The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

just went and had my bodyfat percentage measured (7 point caliper), bang on 20%, which is roughly what i expected from comparing myself to body fat pictures on the web. if i lost 2 stone of fat and didnt gain but didnt lose any muscle, id still be obese on the bmi, but like 8.5% body fat, scary stuff.

How does this sound?

3 x 8 bicep curls

3x 8 hammer curls

3 x 8 tricep Curls

And tricep dips not sure on amount?

All once a day or every other day.

this will not work the slightest.

pm me man if your really interested!

So been at the gym probably about 3 months now and put on about 5kg in weight which I am happy with.

I know many of these questions could be answered with a quick google search but would prefer your opinions.

I read a lot about when training arms they are easily over trained any advice on how much different exercises would be adequate enough during a session at the gym for the likes of biceps?.

I usually go for 5 exercises 3 reps of 8 for bi's and usually about 3 exercises reps of 8 for tri's on a chest workout day.

Still a bit of a gym newbie and don't go with any with years of experience to guide us but Im familiar with a lot of the basic exercises.

Also is reps of 8 fine for trying to put on mass rather than Toning or should I lower this to 6.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

3 exercises is fine

reps should go something like

when you can do

you need to add more weight..

if all you do is 8... then first set is nothing more than a warm up if you can still do 8 reps after 2/3 sets

pm me man if your really interested!

If you're so knowledgable, you'll put it all up here - what with it being a forum and all...

Of course, you'd never say that only one way of training was the 'right' way, would you? Because that would be ridiculous. Drop sets have their place in a long term workout programme, but there are benefits to switching it up and keeping your body guessing too.

• Like 1

everyone has a different goal, i cant just post one thing to suite all.

where as if i know exactly what you want, it will only take a few mins!

i've been working alongside and training with bodybuilders and 'strongmen' for years now and have seen first hand what works and what doesn't.

there is no one right way, but there are a set of guidelines to try and fall between.

i could get you hench in no time at all if your willing to put the work in. you could also ask damon watson, he gave me a load of sound advice when i first started training.

I love posts like that. They make me feel warm and happy. Just tell me what to do, but leave out all the information. Spot on. (Y)

I mean, does it matter what kind of body type I am or how long I've been training or what kind of regime I'm aiming for or what I'm eating or anything?

Drop sets don't work for me. They just don't, never have and probably never will. What does work for me is eating an insane calorie count (3750-4000), medium weight but 4x10 sets and having a two day routine, and doing it mon/tue and again thur/fri. I haven't met anyone else who says that all that worked for them, but it works for me! I've gained a stone a month doing that before.

If you want to post advice, then great, post advice. Don't you say "you need to do drop sets because Damon Watson and Jay Cutler told me to do them and they worked for me".

Alright then, Im tall and slim, im not skinny but not big. I'm wanting to add defined bulk, I dont want arms the size of my head but wouldnt mind shaping up a bit, but then I also want to improve my cardio a fair bit. I can hit the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week. Give me suggestions.

P.s I genuinely am interested in what you/anyone suggests.

Edited by Rich J

First thing as always, sort your diet out. Then I'd recommend starting easy with regular cardio sessions and some bodyweight excercises. Depends how fit/healthy you are now. If you've spent the last 3 years sitting down your joints will probably end up rather painful if you start chasing maximum bench press weights straight away.

My diet has been, is, and most likely will always be god awful, and I know that wont help in the slightest. (I dont mean I eat crisps all day but its just limited). I am pretty active so exercise doesn't bother me as such. Thing is I dont really have a set regime, thats what I'm after, at the moment I just go and do what takes my fancy on that day, I'm sure I could work it out myself but advice would be nice.

I love posts like that. They make me feel warm and happy. Just tell me what to do, but leave out all the information. Spot on. (Y)

I mean, does it matter what kind of body type I am or how long I've been training or what kind of regime I'm aiming for or what I'm eating or anything?

Drop sets don't work for me. They just don't, never have and probably never will. What does work for me is eating an insane calorie count (3750-4000), medium weight but 4x10 sets and having a two day routine, and doing it mon/tue and again thur/fri. I haven't met anyone else who says that all that worked for them, but it works for me! I've gained a stone a month doing that before.

If you want to post advice, then great, post advice. Don't you say "you need to do drop sets because Damon Watson and Jay Cutler told me to do them and they worked for me".

yea your totally, that was just meant as an alternative to 8 8 8....

yea different things work for different people.

Alright then, Im tall and slim, im not skinny but not big. I'm wanting to add defined bulk, I dont want arms the size of my head but wouldnt mind shaping up a bit, but then I also want to improve my cardio a fair bit. I can hit the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week. Give me suggestions.

P.s I genuinely am interested in what you/anyone suggests.

defined bulk where? just upper body? anything more specific? just for looks, or strength?

First thing as always, sort your diet out. Then I'd recommend starting easy with regular cardio sessions and some bodyweight excercises. Depends how fit/healthy you are now. If you've spent the last 3 years sitting down your joints will probably end up rather painful if you start chasing maximum bench press weights straight away.

yea if your joints aren't used to heavy weight, you can easy damage them or irritate the cartilage. i did this to my knees a few years ago... lesson learnt!

My diet has been, is, and most likely will always be god awful, and I know that wont help in the slightest. (I dont mean I eat crisps all day but its just limited). I am pretty active so exercise doesn't bother me as such. Thing is I dont really have a set regime, thats what I'm after, at the moment I just go and do what takes my fancy on that day, I'm sure I could work it out myself but advice would be nice.

you are what you eat, if you have a good workout but don't eat the food your body needs then you've pretty much wasted your time and money spent on a gym membership.

tell us exactly what you want to build up and look like. what do you want to achieve?

Okay then, I'm 6ft 5 pretty skinny 11stone so lank as fook,

Looking to get bigger arms,chest,and back. My legs are pretty decent and always have been. I'm like pure muscle and hardly any fat on me you can see this when lifting my muscles literally jump out! I've got dumbells at home and free reign of a gym with pretty much everything. So far been going other other day, so excercise then a recovery day, and yes I do ache. So what you recommend?

defined bulk where? just upper body? anything more specific? just for looks, or strength?

you are what you eat, if you have a good workout but don't eat the food your body needs then you've pretty much wasted your time and money spent on a gym membership.

tell us exactly what you want to build up and look like. what do you want to achieve?

Strength, Im not bothered about looks, and all over just want to improve my general abilities.

Edited by Rich J

Anyone that wants to put on size and strength will need to follow a regime like this:

Monday - Back and biceps

Tuesday - Chest and triceps

Wednesday Legs and abs

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Shoulders

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Rest

The reason we do it like that is because all those muscle groups interlink i.e. you can't work chest without triceps and vice versa.

Don't f**k about doing anything other than compound moves for your first few months. You need to build basic strength before you need to do anything like chest flies or bicep curls.

NEVER workout one muscle group more than once a week, it won't help you. The muscle will be fatigued, you won't hit it hard enough and it won't grow.

COMPOUND MOVEMENTS:

Bench press or dumbbell press,

Squat,

Military press,

Deadlift,

Barbell row.

The nutrition side is equally as important as the gym side. You will spend your life trying to learn about it.

• Like 4

Also any 1 take jack3d as a pre workout drink if so how do you feel about 2. Hours after taking it ?

Ive tried it, 2 hours afterwards? just abit shakey from the energy comedown, but loads of milk seems to help me :)

alot of people arguing on here regarding rep range, the simple fact of the matter is rep range to an extent working or not for mass depends on the person, for instance my friend build super fast using the big weight 6 reps way, al that does to me is make me strong.

for me the best simplest most constant way of describing my training would be.

monday. shoulders/tris

tues. back/bis

wednesday. abs/lowerback/legs

thursday. rest

friday. chest/ staggered triceps

sat.rest.

sunday deadlifts

the most important things id say though is

FORM

WEIGHT, not too light so you cant perform 6 but not so light you can do above 12

upping the weight every set

and finally before leaving the gym a burnout on whatever exercise your doing, lightweight, reps too fail

PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN

Okay then, I'm 6ft 5 pretty skinny 11stone so lank as fook,

Looking to get bigger arms,chest,and back. My legs are pretty decent and always have been. I'm like pure muscle and hardly any fat on me you can see this when lifting my muscles literally jump out! I've got dumbells at home and free reign of a gym with pretty much everything. So far been going other other day, so excercise then a recovery day, and yes I do ache. So what you recommend?

Deadlifts, squats and wide grip pull ups. Get good at pushups on your recovery days by starting your day with however many you can do and gradually pushing 5 more per week.

for instance my friend build super fast using the big weight 6 reps way, al that does to me is make me strong.

So your friend got built in size fast or ended up building faster response muscles? Around 6 reps is generally stimulant of muscle fibers that can, to some degree, change in characteristic regarding speed or strength.

Ive tried it, 2 hours afterwards? just abit shakey from the energy comedown, but loads of milk seems to help me :)

alot of people arguing on here regarding rep range, the simple fact of the matter is rep range to an extent working or not for mass depends on the person, for instance my friend build super fast using the big weight 6 reps way, al that does to me is make me strong.

for me the best simplest most constant way of describing my training would be.

monday. shoulders/tris

tues. back/bis

wednesday. abs/lowerback/legs

thursday. rest

friday. chest/ staggered triceps

sat.rest.

sunday deadlifts

the most important things id say though is

FORM

WEIGHT, not too light so you cant perform 6 but not so light you can do above 12

upping the weight every set

and finally before leaving the gym a burnout on whatever exercise your doing, lightweight, reps too fail

PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN

After a good workout using jack3d when I get home it's like my body crashes and I feel sick and really shakey.

Just wanted to see how others felt on it.

Thanks anyways.

Anyone that wants to put on size and strength will need to follow a regime like this:

Monday - Back and biceps

Tuesday - Chest and triceps

Wednesday Legs and abs

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Shoulders

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Rest

The reason we do it like that is because all those muscle groups interlink i.e. you can't work chest without triceps and vice versa.

Don't f**k about doing anything other than compound moves for your first few months. You need to build basic strength before you need to do anything like chest flies or bicep curls.

NEVER workout one muscle group more than once a week, it won't help you. The muscle will be fatigued, you won't hit it hard enough and it won't grow.

COMPOUND MOVEMENTS:

Bench press or dumbbell press,

Squat,

Military press,

Deadlift,

Barbell row.

The nutrition side is equally as important as the gym side. You will spend your life trying to learn about it.

but when your first starting out, total body workouts 3 times a week arent to be sniffed at either. especially if your young and recover fast.

hence the reason stuff like rippetoe and milk and squats work so well. totally agree on the compound thing though.

What's the best and most accurate way of getting body fat measured?

I got mines taken at the gym the other day with height and age and weight then had to get things stuck to my hands and feet with some computer thing and it measured it and came back at 12.8% which I was more than happy with.

What's the best and most accurate way of getting body fat measured?

I got mines taken at the gym the other day with height and age and weight then had to get things stuck to my hands and feet with some computer thing and it measured it and came back at 12.8% which I was more than happy with.

most accurate way is underwater weighing,but i dont know anywhere that does it, part from places like medical facilities at universities etc, 7 point skinfold measurements are accurate, but only as accurate as the person doing them.

trouble with conducitivity based machines(like you used) sweaty hands/dehydration can skew the readings a good 5/6%

Diet day 2! Haha got on the scales and I was like 14 stone! Haha But I carry it well. Want to get down to 12.5 (good target?) ?!?! I'm 6 foot but pretty wide across the chest.

Doing the no food after 6 diet.

No bad foods, try and stay away from fatty food. Eating quorn mince, veg spag bols and stuff.

Only taking protein after a workout.

2 gym cardio sessions a week and a football match.

Sound good?

How much weights should I do? I know its going to sound vain but under the fat I'm probably as big as I want to be (like in my shoulder backs and arms.) Abs are just a case of body fat so how nesicary is it really?

I'm 6'3, about 13 stone, and I'm not big. But if I lost my excess fat I'd be about 12.5 I reckon. So I'd say you'll be aiming between 12.5 and 13. I do 3 sets of 10, at a weight that I could probably do another set of 10 on but that I'm not dying after doing my 3 sets, if that makes sense.

Just my bit of advice, seeing as I'm trying to achieve something similar to you.

Yea man, I mean I've had the same girl for like 2 years now, so not like I'm trying to get hench and impress people I've just got way too slack with her and let my standards slip. And want to get into a good standard football team after leaving uni so fitness is important, I'm fit but fat atm, so I imagine losing that excess will make it easier.

Lol, pretty much exactly the same as me then, was in great shape, got with my bird, slow decline to the stagnant mess I am now. I go the gym 3 times a week doing about 40 mins cardio and 40 mins weights. Really want to start doing more cardio than what I am now, but I don't have the stamina yet, trying to build with interval training but it's killing my feeble body.

Diet day 2! Haha got on the scales and I was like 14 stone! Haha But I carry it well. Want to get down to 12.5 (good target?) ?!?! I'm 6 foot but pretty wide across the chest.

Doing the no food after 6 diet.

No bad foods, try and stay away from fatty food. Eating quorn mince, veg spag bols and stuff.

Only taking protein after a workout.

2 gym cardio sessions a week and a football match.

Sound good?

How much weights should I do? I know its going to sound vain but under the fat I'm probably as big as I want to be (like in my shoulder backs and arms.) Abs are just a case of body fat so how nesicary is it really?

may as well get as big as you can because no matter what you think when you lose the fat, youll lose some muscle. think i stuck it up here before, but after getting body fat measured about 10 days ago im now 6 lbs lighter. feel a little leaner, but crucially the figures came out that if i dropped 2 stone of fat, id still be obese on bmi, but have like 8-8.5% body fat. given that was 12% of body fat for 28lbs, im not 3% down on body fat so ive lost some muscle.

not to mention if your on a calorie deficit your not really going to be gaining any muscle, only strength and also its burning calories, so no real reason to restrict yourself at all to a certain number of sets/reps. Last night joe fassied out the gym so i went for a cardio session, but got bored so ended up hitting weights. did 3 sets of 10 on compound exercises for the major muscle groups. (so squat,incline dumbell press, lat pull downs, leg press, bench press, seated rows) then just added another tricep extensions and bicep curls on the end. doing that 3 times a week, as a full body workoutyour never going to get huge, but its going to improve strength.It isnt going to hit anything too hard to impede cardio(the day after a dedicated legs day, you aint getting me on no treadmill).

Currently sat at 6 foot 3, 17 stone 8(down from a super fat 18 stone 5). At this build, thin would be 16 stone 10 or below I reckon.

Yea I think 2 10k runs, a 90min football match and whatever 6 a side pick up games I can pick up a week will be enough a week?

Yes Kevin :) hello! haha

Yea I think I'll lose all the weight first and then spend the time afterwards trying to get my bulk back up. I'm more concerned about losing the weight than bulking up, I'm wide.

I would post a pic to show but thats tres gay?