The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Bench, incline bench, dips, skullcrushers. Go on there a lot, tis very helpful. :)

I always found that. If I stretched then I was in a lot more pain and it lasted 2-3 days rather than 1-2.

I guess just carry on, see what happens... They are improving, just not as quickly as I'd like.

erm, if your growing, but one parts lagging, swap out the incline bench, for tricep pull downs, time to isolate that bitch. Although if your throwing them 4 exercises in the same session, it could be that your hitting them too hard.

I've just started back on the cardio again,as boys got fat. So far im down from 242 to 237, Reckon at a push i can make 220 by new year, then in march, ill join a gym again and hit the weights hard. in the mean time its just the odd pay as you go gym session, cardio, and a bit of training at home.

Is it possible to work on losing belly fat (watching what you eat + cardio) and work on building lean muscle. If this is possible should I stop taking protein shakes to help lower my calorie intake? Not bothered about bulking up as yet just wanna lose belly fat and build strength and lean muscle

Edited by kaybs41282

Have a complete change of routine, I'd try some barbell and dumbbell tricep extensions and then with the cables do some bent over extensions and pushdowns both using the rope attachment. Also worth supersetting with biceps, doing standing curls with a straight or ez bar on cables then switching to the bent over extensions or pushdowns was one I used to do. Will have to get back to my dads mates and crack on in there, next time your back in new mills I'll take you for a workout if you want, only a couple of quid in chinley.

No cables, I train at home. Can't afford no gym! (Money or time wise). Would love to train with you some time man but I'm never back any more. I'm only planning 3 days for christmas lol.

erm, if your growing, but one parts lagging, swap out the incline bench, for tricep pull downs, time to isolate that bitch. Although if your throwing them 4 exercises in the same session, it could be that your hitting them too hard.

I've just started back on the cardio again,as boys got fat. So far im down from 242 to 237, Reckon at a push i can make 220 by new year, then in march, ill join a gym again and hit the weights hard. in the mean time its just the odd pay as you go gym session, cardio, and a bit of training at home.

Hmmm, I thought 4 was fine, doing about 6 for my biceps and that seems to be working very well indeed...

I like incline bench, works my upper boobies! I'll give it another couple of weeks and then see how I go.

Right, I'm back on the case with the weights as of right now. Not touched anything properly for about 7-8 months maybe mainly due to the fact I could no longer afford gym fees and the other gym I went to (building round the back of my dads mates house which was far superior in terms of weight training) was a pain in the arse as when I went I had to knock on to get the key and it was always freezing in there, also I didn't like it when there were other people in other than the owner.

Anyway, I won't be hitting the gym just sticking to what I can do at work for the time being with my dumbbells. Just a pair of york ones with an extra 4x5kg plates so I can go upto 17.5kg max using 2 at a time or 22.5kg with the one, workout is shown below. As far as protein intake goes I'll have to give myself a kick up the arse as it's a right pain digging in the cupboard at home to find it, probably be looking at 3-4 shakes a day of plain unflavoured whey from myprotein. I mix 1 and a bit scoops with 200ml milk and 150ml(ish) of water to thin it out about and it goes down a treat, also be back on the creatine again if I can be bothered capping it up.

Any comments on the workout are welcomed though you have to bare in mind I'm in a smallish signal box and therefore haven't much room and have to be creative when it comes to things like pull ups. Weighed myself on Sunday and I've dropped down to 13 stone (I'm 6'3") so I'll hopefully try and get back upto at least my normal 13½ stone if not nearly 14. Main reason for this is after going out on my bike the other day I felt like I was really lacking upper body strength and that this affected my riding, could all be phsycological but hey ho. I do realise a lot of my recent weight loss is cause I now play football on a Saturday again so I'm getting a lot more hardcore exercise (in my opinion) than I used to though my legs and stamina are stronger due to this.

Sorry for dragging this out so much, hopefully progress shall be made and updated within!

post-24247-0-94629000-1322686062_thumb.j

Dave,

Workout plan looks fairly intense and may chomp on too much time, I'd aim for 2 sets rather than the 3 also with the weights you have I don't think you'll need protein or creatine unless your food diet is particularly lacking which I doubt. I found that I didn't really get any stronger/ bigger when taking supplements to when I didn't, putting more effort in was the key.

Workout is partly based on what I used to do. You have to bare in mind though it's 3 seperate workouts for 3 seperate days, having upto 17.5 per dumbbell is more than enough for now for doing shoulders and arms and I'm considering going to my dads mates gym again from this week to start on my chest in there as I struggle with push ups cause of my shoulder.

As for my diet I struggle with meals as I work shifts so have to be really careful on nights as more often than not I'll only eat twice a day. Don't mean to offend with this but I used to go to the gym quite a lot a few years ago and played about with a few different supplements and types of protein so I know what I'm doing there, also one of my mates runs one of the warehouses for CNP so I get a bit of info of him. Just need to slowly get back into and not bulk up too much.

Workout is partly based on what I used to do. You have to bare in mind though it's 3 seperate workouts for 3 seperate days, having upto 17.5 per dumbbell is more than enough for now for doing shoulders and arms and I'm considering going to my dads mates gym again from this week to start on my chest in there as I struggle with push ups cause of my shoulder.

As for my diet I struggle with meals as I work shifts so have to be really careful on nights as more often than not I'll only eat twice a day. Don't mean to offend with this but I used to go to the gym quite a lot a few years ago and played about with a few different supplements and types of protein so I know what I'm doing there, also one of my mates runs one of the warehouses for CNP so I get a bit of info of him. Just need to slowly get back into and not bulk up too much.

Ah no offence taken. I wrote that as just before I left work (I work shifts too - we've talked in the past about that). Fine over three days - thought it was going to be a single super seesion. As for suplpements, if they work for you all good - never got anything out of them myself - tried creatine and whey, even gave colustrum (sp?) a go. I know what you mean about nights -I only really eat twice a day on them but I reckon I actually eat more calorie wise though, though my gym frequency is down compared to days as are my kg numbers. Let us know how you get on.

Tim - the ageing regular nationals observer.

Made a return to my dads mates gym today (well right now actually). Hopefully get my strength back to what it was, here's what I've got to work with

IMG_20111208_094546.jpg

IMG_20111208_094640.jpg

IMG_20111208_094700.jpg

Bit better than the proper gym in Chapel, not bad for something in his back garden of a 2 bed semi!

That, is proper.

I've had all of this week off so far due to illness. f**king hate winter, I seem to have a cold for about 80% of it and I always feel too grotty/shitty to train.

Tips on fighting the cold?

Back up to 176lbs so far. Not quite the 190lbs I once was, but I'm stronger in most lifts than I was then, so I'm guessing that's a good thing. :P

That is a lovely little gym right there - especially being as it's clearly not gonna be packed so the proximity issue isn't a... well... issue!

I've also had a week off, due to being a tart about the missus. Back on, so I'm back on from today hopefully (Y) I put on a kilo since I've been trying, which means I'm up to a MASSIVE 67kg. Pow.

Lol, how tall are you JD?

Apparantly I'm 80kg, is that good? I'm 5'10" with (last time I checked on some of those shitty guessomatic scales) 14% bf.

I'm 5'9ish, whatever 176cm is (I appear to be the only person to have tried to embrace the metric system too...) and try to run at sub 10%, although I'm about 11.5 at the moment. I'm aiming to get up to 75kg as my first major 'finish line' while still running at an absolute maximum of 11% - which will no doubt mean going up to about 79 and stripping it off with some knee killing runs.

What's 'good' or not is completely up to you, be happy with how you are (cliche!). I've always been happy being a skinny f**ker who could run far and fast - that period is over now so I'm gonna see whether I'm happy a bit bigger, without getting away from the fact that my lack of body fat has always made me look better (in my opinion) than a person my weight should do.

one of my traps is noticeably bigger than the other :( what individual shoulder movements can i make to work the little one harder? or will using fixed bars to balance the weight eventually solve it? :(

Dumbbell shrugs? One of mine used to a bit stronger than the other, now they're the same.

I'm 5'9ish, whatever 176cm is (I appear to be the only person to have tried to embrace the metric system too...) and try to run at sub 10%, although I'm about 11.5 at the moment. I'm aiming to get up to 75kg as my first major 'finish line' while still running at an absolute maximum of 11% - which will no doubt mean going up to about 79 and stripping it off with some knee killing runs.

What's 'good' or not is completely up to you, be happy with how you are (cliche!). I've always been happy being a skinny f**ker who could run far and fast - that period is over now so I'm gonna see whether I'm happy a bit bigger, without getting away from the fact that my lack of body fat has always made me look better (in my opinion) than a person my weight should do.

Don't think I've ever been, or will ever be sub 10%.

I'm not too fussed about my weight, I just want to be stronger for when the climbing season comes round again.

i thought sub 10% was straight out unhealthy and was something reserved for jockeys/similar help to be light sports, and was acheived for short periods of time... i wanna get to about 12%, havent actually found out my current body fat, but my weights been dropping since i started a new routine and diet in september, have gone from 102kg to 96 with no detriment to my strength, although my rate of gaining strength has noticeable reduced compared to when i was a bit porkier in the summer.

i thought sub 10% was straight out unhealthy and was something reserved for jockeys/similar help to be light sports, and was acheived for short periods of time... i wanna get to about 12%, havent actually found out my current body fat, but my weights been dropping since i started a new routine and diet in september, have gone from 102kg to 96 with no detriment to my strength, although my rate of gaining strength has noticeable reduced compared to when i was a bit porkier in the summer.

You probably heard that from someone at 15% ;)

I went down to 4.5% a few years back to see how it effected me, and I got cold quicker and that was about it.... Literally always been around 8%, it's only the past 6 months I've let it go up. Pretty sure I heard that premiership players will walk about at around 9/10% as a goal for the beginning of a season.

yea, everyones body has a bodyfat level it doesnt like to under, and it fights to get back up, but if you can keep it there for a couple of months itll adjust to it.

I generally hover around 15-20%, can get down to 15% and stay there quite comfortably, but as soon as i drop much below that(i.e about 12% 4 pack just starting to show when stood up normally) for any more than a week or 2, strength drops off, I always seem to get ill. and as a result it soon shoots back up. I used to say it(infact ive said it on here before im sure) if my body goes below about 14 stone, it just dont wanna play ball. although recently with a bit more muscle, its more like 14 stone 10.

A few more days in, and i saw 235 on the scale this morning, thats 7lbs down.

but as ogre says, nothing makes for easier strength gains than throwing loadsa food down your neck and being a bit tubbier than normal.

So i posted my meal plan a page or 2 back but added in some more pasta and rice now and then and have generally been sticking to it for the past 3 weeks.

Anyways think its time to start trying to bulk up a bit more dont seem to have put on any weight at all. While were on the subject im about 6.3 height and only weigh a measly 69kg.

I know i could quite happily sit and stuff my face to gain the extra weight but trying to keep as much fat off as possible but still increase muscle and size.

Any suggestions or is this just a slow process doing it that way the lean way.

Thanks

At my prime I was 18/18 and a half stone. Best way I've lost weight is from a nasty break up and drugs. I'm currently sat at about 16 stone now, the last 2 stone is going to be a b*****d to shift.

Anyway, what I want to know is what's the best/quickest/most effeciant way to increase stamina? Eca stack usually worked but I've stopped all of that and i want to focus on getting as fit as I can.

(before anyone mentions, wanks in cold showers don't work, and nor does whilst you're having a wee, forcing yourself to stop mid flow.)

on a run changing intensity from jog to fast running, and hill sprints seem to be the way to go. but you've trained before you should know that no great theory or workout works unless your committed and push yourself, so just stick at it, time yourself, beat current times, and constantly increase the distance your doing... i'm debating getting a heart rate monitor to see how much i'm pushing myself...

no idea, i try not to read up on training, i'll occasionally hit up youtube to plagiarize some different movements for muscle groups so i don't get to complacent, but being better at cardio will always be a grind of gradual improvement