The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

i got one of them, and its horrible, it flexes, its not straight (sits an inch higher on the right than the left till i stick some weight on it, and just feels crap).

however i havent trained really since september, am trying to get into it, but at the moment, its just bare cardio with a couple of bits of weights mixed in, might try my hand at some alternative training methods in the coming months, want to cut down to 190 lbs or so by summer. (todays weight was 232 pounds, down from 250)

although my weight may be the reason the bar flexes so much.

Pretty happy, got well into the gym recently, got up to 25kilos on each arm doing dumbell presses, and went up a weight in all my other chest excerisizes y.day. Feel like I should really start working my legs abit, not to sure what a good routine would be though? I seem to do everything else in sets of 4, so some kind of plan that follows that would be good, any advice?

Join a gym or get more weights first, theres not an awful lot that they'll be useful for really.

EDIT: Thinking about it, you could do stuff like lateral raises, curls and flys, just depends how strong you are to start with.

Edited by Muel

Just done a shitload of weights with jonnys help over msn. Been doing them properly since my birthday now alongside eating loads of eggs and tuna and what not. Made sure to get correct techniques now too so it's all looking a lot better. The difference is now huge from last year and now.

So just started riding again and my wrists are hurting bare when riding, like even when dropping off curbs :S:( So think im gonna get some of these http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/other/...ips/7203_p.html Is there anything else i could get/do which would help wrist/finger muscles?

billx

To be completely honest, you're probably best off just riding more often and making your wrists stronger that way. But yes, they will help to a degree.

Yea i was thinking that that would probs be the best way to sort out my fingers but my wrists actually hurt badly when i drop my front wheel which isnt nice or i wouldn't of thought paticually good for them either... Feels like the bones taking the impact which isn't good...

billx

right, as some of you know i am joing the army.. so as working on my fitness i joined the gym, more running etc

played about with the weight, machines rather than free. and now i am starting to reep the rewards and see a physical change in arm, leg and generally bulking up more (was a skinny runt)

its got me wanting to look into it more seriously, as a basic when i get to the gym i do a 4km run, followed by 6km bike ride then started on the weights, but after reading into a bit i hear this is not a good thing to do, so thinking of ditching the gym for running completely and keeping that outside.

so running etc one day, then gym for weights the next..

normal i am on the cable jungle, bicep curls 25kg 12 reps 4 times, full arm extension nice and slow. and then a mixture of other things, couldn;t tell you what there called but, pulling the bar down towards you, 55kg 12 reps 4 times etc. i really have no idea what i am doing to be honest.

so, yeah.. people hit me up with what to do, i am liking the change so wanna keep on it and bulk up a bit more

but i have to run 3 times a week for the army, no questions asked here peeps

There are people a lot more experienced here with actually getting strong, but when it comes to being fit I'd like to say I'm somewhere up there here... And my advice to you would be to use free weights as much as possible. Obviously there are some exercises you NEED machines for, but free weights are much better for working with. You won't be working a single muscle, you'll always be working the stabilising muscles around it.

How far away from the gym are you? Maybe you could just run there so you're not losing that nice bit of warmup?

gym is about 2 miles away, can do a little warm up.. its just i normally run the 4km at full wack at the gym.

will do a little warm up then try doing the free weights now, just stick to runnig outside.. treadmills suck balls anyways

Handy little tip: If you ever have to use the treadmill, don't use it on anything less than 2% incline. 2% incline on a treadmill is normally around about how flat feels outside and it's better for your legs (Y)

You'll find you can lift substantially less with free weights, but you should feel a much better burn :)

• 4 weeks later...

ive realised how much sugar is in fresh orange juice. probably the 'best kind' if theres such a thing.

im wondering why ive never heard anyone mention drinking fresh orange juice to replenish energy, i.e. if your doing endurance exercise. cus half a litre of orange juice has like 45g of sugar in or something like that.

Dose anyone know the best way to even out your Lats?

like one of them is bigger/stronger currenlty?

do barbell rows and weighted pull ups, then both lats get the same amount of weight to lift and the weaker side catches up

So just started riding again and my wrists are hurting bare when riding, like even when dropping off curbs :S:( So think im gonna get some of these http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/other/...ips/7203_p.html Is there anything else i could get/do which would help wrist/finger muscles?

billx

Dont buy them, they are rubbish. You want Heavy grips

They actually work and come in different strengths. Used to have the 100, 150 and 200lb ones. 200 was a challenge

just had 2 weeks off the training/weight loss wagon, and its totally killed me, havent really trained all that much in the last year or so, weighed 17 stone 8 on april 11th, managed to get it down to 15 12 by the end of may. but 2 weeks of hard drinking and eating to deal with hangovers, pretty much every day, hgas left me at 16 stone 9. I honestly didnt think I could pile on the pounds that quick.

but to anyone who says they have trouble sticking weight on. either

Your lieing

or

I quite simply hate you.

Has anyone ever followed Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Program?

Just a few questions for anyone who has;

How long did you stay on the program?

What were your gains both in lifts and body transformations?

What did you follow the program with?

I quite simply hate you.

I wish I could put weight on :( But at the same time I feel for you, trying real hard and then just having a laugh for a couple of weeks erases all that hard work. At least you get the fun of working it all off again eh?!

I wish I could put weight on :( But at the same time I feel for you, trying real hard and then just having a laugh for a couple of weeks erases all that hard work. At least you get the fun of working it all off again eh?!

Yea see, its not like its the end of the world, but im possibly going bulgaria 18-30'in it in 3 weeks, and then were goin lastminute to another 18-30 resort in mid august. now working out theres 9 weeks between now and mid august, if id stayed at 15 12(i.e not lost anything those 2 weeks, but not gained anything) and lost 2.5 pounds a week till my holiday, id be like 14 stone 3, which would be an acceptable size to go topless on the beach. but now going from 16 9, at 2.5 pounds a week, puts me at 15 stone, which is a wee bit too podgy to be sitting on the beach, tits out like.