The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

If want to get lean/ripped I'd say stick with that and see how it goes. Maybe look at adding some more carbs in, but bring it up slowly.

The one thing I'd change really would be to cut the protein intake down to about 150g. Still 3 times what you need to survive (roughly), so you'll have enough in there to build some muscle as well. You'll just be shitting out the extra 110g.

Sounds like a plan, I'd say add 50-75g of rice into the chicken salad at lunch perhaps.

All depends on the portions though. My pasta meal I'm having tonight has 250g of lean mince, 150g pasta, 200g mushrooms, half a large onion and 250g of pasta sauce per portion. It's a pretty big plateful. :P

If want to get lean/ripped I'd say stick with that and see how it goes. Maybe look at adding some more carbs in, but bring it up slowly.

The one thing I'd change really would be to cut the protein intake down to about 150g. Still 3 times what you need to survive (roughly), so you'll have enough in there to build some muscle as well. You'll just be shitting out the extra 110g.

He wouldn't be wasting anywhere near as much as that. .8 to 1.3 grams of protein per pound of body weight. If you weight 145 pounds (10 stone), your daily protein intake should be anywhere from 116 grams to 189 grams of protein per day. It's well advised to split this up over 6 or so meals per day.

I personally would be looking at 290g of protein per day at the highest end of the scale.

First google result.... http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

Ah, I always followed 2g of protein for every kg of body weight. Admittedly I'm getting way more than that at the moment though, and that's just from my diet.

I weigh 175lbs at the moment, get around 200g of protein a day and split it over 4 meals. (All I can manage really due to work), so heading for the higher end of the scale anyway.

If I was cutting though I'd be aiming for 150g though.

Ah, I always followed 2g of protein for every kg of body weight. Admittedly I'm getting way more than that at the moment though, and that's just from my diet.

I weigh 175lbs at the moment, get around 200g of protein a day and split it over 4 meals. (All I can manage really due to work), so heading for the higher end of the scale anyway.

If I was cutting though I'd be aiming for 150g though.

I personally won't be dropping my calories for a cut when next summer rolls around. I'll be overloading on carbs and calories for 1-2 weeks as well as decreasing time between protein intake. This shunts your metabolism into a faster rate and then after 1-2 weeks you drop nearly all carbs and calories except for an average amount at the beginning of each day while maintaining protein intake at the same level. Your body is then using the same metabolism rate as the week before but without your calorie overload so it burns off fat REAL quick. Takes about a week again for your body to adjust and then fat loss drops to what is normally expected.

Right, I'm back on the case with the weights as of right now. Not touched anything properly for about 7-8 months maybe mainly due to the fact I could no longer afford gym fees and the other gym I went to (building round the back of my dads mates house which was far superior in terms of weight training) was a pain in the arse as when I went I had to knock on to get the key and it was always freezing in there, also I didn't like it when there were other people in other than the owner.

Anyway, I won't be hitting the gym just sticking to what I can do at work for the time being with my dumbbells. Just a pair of york ones with an extra 4x5kg plates so I can go upto 17.5kg max using 2 at a time or 22.5kg with the one, workout is shown below. As far as protein intake goes I'll have to give myself a kick up the arse as it's a right pain digging in the cupboard at home to find it, probably be looking at 3-4 shakes a day of plain unflavoured whey from myprotein. I mix 1 and a bit scoops with 200ml milk and 150ml(ish) of water to thin it out about and it goes down a treat, also be back on the creatine again if I can be bothered capping it up.

Any comments on the workout are welcomed though you have to bare in mind I'm in a smallish signal box and therefore haven't much room and have to be creative when it comes to things like pull ups. Weighed myself on Sunday and I've dropped down to 13 stone (I'm 6'3") so I'll hopefully try and get back upto at least my normal 13½ stone if not nearly 14. Main reason for this is after going out on my bike the other day I felt like I was really lacking upper body strength and that this affected my riding, could all be phsycological but hey ho. I do realise a lot of my recent weight loss is cause I now play football on a Saturday again so I'm getting a lot more hardcore exercise (in my opinion) than I used to though my legs and stamina are stronger due to this.

Sorry for dragging this out so much, hopefully progress shall be made and updated within!

post-24247-0-94629000-1322686062_thumb.j

I dunno what specific "moves" are called, but straight in front raises and out to the side raises, are they included in your shoulder arm movements? Also if you have a chair, you can do the bend over and then straighten your arm along the horizontal of your body with weight in hand that does your tricep.

What f**king awesome descriptions. If you get me, then cool, if not, I'll try harder.

Rightio,

I'm going to make more of an effort in the gym now. I've been going for a year now, mainly doing weights (although i sometimes do a bit of cardio to warm up). It's probably been covered before and i'm sorry if it has but i am after some form of protein shakes. I've not really taken them at great length before. I basically have the intention of bulking up. Can anybody recommend me something suitable? Or something where there is a nice offer on? I like the sound of these cookie dough flavours :)

my protein

can i give you a referal code so i win?

MP492691

i've just started buying from them, they usually have decent offers on their stuff, and it's all got reviews so you can get what your looking for, try one of their bundles (for like £50 and you get a free shaker and a load of reduced pills, i'm on a weight loss one at the moment and i'm noticing things... might all be placebo, but i'm happy with em.

if you join their site and wait a day you will be emailed promotions

Edited by ogre

I have reffered you mr ogre (Y) Will wait to see if i get sent some offers sent to me. I'm not really sure what to go for though, i can't decide between the lean muscle products or the muscle and size products, i'm guessing the latter seeing as i'm a bit of a skinny chap atm.

Cheers for the help.

Dunc just start hammering the protein, the weight gain stuff tastes disgusting no matter what flavour you try and hide it with! Just have to start sinking loads of pasta, tuna and steak! Also with regards to flavour just go for the unflavoured whey, goes down a treat unless your some kind of weirdo and like to sniff the stuff (mule).

f**k you man! I just hate the stuff. I don't sniff it, I hold my breath and down the pint of it, but still end up chucking the f**king stuff up again.

My current diet is giving my 200g+ a day without that powdery bollocks anyway.

• Like 1

Why won't my triceps grow as fast as the rest of me? They're incredibly small and gay. I'm training hard, sleeping well, eating well. The only thing I can think of is that I haven't been very strict with my stretching...

Edited by Muel

Why won't my triceps grow as fast as the rest of me? They're incredibly small and gay. I'm training hard, sleeping well, eating well. The only thing I can think of is that I haven't been very strict with my stretching...

What exercises do you give them?? If your struggling for stuff to do then try a completely different set of lifts, have a looky see here for loads of different moves. It is the online bible of weight training, I personally favour dips over anything to work triceps!

Stretching isn't proven to be beneficial, I was reading that it can actually damage the muscle further causing recovery time to be longer...

You don't want doms to last longer than it has to

What exercises do you give them?? If your struggling for stuff to do then try a completely different set of lifts, have a looky see here for loads of different moves. It is the online bible of weight training, I personally favour dips over anything to work triceps!

Bench, incline bench, dips, skullcrushers. Go on there a lot, tis very helpful. :)

Stretching isn't proven to be beneficial, I was reading that it can actually damage the muscle further causing recovery time to be longer...

You don't want doms to last longer than it has to

I always found that. If I stretched then I was in a lot more pain and it lasted 2-3 days rather than 1-2.

I guess just carry on, see what happens... They are improving, just not as quickly as I'd like.

Edited by Muel

Have a complete change of routine, I'd try some barbell and dumbbell tricep extensions and then with the cables do some bent over extensions and pushdowns both using the rope attachment. Also worth supersetting with biceps, doing standing curls with a straight or ez bar on cables then switching to the bent over extensions or pushdowns was one I used to do. Will have to get back to my dads mates and crack on in there, next time your back in new mills I'll take you for a workout if you want, only a couple of quid in chinley.