The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Iv been piling the fat on recently like! getting a huge belly now! also went up to a 38¨ waist :Slol, Used to be a 32¨ last year :Swtf? lol. I put it down to me being very lazy this year, havnt been on my bike since well before Christmas and havnt done any exercise apart from work! lol

We should have a trials-forum transformation competition, time for some motivation! :lol:

In august last year I was 11st 4lbs, at the end of september I was 12st 2lbs, and I've just carried on, at the moment I'm the fattest I've been since I was about 11. :(

We should have a trials-forum transformation competition, time for some motivation! :lol:

I have been doing on another forum. Gaining actual weight in muscle while staying very lean quite successfully and making a big improvement now :D

Protien and creotine, worth it?

I was just starting to get really into the gym, and the diet to acompany it, getting really enthusiastic, had a good routine sorted, but then I ran out of money :( no money, no gym membership. I dont have the motivation to do it at home either.

Protien and creotine, worth it?

I was just starting to get really into the gym, and the diet to acompany it, getting really enthusiastic, had a good routine sorted, but then I ran out of money :( no money, no gym membership. I dont have the motivation to do it at home either.

You don't need gym membership really once you've got a set of weights. I do all mine at home and the only problem i've found is that i need to buy heavier discs now i'm improving. I think if you're motivated enough to go to the gym in the first place a home workout isn't going to be a problem.

You don't need gym membership really once you've got a set of weights. I do all mine at home and the only problem i've found is that i need to buy heavier discs now i'm improving. I think if you're motivated enough to go to the gym in the first place a home workout isn't going to be a problem.

Getting a decent weight set up is expensive. like 12-18 months worth of reasonably expensive gym membership, and even then your not going to have all the machines to use. not to mention if your using dumbells, either gettin a bowflex set up or the like(the one where you select the weights by rotating the collars like 3-25kg)will set you back £150+, just using regular ones with interchangable weight discs takes the piss changin weight the whole time. and buying loadsa individual dumb bell sets is stupid expensive.

but to get a 150kg olympic weight set and a bench your looking like £300, and you still dont have a squat rack at the end of that.

Getting a decent weight set up is expensive. like 12-18 months worth of reasonably expensive gym membership, and even then your not going to have all the machines to use. not to mention if your using dumbells, either gettin a bowflex set up or the like(the one where you select the weights by rotating the collars like 3-25kg)will set you back £150+, just using regular ones with interchangable weight discs takes the piss changin weight the whole time. and buying loadsa individual dumb bell sets is stupid expensive.

but to get a 150kg olympic weight set and a bench your looking like £300, and you still dont have a squat rack at the end of that.

I know, that's why i said once you've got them ;)

To be fair, those bowflex things are no different from ordinary spinlock disc setups only a damn sight more expensive (being that you can buy the rack only for £150+ ;)) and probably good for those without basic maths skills. A couple of these or bigger and some bars gives you basically all you need for freeweight stuff. Changing the discs is hardly a chore and takes all of a few seconds, somewhat of an ironic principle behind the bowflex ones.

Has anyone ever followed Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Program?

Just a few questions for anyone who has;

How long did you stay on the program?

What were your gains both in lifts and body transformations?

What did you follow the program with?

I did it but got caught up in school and rugby so wasn't on it very long. I had been to the gym previously so for the most part, so I'd already been through my noob gains but developed a lot in 5/6 weeks of doing it. I was doing it when I was 15/16, (now 17) so I've naturally grown and developed since then but I've never looked as good or been as strong as I had been when I was doing Rippetoe's program. And that was without supplements - just eating more and drinking 2 pints milk at lunch times Mon - Fri.

I would really recommend it for a beginner to lifting because of the simplicity of the regime and it targets your core heavily and aims to quickly improve base strength levels, so gives you the ability to extend your program and introduce new lifts once you've decided you've finished with it.

Well I usually start with spirit and mixer, low volume and gets you drunk fast if you mix it generously, then later on I move to beer as it keeps going and lasts a nice while...

Well my current warm up consists of a couple of tripple shorts, then move onto the core pint drinking, and warm down with a couple more shorts.

Just wondering if there were any better techniques people would suggest?

52.5kg bench, but for 3 reps as that's the most weight I can fit on my bar. :lol:

Dunno any others, I never bother any more.

Mate, you've never seen the bruce willis film unbreakable? Get some carrier bags and hook the weights over the end of the lockrings inside the bags ;)