The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Nearest gym is miles away and costs a fortune.

I can't be bothered spending £30 just to find my 1rep max either, I only need more weight for my 1 rep max bench press anyway.

Well you should spend an extra £30 to get stronger, cos you really do not have enough weight to really gain anything strength wise.

Oh and to the guy who was asking about rippetoes I followed it for a while and saw pretty major gains in every lift except the bench press, added around 40kg to my squat in not much time at all, but then I got lazy and stopped.

Weight wise I put on about 6kg, near enough a stone, not sure whether this was due to just getting older though.. similar to spazz.

Were probably not the best people to ask, cos well, for me anyway I didn't follow it very strictly or for a great deal of time and with a poor diet, but for a starting routine it is ideal as it gives you a main three exercises per workout, then you can add what ever exercises you want to that pretty much. Give this site Starting strength wiki a read, if you haven't already.

Oh and although I got to lazy to really stick to it, I read a good follow on program is Bill star's 5x5.

Edited by manxrider

Yer id be up for that challenge muel said about the transformation.

I can bench 110 1 rep max, and do sets of 10 x 3 with 80kg. I don't really train to try and set one max reps though, just for power and strength. Recently ive got really into deadlifts.

Tom, id recommend PHD Synergy if your wanting to bulk up, in 7 months i put on 3 stone, I was coming from basically a starved Ethiopians body though.

Well you should spend an extra £30 to get stronger, cos you really do not have enough weight to really gain anything strength wise.

When i run out of weight on the lifts when I'm training, I will. My 1rep max just doesn't bother me that much. :P

Edited by Muel

We should have a trials-forum transformation competition, time for some motivation! :lol:

does anyone have a bodyspace here?

What kinda 1 rep max's are people doing then?

squat 178kg (ass to grass)

deadlift 220kg

bench 113kg

I read a good follow on program is Bill star's 5x5.

yeah i did that one for 13 or 14 weeks, amazing results

Recently ive got really into deadlifts.

if you ride trials thats perfect excersise for you ;)

btw can people tell me their max deadlift, bodyweight and sidehop height or max static rear wheel gap lenght? would be interesting to compare and then people would know if they need more strenght or explosiveness to improve or maybe its just the technique

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a bump....

Im currently gyming alot, since I got my membership back and am now on summer hols bored as foook, I go alot, however Im working say chest/triceps one day, back/shoulders/biceps the next, legs the next and then a day of cardio.

I was reading up on the web and it said that a gym session should last 3 hours to get a dece. benifit from it? and then 2-3 days a week off from gyming. However working 2 muscle groups per time my sessions seem to last about an hour? thats with a variation of exersizes per muscle (i.e: chest; bench, incline bench, flys, press ups.) Im not sure if im not working hard enough? Also, yesterday for example, i went and did chest, and worked to failiure on all my chest exercizes and then did a drop set to failure, which seems to be similar to that of the original weight, about 6-8reps. However today no chest ache atall, normally my muscles ache like a beast, but recently not so much?

Yet another query, I eat a fair amount, and do cardio, I assume eating things high in protien etc. and then burning off the fat=win because muscles get there replenishment and I shouldnt be putting on weight, thus gaining muscle, and definition? Yay or ney?

Also, I leave a week before re-working a muscle, I assume thats a minimum requirment?

Cheers..

Bit of a bump....

Im currently gyming alot, since I got my membership back and am now on summer hols bored as foook, I go alot, however Im working say chest/triceps one day, back/shoulders/biceps the next, legs the next and then a day of cardio.

I was reading up on the web and it said that a gym session should last 3 hours to get a dece. benifit from it? and then 2-3 days a week off from gyming. However working 2 muscle groups per time my sessions seem to last about an hour? thats with a variation of exersizes per muscle (i.e: chest; bench, incline bench, flys, press ups.) Im not sure if im not working hard enough? Also, yesterday for example, i went and did chest, and worked to failiure on all my chest exercizes and then did a drop set to failure, which seems to be similar to that of the original weight, about 6-8reps. However today no chest ache atall, normally my muscles ache like a beast, but recently not so much?

Yet another query, I eat a fair amount, and do cardio, I assume eating things high in protien etc. and then burning off the fat=win because muscles get there replenishment and I shouldnt be putting on weight, thus gaining muscle, and definition? Yay or ney?

Also, I leave a week before re-working a muscle, I assume thats a minimum requirment?

Cheers..

everyones different, so trains for different amount of times, and some people find things work for them better than others(not so much the science, more the mentality) i.e some people argue that they only get to the gym twice a week, and are proper fired up for it when there there, so make better gains doing it that way, as when they go every day it ends up becoming routine, and they just go in, do their weights and leave, and dont really push it. Others argue that after an hour there concentration/interest/focus wanders, and as a result, they stop working as hard.

Likewise some people argue that, you shouldnt work out for that long, as you no longer have the energy to push yourself, others say you should work out for longer, as your working your muscles more by doing more lifts/exercises, and more work = more gain.

Same goes for the frequency of training, it may take several days to recover from a training session, and training every day, leaving only 1 day gaps between muscle groups will make you ache like hell, but doing this forces your body to adapt to cope with the demands placed upon it, and in the end you end up with a stronger ( and possibly bigger) muscle that can work for longer, more often. (this is also why you cant walk for a couple of days the first time you go the gym properly(although my reason for not being able to walk, was using the sauna post workout and meeting a chap called Cecil in there) and why you soon just begin to ache a little).

Its all about finding what works for you. (and likewise switching up length, frequency etc of workouts, as again, doing that is forcing the body to adapt).

And it depends what your training for, if your planning on going into the army or something, and thats why your training, then I dont think working on a 7 day rest period is much good, as youll be physically active most if not all days, so should train likewise for it. If your training to be as strong as you can for one lift, then a longer rest time and working lower reps/higher sets, and not doing as many variations on each exercise is probably better. if your wanting to do 2000 press ups in an hour, then higher reps is going to be more benificial, if your trying to pile on muscle, then possibly cut out the cardio, if your trying to look buff (not that you could get much buffer :$ )then the idea changes again(although theres no definitive answer on looking buff).

I see, I see, Im basically doing it because Im vain as f**k and want to look lovely in my tight tees. I dont exactly want to be massive, just be decent, and defined, but to do so, I need to enlarge all my muscles to abotu twice there current size, and then cut them all back, and tone like f**k.

Im not actually that bothered about strength, obviously I dont want to look like a pussy, first time I went to the gym I ended up dumbell pressing (allegedly its better than bench, because it works both arms the same, and the fact you have to balance them seperatly is also benificial? true?) I was doing 15KG on each arm, at that point I decided I was a f**king pussy, and worked a fair bit, now on 27.5kg on each arm, which makes me feel un-pussied. however despite gaining 12.5kgs in strength, My pecs dont look nearly twice the size they were.... Is it a requirment to bulk, work hard, low reps, then cut with higher reps and cardio to get a decent defined body.

I feel pretty vain/homosexual typing this...

I see, I see, Im basically doing it because Im vain as f**k and want to look lovely in my tight tees. I dont exactly want to be massive, just be decent, and defined, but to do so, I need to enlarge all my muscles to abotu twice there current size, and then cut them all back, and tone like f**k.

Im not actually that bothered about strength, obviously I dont want to look like a pussy, first time I went to the gym I ended up dumbell pressing (allegedly its better than bench, because it works both arms the same, and the fact you have to balance them seperatly is also benificial? true?) I was doing 15KG on each arm, at that point I decided I was a f**king pussy, and worked a fair bit, now on 27.5kg on each arm, which makes me feel un-pussied. however despite gaining 12.5kgs in strength, My pecs dont look nearly twice the size they were.... Is it a requirment to bulk, work hard, low reps, then cut with higher reps and cardio to get a decent defined body.

I feel pretty vain/homosexual typing this...

A lot of people I know (including myself) and the general consensus on the net is to cut first, then bulk afterwards(clean bulk mind, not just pile it on)

Reason being, a skinny guy with 16-16.5 inch biceps, looks way more ripped than a tubby guy with 17-18 inch biceps.

gus pacho here for instance

plus once your skinny every pound of mucle you stick on will be real noticeable, as opposed to now, where youd just look a bit bigger, and feel a bit less squashy.

image003.png

His stomach seems to skinny to me, looks pretty f**king wierd that hes that wide round the lats/pecs/shoulders, then has a properly small ab area.

thats the awsome super cool definition that id like though...

Wait, "clean bulk"? whats that? So, continue with cardio etc. till I look ok, then "clean bulk"?

image003.png

His stomach seems to skinny to me, looks pretty f**king wierd that hes that wide round the lats/pecs/shoulders, then has a properly small ab area.

thats the awsome super cool definition that id like though...

Wait, "clean bulk"? whats that? So, continue with cardio etc. till I look ok, then "clean bulk"?

Clean bulk is the object of adding lean muscle mass, but not fat, so you eat higher than your daily calorie requirements, but by a small amount, and eat healthy, as opposed to the bulk a lot of people do when on roids/on the off season in bodybuildin, where you just concentrate on protein intake and total calorie intake, so youll be eating a fair amount, but its more brown rice and skinless chicken breast, protein shake and fruit ,than KFC and deep fried mars bar.

I ended up dumbell pressing... however despite gaining 12.5kgs in strength, My pecs dont look nearly twice the size they were.

You really need to work your chest in different ways. Pectoral fly's are the thing you'll really be wanting for increasing chest size. This is my current chest routine and it's working out pretty well for me. In fact most of this guys routines have been beneficial for me so i'd probably have a flick through them all. His voice is annoying as hell but the advice is generally sound.

Just spent about a day browsing his site, I had seen his abs work out before, seems like a pretty decent guy who knows his shit.

Only thing is, everyones trying to tell me that doing cardio everyday will hamper muscle growth and I should bulk slightly, not get fat, but just not watch what I eat (which I never really have, and Im not fat) and just do weights as apposed to cardio coupled with a decent diet/protien, and weights.

Any ideas? Cardio seems a good idea, because obviously providing there is muscle growth then the results will seem more noticable and you will look more ripped.

i think cardio is really important. im currently training to get fit for the RAF and upon the entry exam i am required to do a 3mile run in 24minutes. so naturally ive been doing alot of jogging. ive been running 3 miles in just under 24minutes consistantly and ive been doing this for 2 days in a row then giving myself one day rest. also in my program ive been doing press ups/crunches/shrugs/ and bicep/tricep workouts.

ive only recently got fully into this program and im already feeling great! keeping to my current intensity this program should start increasing muscle mass nicely.

as you said about the cardio every day, if your worried it may loose you muscle mass then why not cut down to one 30min run every other day, or a 15min run every day. i dont know what kind of fitness level your at but if you cut your jogging down then after a month or so you should be able to tell if your loosing just fat and not muscle. cutting down to no running would for sure make you put on a little weight.

thats my opinion anyway, i like to think i know what im on about as ive done fitness programs before for gcse p.e but it all depends on your fitness level.

hope i helped :D

I did a fair bit of weights over the winter and for the 6 weeks I was in a cast because of my ankle. since then I have also done a lot of XC (which when riding up steep hills, works the upper body loads!). My goal when I started was to be able to do one armed pull-ups (not the cheating holding the other arm method either!). I am now happy to say that I can do one arm pull-ups with each arm :D , Next goal is to do multiple pull-ups

• 2 weeks later...
cos he wants a sick ass 6 pack that the ladies will love(i assume) although really, hes probably got the abs already under the flab, even the weediest guys have a six pack when they drop body fat low enough.

Somwhere (possibly scoobys whats it called) said that abs should be done each work out?

And yeah, it is 6 pack, although thanks to a f**ked up rib, its abit f**ked up, I have a retarded metabolism, Im pretty skinny, I eat well and do cardio, I have pretty much f**k all fat, over my abs anyway, there just really not that big, even if I stretch the skin over them theres not alot there :(

Are you sure he didn't mean done as a part of your other core exercises? As in when you do heavy weight lifting the abs get worked out each work out?

I've always gone with the abs should be given 5 days to recover because they are used so much daily. Besides, everyone knows a killer six pack is made in the kitchen not the gym.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump. I was doing some wights the other night. mainly bench pressin. Started on a light is weight. donw 20 reps. the made it more, and done 15 reps and so on. Then had 15 test, and done another set.

Thing is now i can't move. and this was Wednesday. what can I do so I can do it more often? Reduce weight, and increase reps?

Also I have a multi Gym 35-3353541A71UC559822X.jpg

like that!

I aint got the thing for you legs out. but how can I use it to get the best out of it? I wana tone up while its shit weather.....