The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Are we debating whether body building is gay?

No is the answer we are discussing weight lifting in general, so if you have nothing to say dont, its better that way.

Why add a pointless comment like that when you know you will get flamed for it and aslo you ruin a perfectly good topic.

As I said before

BUTT OUT.

hey mat, it looks like you've pulled, he siad he wants u to get ur butt out lmao!

sorry, enough of the sillyness, matt hudson ur just childish :(

free weights feel alot heavier than isolated machines. but how much easier are free weight machines and i feel that you can push yourself abit harder. especially as most of the time im at the gym on my own.

i often do my first two sets on free weights then last set on the machine just so i push abit harder without worrying about dropping it lol i find i lift about 20kgs more on a machine than free weights when bench pressing. also the bar at the gym with no weights on ain't exactly light!

also 5 days a week is some fair dedication i just can't be arsed lol.

gallery_4006_441_52754.jpg

Someones been working out :-

haha, i actually found that funny :( :- ^_^

also the bar at the gym with no weights on ain't exactly light!

also 5 days a week is some fair dedication i just can't be arsed lol.

Yeah, if you are using the bar with the parts on the end which go wide and spin round (where you put the weights on) the bar alone weighs 20KG. its called the olympic bar :P

I only go 5 times a week cause i have nowt else to do lol.

i like working out, its awsome!

And had their cock taken off? Or is that a funtastic side effect of steroids too?

i was just thining the same B)

Edited by terror-error

Ive been considering joing the gym at uni seen as its so cheap (£8 induction then £1.20 a pop) but havent got round to it yet. I went a few times over summer with a mate of mine whos in the RAF so goes like 4/5 times a week. As for bench pressing a free bar is a LOT harder than any machine. I was doing about 40kg on a free bar with my knackered shoulder where as my mate was doing 100kg which made me feel small hehe. I enjoyed it more than i thought actually i just dont have the diet to go with it :P

Slightly off from what you guys are talking about, but loads of people talk about fast twitch muscles being good for trials, for quick bursts of power, does anybody work out to build muscles for that purpose? (if there is a workout to concentrate on getting faster muscles??? :P )

At a guess, Im too lazy to goole it, but isnt it lifting weight at small reps in a rapid motion.

i think it is yes.

Like you lift, say, 12.5kg dumbells, do 6 reps, up as fast as you can, then slowly down. like jet li, he done plyometrics and its made him really fast and shit

If you can lift 80kg on a machine, but only 65kg when you free lift them, you're doing something wrong. Get your technique bang on and you should be able to life similar amounts.

And I don't know of any 15 year old bodybuilders, bar that little kid who met Arny and was built like a beast. I'd rather look like Bruce Lee's Master's son than a body builder, he's in his 60s aswell. No definition just pure healthyness and hard as a rock.

Been thinking about joining the gym for a while now cause im a fat b*****d and want a deffined body :)

Got one at college that I can use for free I think, just need to prove that I can do some things with machines and be told how to use them correctly I think.

Is it really worth going to the gym???

I can lift about 30KG then I die, but I have had 3 bags of 16Kg flour on 1 shoulder :P lol

If you can lift 80kg on a machine, but only 65kg when you free lift them, you're doing something wrong. Get your technique bang on and you should be able to life similar amounts.

And I don't know of any 15 year old bodybuilders, bar that little kid who met Arny and was built like a beast. I'd rather look like Bruce Lee's Master's son than a body builder, he's in his 60s aswell. No definition just pure healthyness and hard as a rock.

That first bit is crap, o have a look at a lot of the machines and youll notice they have about 4 wires and pulleys so lifting the weight wil work a muscle in a certain way. Lots of puleys mean lots of leverage ratios therefore your in theory not lifting what you think you are.

I only use the machines that are a simple up and down movement and require just 1 bit of wire, oh and freeweights.

Been thinking about joining the gym for a while now cause im a fat b*****d and want a deffined body :)

Got one at college that I can use for free I think, just need to prove that I can do some things with machines and be told how to use them correctly I think.

Is it really worth going to the gym???

I can lift about 30KG then I die, but I have had 3 bags of 16Kg flour on 1 shoulder :P lol

My advise go try t out, if you dont like it dont force yourself to do it. I go to the gym 3 times a week becsue I enjoy an hour or so every so often. I use the gym to build my upper body and ride to keep me fit, oh I do other sports aswell for fitness.

Key is dont make it a chore because then it will become crap and dont over do it, too much of one thing can be bad for you and boring in the end.

That first bit is crap, o have a look at a lot of the machines and youll notice they have about 4 wires and pulleys so lifting the weight wil work a muscle in a certain way. Lots of puleys mean lots of leverage ratios therefore your in theory not lifting what you think you are.

I'm trying to work out in my head how a pully increases the ease of leverage. It usually prevents friction, but I can't see how it makes it easier to lift something :P