The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Started out about 68kg 5ft 11.5 lean at the start of 2008. Im now 86kg same height and still lean, so about 18kg of lean muscle mass i wouldn't say is bad for1 year 10 months had a month off this summer as well. Good strength train on 42 kg dumbells incline 3x6, shoulder press 30kg dumbells 3 x 8. Aim is to be about 15 stone lean, faster and fitter than i was at this weight. Dahhh bump

Started out about 68kg 5ft 11.5 lean at the start of 2008. Im now 86kg same height and still lean, so about 18kg of lean muscle mass i wouldn't say is bad for1 year 10 months had a month off this summer as well. Good strength train on 42 kg dumbells incline 3x6, shoulder press 30kg dumbells 3 x 8. Aim is to be about 15 stone lean, faster and fitter than i was at this weight. Dahhh bump

God DAMN! that seems like a sick increase, what's your diet like?

I do:

chest/triceps/abs

rest

back/biceps/abs

rest

shoulders/legs/abs

rest

rest.

But then I do cardio and things somtimes on my rest days.

Your ab's are just like any other muscle need time to rest!

I do a 4 day split;

monday: chest/tri's

tuesday: Shoulder/abs

wednesday: rest

thursday: Legs

friday: back/bi's

Works pritty well, seen some decent improvements. I'll post it up sometime, need my ipod for my full workout, haven't got that on me!

Your ab's are just like any other muscle need time to rest!

I do a 4 day split;

monday: chest/tri's

tuesday: Shoulder/abs

wednesday: rest

thursday: Legs

friday: back/bi's

Works pritty well, seen some decent improvements. I'll post it up sometime, need my ipod for my full workout, haven't got that on me!

Nah, I've seen a fair few routines where abs are constantly worked like that. Not read into it but I assume it's fine.

Don't just assume a few situps is abs work though boys. We do abs in every session we take at Dynamo, but the point is to keep them varied so you're using deep abs one day, something else the next etc etc. Replace the word 'abs' with the word 'core' in your schedules and you'll make yourself keep it varied.

Don't just assume a few situps is abs work though boys. We do abs in every session we take at Dynamo, but the point is to keep them varied so you're using deep abs one day, something else the next etc etc. Replace the word 'abs' with the word 'core' in your schedules and you'll make yourself keep it varied.

Don't take us for fools! Labeling situps as "Abs" on a workout is like labeling press ups as "Triceps/chest".

Don't take us for fools! Labeling situps as "Abs" on a workout is like labeling press ups as "Triceps/chest".

You're quite right, but you'd be surprised how much people know about the other muscle groups and then know nothing about core work. I have tried to stay out of this topic as someone who spends 25% of his time training other people - I don't wanna go on a holier than thou trip - so I'll go back to staying clear before anyone thinks I'm calling them a fool instead of trying to help ;)

God DAMN! that seems like a sick increase, what's your diet like?

Diet has been better as ive progressed, gonna try bulk this winter though, im having 3 meals meat in pretty much every one, plus breakfast and other random stuff. Not sure on calorie intake yet i mite have a look at it actually.

tuesday - chest / tri

thurs - back / bi

sat - shoulders / traps

sunday - legs

Hardly ever do abs or cardio though but thats started to change this winter, going to do moderate cardio and up the calories to increase fitness cant wait to see what condition il be in by next summer!!

You're quite right, but you'd be surprised how much people know about the other muscle groups and then know nothing about core work. I have tried to stay out of this topic as someone who spends 25% of his time training other people - I don't wanna go on a holier than thou trip - so I'll go back to staying clear before anyone thinks I'm calling them a fool instead of trying to help ;)

Haha, I wasn't getting offended - just being light hearted. And anyway, I'm sure everyone in this thread would be more than happy for some advice from someone who knows what they're on about.

Can anyone recommend any tried and tested methods of building lower abdominal muscles? ive got a weights bench at home and can do a rep of 30 on the 50 kg bar, however just finding this is effecting my upper abs and pectorals,

Ive heard about lying flat on your back and elevating both legs with your hands under buttocks to a vertical position, then squeeze until it burns etc

Anyone got any tips or experience? cheers

Can anyone recommend any tried and tested methods of building lower abdominal muscles? ive got a weights bench at home and can do a rep of 30 on the 50 kg bar, however just finding this is effecting my upper abs and pectorals,

Ive heard about lying flat on your back and elevating both legs with your hands under buttocks to a vertical position, then squeeze until it burns etc

Anyone got any tips or experience? cheers

When doing any ab stuff just remember to keep everything really slow, should notice a huge difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo, I wanna get in shape....past five months been working for a games company, so long hours in office.

Now just signed up to Gym today (yet no water as city is flooded - so can't swim/shower) But gym open.

Now i weight about 13st 7. Im about 6ft 1 and have a belly.

Need to get rid of weight and tone up.

Hardest thing is long hours at office mean, unless i make food at home, shit food usually.

Hilfe.

Free weights are always the best. You will use a totaly different aray of muscle to lift and control the weight.

Machine weight are okay but will only use the muscle for the purpos of the lift, not the control.

It's not about how big you can lift, so everyone going i can do this and that wow. Can you do 50kg on smith machine 8 times then 3 more sets?

I use to train with the Southwest Weight lifter Champ, huge sod and everything.

I learnt a lot from him and it worked.

8 reps (you lift 8 times)

4 sets (you do the 8, 4 times with a rest betwen)

Train with friends, it'll spur you on and help

Going big aint smart, nor cool nor will get you big

Eat proper, 6 small meals a day and proper food

Muscle only grows due to protien, so get a shake thats got at least 40g of protine

Stay away from the jucie/roids

Beer will hamper muscle groth by 1 week! So limit!

Smoking deplets muscle groth due to killing off vit c!

Use a weight that starts to pull by 4/5th rep, with 6 and 7th being tought and having to puch for the 8th.

If it's to heavy and your not able to lift it then lower it, if you go to the gym 3 times a week and eat right, supliment and sleep right in less than a month you could X2 that weight and do it controled! Everyone had to start and work up.

Never push or clench when lifting, it'll do nothing but make you look like a muppet.

If with a mate help each other, make it a game, a controled game, spot each other, push each other.

Train in stages daily with lots of rest, one day on etc with weekend as rest!

Sleep for at least 8 hours every night, this is when you grow!

Doing the stack (all the weights) is not cool nor smart unless your massive

Knowing what you really want 1st helps

Sounds good....what I want....to lose belly/fat and tone up.

Doing gym with a mate too.

Our work pattern is worst thing. Working Thurs-Sat 10-10 then Sun is 10-6. So mon/tues/wed fully off, and have the opportunity to head to gym before work in a morning and after work on sunday.

First is lose the belly, then work on toning up.

First is lose the belly, then work on toning up.

I though this too but nah. As you get big you'll even out a little and that belly goes. Not only that your going to up your hearbeat and this is CV and will burn fat.

My workout is Anerobic and this is CV and weightlifting in one. It cuts, tones, builds, shapes. It hurts for a bit till you get going.

Take you age, then 220 - your age = xxx thats the heartbeat you need to keep for 30 mins to burn fat.

Also as you lift the weight you will use your abs, do a lat pull down topless. When i do an 80kg straight cable lat pull down wide grip i can see my stomach abs going as i clentch to pull the weight down, even though it's a back workout!

Youtube the sofa abs workout, i did it for a month and it was a good starter. However having a 6 pack aint all it, being toned is and a 6 pack really gentics due to having the muscle there in the 1st place!

Take you age, then 220 - your age = xxx thats the heartbeat you need to keep for 30 mins to burn fat.

You want him to work at (a theoretical) 100% heartrate for 30 minutes? Could that be taken as manslaughter when he has a heart attack?

rocktrials - most of the other stuff he's said is cool, but pay no attention to that. 220-age is a very basic way of estimating your maximum heart rate, i.e. the fastest your heart can theoretically beat. To get a good aerobic workout, i.e. fat burning, you want to aim for 80% or above this figure. So if you're 22 you want to be aiming for above 158 (80% of 198).

So what do you reccomend doing at the gym, what kind of things for how long etc?

Will be swimming as well to help.

Swimming is more harsh than any of it. I'll be honest i can't swim for nothing. I sink, not even able to do a length as im exhuasted!

8 rep done 4 times, so 32 reps total.

Decent weight so it hurst by 5/6th rep but pulling by the 4th.

You want to do bit of you body as you'll burn out otherwise.

Shoulders, chest, tri, bi, tracks will make you look toned and bigger. Each item there has manny different means of working them.

If you got free weights use them, it will make you stronger due to the control needed.

You want him to work at (a theoretical) 100% heartrate for 30 minutes? Could that be taken as manslaughter when he has a heart attack?

rocktrials - most of the other stuff he's said is cool, but pay no attention to that. 220-age is a very basic way of estimating your maximum heart rate, i.e. the fastest your heart can theoretically beat. To get a good aerobic workout, i.e. fat burning, you want to aim for 80% or above this figure. So if you're 22 you want to be aiming for above 158 (80% of 198).

Might want to go and check it out with a proper PT or PTI. My local gym has an ex Royal Marine and he's mentaly fit. He is the one whom gave me the heartbeat and age thing. Try it, not everyone will be able to give that max heart rate for 30mins!

Might want to go and check it out with a proper PT or PTI. My local gym has an ex Royal Marine and he's mentaly fit. He is the one whom gave me the heartbeat and age thing. Try it, not everyone will be able to give that max heart rate for 30mins!

I am one ;)

My local gym is owned by my Dad, he is ex Royal Navy and Parachute Regiment. He's also got an unbeaten boxing career.

Also working there is an ex Royal Marine who is, of course, mentally fit.

www.dynamo-boxing.co.uk if you want to check I'm not bullshitting. I'm in there somewhere but I won't point it out as the pics are from when I first started training lol

For a start, the formula you used is basic at best and should be used only if no other method is available. Once the max heart rate is found, it's not really good form to be giving someone advice to try to hit it for 30 minutes when they say they just joined the gym today. Would you tell someone who was at their first trial to hit up the elite line and just say "Try it, not everyone will be able to do it"? No, because it's stupid. In this case it's also incredibly dangerous.

Your other advice is good though (Y) I wouldn't have picked it up so hard if it was just a shoddy piece of advice which wouldn't cause any harm.

Should I be doing treadmill/ x trainer/rower/bikes? All in one session or just one per session and how long for?

I wouldn't do them all in one session no, if I where you I'd hit the free weights then after you've worked out as much as possible (burning spare calories etc) then hit one type of cardio for as close to 30 minutes as you can. Once you can do that easily then increase free weight intensity and speed/incline on the cardio

EDIT: Anyone know a good work out to back up shrugs with? I'm not keen on them

Edited by MikeCottTrials