pedals were a little buggered anyway, but not in any major way really, and they'd stopped feeling like there was play in them and so on just by swapping the pedal bodies over (go rectangular cross section!). My Wellgos had gotten properly loose yesterday too, but I tightened them, and it's still being retarded.

I'm going to go and use my lovely new Fat Spanner tool to take it out now and grease the tats out of it (the BB that is :().

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

I have got a brand new T-pro, out of the box less than a week ago and mine is doing exactly the same. I have looked everywhere. All bearings, cogs, pedals everything is tight and as it should be. What components do you have from your original T-pro?

Sucks don't it!

My rear hub and front hub came from some year 2000 T-Pros, but that's the only shared product from a T-Pro original build :sleeping:

I've got:

Zona Zip frame

FSA Platinum Pro DH BB (And previously a Gigapipe with the same problem)

Tensile cranks

Azonic X-Pedals/Wellgo V8 copies

KHE Collapse Pro Chain

12t rear sprocket

I cant see it being the hubs as it doesn't do it all the time, like you said it's only when your pedals are at the bottom and a hub would be at anytime probably even when you're not pedaling. I'm stuck! If it was a clicking or crunching I would be able to find it but it's such a distant noise I can't pin point it.

Yeah, I was just saying the hubs were the only original part, I didn't think it was actually them.

It's just weird how it sounds like it's reverberating around the frame, as opposed to just making a noise.

Shitty shit shit shit!

Yeah, I was just saying the hubs were the only original part, I didn't think it was actually them.

It's just weird how it sounds like it's reverberating around the frame, as opposed to just making a noise.

Shitty shit shit shit!

Tell me about it. My bike is brand new, with brand new everything! :sleeping:

I have got a brand new T-pro, out of the box less than a week ago and mine is doing exactly the same. I have looked everywhere. All bearings, cogs, pedals everything is tight and as it should be. What components do you have from your original T-pro?

Sucks don't it!

Have you tried tightening the freewheel? Freewheels knock when they're loose...

Greased the *shit* out of my BB, and it's so far remained quiet, apart from a few rogue noises from my chain. Other than that, I'm hoping it's worked. Gotta ride to work today on it, so I'll find out then I guess.

***Fingers crossed***

Is there any chance that your cranks could be hitting your magura cylinder? there's a fair bit of flex from the bb to the end of the crank.

Nah, it's not that.

They're all lubed and stuff, and it seems to have virtually eliminated it all. There's some creaking, but that's most shite pedals :(

Happier now anyway :sleeping:

Try bending the links back and forth around your stiff link to try and slacken it off, but im guessing you already knew that.

I have big problems riding with a stiff chain it scares me, i think it must be your front tyre making the noise though (Y)

HAHAHA f**k YOU KNOCKING!

Got the Eno back on, and it's all stopped from what I can tell. In your face, ACS Claw :P Knew that piece of shit freewheel probably had something to do with it.

It's hard to describe just how much better this Eno feels than the Claw :P

Why did you have the ACS on in the first place? :P

I ripped the driveshell off the Eno (long, trouser-related story), and in doing so bent my lockring loads. So I had to order a new lockring, and that took ages to come, so I was ACS'd up.

Completly off-topic (i seem to be doing a lot of these lately. :P ), but that thread title is the best i have ever seen, ever. Fact. True story.

I love you Mark.

We aim to please.

That works out as around 2" in, with men.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Sorry for the mahoosive bump. Mark I have the same problem as you had. When I put pressure on the cranks it clicks and clunks like hell. Did changing your freewheel sort it for good? Or did it come back?

But yeah sorry for reviving this ancient thread

Seeing this thread title with my name attributed to it confused the shit out of me 'til I saw the date. Anyways, I think it solved it, but checking your BB is a good place to start as that's often where the knocking will be coming from.

Haha. I'm pretty sure it's not the bb as it feels as smooth as anything when the cranks are off. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the chain skipping off the sprocket/freewheel. But the reason why I revived this thread is because it seems to be exactly the same problem. As in I can't feel it when pedal kicking and stuff like that just when normal cycling. But it's totally rideable(I think!) so I'll just have to live with it.

Edited by koxxboy14

Took the bb off last week greased and cleaned all the threads and put it back in so it's all tight. Greased the cranks and pedals and everything. But today when I first put my wheel back on the chain was tight and it stopped doing it. So I guess it must be the chain. But my chain comes loose almost straight away.