The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Yea Kev your body shape looks fairly similar to mine just because your a lot bigger you look like a beast in real life!

Right I know my diets not ideal but over the last 2 days Ive had.

Weatabix and a banna brunch

Veggie spag bol (all natural ingredients) and limited brown pasta.

And today I had

An apple and orange

a 3 egg white and skimmed milk omlette with a peice of brown bread

and homemade meatballs with a tomato sauce and limited pasta

Sound along the right lines for a calorie deficit diet?

Edited by Simpson

That picture does me justice, but in real life I don't look as good, my arms look skinnier to that, and from side on I'm wider than front on lol. I guess everyone doesn't like the way they look though. And my body doesn't represent what I can do, like you said you can run 10k, I can run about 3k before I'm on the verge of death. I'm glad a picture has clarified my existence :P

That sounds like a recipe for quite a lot of size, and I'm not really looking for that. Plus my student budget doesn't really allow for working a good diet :P

dont sweat it, unless you eat loads your not going to put on much muscle mass. most of it will be burnt for energy/repair of muscle cells. also, you should be able to see what your bodies doing on a week by week/month by month basis. even with noob gains, your going to be struggling to put on more than 2lb of muscle in a month. so even if you do end up sticking that kind of size on, its not going to be the end of the world.

Rocking the zero definition look here. Feeling incredibly gay about this as well lol.

Mate, don't feel gay about it at all. You guys are the only ones man enough to put pics in here so far from what i can see. Pretty decent apollos belt going on there too ;)

I may put a pic in here at some point, but as my diet is only just improving and my regime is non-consistant at best i think the only thing useful is my height, even that is a double edged sword. I always look low bodyfat even when eating utter shit but never look big in muscle volume.

Well the scale say I lost 4lb this week but the scales are highly debatable! haha Asda value scales are not the one.

Having my 1 week diet cravings 8 Tuborg's down so far ahhhhhhhhhh oh well its been a hard week! Haha

Okay, so I've finally decided to put some work in on my diet as well as the gym. Today being the first day, the protein shake was like drinking chalk, but whatever, it's cheaper than eggs and tuna :P

Kris, from what I remember (Although it was a few years ago) you were a monster, you can be like what the rest of us can aspire to be :P Your photo will be like the after ones of all our befores :P

Just seen this thead, Awesome..

Been at the gym for just over a month, was previously doing cardio work (rowing machine's, treadmills, street running and also cross trainers) this was when i was traing for the RAF infantry, but a change in circumstances im laying off that for the time being and foccusing on weight's.

Personally i try to get down the gym four/five times a week for an 60/90 minutes, i train with a partner, any one else noticed there improvement when training with a partner? its like a little competition?

im lucky enough to have the perfect body type, im not fat im not skinny, a motnh ago i was 11.5 stone and about 5ft 9"/10".. i train my arms twice a week, chest shoulders and what ever i feel like on the friday so usually chest again, rarely doing my legs! i also have a quick ab session before i go foccusing a minute on "bridge" and also doing 50/60 situps then resting then doing another 50/60 situps...

i eat what i want at the moment although i drink a vanilla protein shake (Met RX mass gainer with milk although thats 300ml of milk and 1 heaped spoon of protein, less protein powder then i should it still more then i would normally get in my diet) Ive noticed huge differences in my arms already and my chest.

Gonna keep an eye on this thread/forum now to see if i can pick anymore tips up, any one give me advice on what else i can do to improve?

Nick Pyke.

I agree with the partner thing, I don't go to the gym with anyone, sometimes my bird but she can't really compete lol, so I'll go on a bike/rower/treadmill next to someone who looks like they're better than me and try to keep up.

The only advice I can give is do your legs, don't neglect them. Not only will you end up looking like 2 people stuck together, it'll limit your training as you get bigger. I know a lot of people say stick to a rota of when you do each body part, but I've heard people saying that mixing it up can work, not so you're doing back to back work outs on one body part, but just so it's not always Arms, Chest, Back, Legs, repeat.

I have cardio questions for you :P How well does cardio transfer from machine to machine? Eg, you can do 30 mins on a bike, how well would that transfer to running? Because I've been doing a lot of bike work, but not much on treadmills, but I want to get into running a little more, including street, but thinking more of doing cross country type running. And I have never been a distance runner, amazing sprinter, shit at anything over 400m, so if anyone wants to shine some light on it, feel free to :P

Okay, so I've finally decided to put some work in on my diet as well as the gym. Today being the first day, the protein shake was like drinking chalk, but whatever, it's cheaper than eggs and tuna :P

Kris, from what I remember (Although it was a few years ago) you were a monster, you can be like what the rest of us can aspire to be :P Your photo will be like the after ones of all our befores :P

Try the PHD pharmawhey one in mint chocolate. I actually like them just for the taste! I think mr roland likes the cookie flavour if i remember rightly.

Well i've been working on my stomach in the past couple of weeks. Found a really effective abs workout that kills them in less than 15 reps and it's showing good results already, especially in the upper abs!

October:

meoct11.jpg

Couple of weeks ago:

me2feb12.jpg

For point of reference i'm 6'5".

a pound of fat is around 35000 calories.

A lb of fat is only 3,500 calories

Strictly speaking, is Ozzy right here? As far as I'm aware the accepted use of 'calorie' is actually the truncation of 'kcal' meaning that one 'calorie' actually is one thousand calories. If you get me...

Edit: Actually, that would mean you're both wrong and a pound of fat would be 3,500,000 calories. Meh.

Kris, what's your ab destroyer technique? There's a lot of progress there for a short amount of time, especially if you've only been working on it properly for a few weeks :P I've got 5kg of this shit (Nutrisport 90+ in strawberry, yum yum....), it goes down easy enough, it's just powdery, I'll try it with more water next time.

I'm 6'3, so I can carry off excess weight pretty comfortably, just don't want to anymore, I'm 24, I should be in peak physical shape in my mind. My dad looked like Stallone in Rambo when he was in his early 20s and he always gives me shit about it. I'm doubting I'll ever look as good as he did, but I want to be able to at least tell him to get f**ked.

I currently do my sprints on a bike or rower. Hardest resistance, fast as I can. Not fun, but seems to be working.

It's interesting you say this because, in theory at least, a lower resistance for longer should help you shed the weight more easily. This is on the basis that fat will be the primary source of energy. We move from fat to muscle glycogen to ATP on the basis of the speed at which the respective energy sources can be utilized relative to the type of activity we are doing. Fat is a much more efficient form of energy - less wastage per unit, so to speak - but can't be, for the most part, used quickly enough to keep up with, for instance, sprints or weight lifting. In other words it's great for slow activity but poor for intense. ATP is the most ideal source for sprints or weight lifting (anaerobic) given its high and fast energy demands but it's very inefficient and wastes much more energy per 'unit'. Essentially a slow run for longer should strip the fat from your body more than an activity that will use muscle glycogen or ATP. Of course if you need to replenish your muscle glycogen then whatever carbohydrate you consume is more likely to be converted to gloycogen than fat. Supposedly though the long distance stuff should make you thinnest. The only trouble with slow and long exercise is that it's more likely to eat into your muscles. Apparently long distance running also promotes a hormone of some sort that inhibits muscle growth potential relating to weight training. Not entirely though.

I'm in no way saying you are wrong because theory is one thing and the particular individual is another but I guess it's something to consider :)

My point about including carbohydrate with your protein after training is simply to emphasise recovery. In hindsight this may not be all that important to you but if you do end up feeling tired the next day then I would definitely introduce carbohydrate into your diet around and as close to training as is possible. You can do wonderful things with your body if you get your nutrition correct. If you do nutrition correctly you shouldn't ever end up feeling that tired unless you train too much in excess of your present capability.

Also, people don't always know this but your ability to assimilate protein and carbohydrate into the body is dependent on the functioning of, for instance, enzymes. Enzymes require cofactors and other similar molecules to function, the names of which I forget. Cofactors et al are constituted by vitamins and minerals that are found in fruit and vegetables. Thus it's essential to have these alongside your consumption or protein and carbohydrate if you want to actually fully use them to recover and develop.

Anyway, I recommend High5 Protein or 4:1(this one tastes awesome), Science in Sport or Maximuscle Recovermax (despite the fact you are partly paying for an advertising campaign this is, none the less, pretty decent but tastes terrible).

Hopefully this is actually pertinent to you :)

• Like 1