The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

have you guys changed your diet much? Just if been going to the gym 3 times a week. My routine is

Monday - Chest and arms

Wednesday - Legs going to slip abs in there

Friday - Back going to try and get some else in there too

I do cardio on the "days off"

I've noticed a different in my chest and arms. they have lost that fatty layer too! I havent changed my diet much. I normally eat a lot of chicken normally, but have the odd bacon butty every now and then. but its not great.

I would get a pic but my beer guts MASSIVE!! and you'll be laffin!!

I don't get how anyone does any session without abs. I know I'm not massive, but any people I've trained have always had abs in between every set. Active rest style, just means you can get 400+ ab reps into every session and avoid that beer gut.

The only thing I could pride myself on body wise is my core, and I reckon thats why - that and the monthly session of a thousand abs. 20 sets of 50 for the win!

I don't know why we don't i said to the guy I go the gym with. he was like "oh shit ye" I shall start Monday! Might get a median ball and a bench thinggy do it after the gym.

Stick a mat next to the bench, sorted for between sets :)

Cant say I do abs personally but I really must start does seem stupid that I havent!

It's your core, it's core to everything about you ;)

Just to make sure I practise what I preach, I just did 50 abs between every set of a 4 exercise, 5 set workout. 1000 abs, mmmmmmmmm. I definitely regret it though, damn you TF!

1000?! f**kkk i do around a 100 sit ups with a 6kg weight held above my head if that counts towards anything?! haha

I don't wanna go on about this too much because I'm clearly clogging up the thread, but for me it's all about the variety of core work. Each of those sets of 50 was a different an exercise, and goes some way towards building the strong core which allows you to maintain good form in other moves.

My personal habit of them all stems from my running days. Obviously it's only putting one foot in front of the other, but a properly dialled core really helped with both speed and endurance.

You say abs as a generalisation when It should be core, working just abs will f**k posture, give you a bad back etc etc.

I don't know why you said it'll avoid a beer gut either as working your stomach wont reduce fat there, fat is reduced equaly from around the body and not just in one spot because you worked a muscle there.

I don't get how anyone does any session without abs. I know I'm not massive, but any people I've trained have always had abs in between every set. Active rest style, just means you can get 400+ ab reps into every session and avoid that beer gut.

The only thing I could pride myself on body wise is my core, and I reckon thats why - that and the monthly session of a thousand abs. 20 sets of 50 for the win!

Saying this is just as ignorant as saying you should do arm curls in between every set, every time you go to the gym.

You will get nowhere doing it. Every muscle group needs to be hit, then rested, there's no way round this.

Also simply doing abs workouts won't do anything to a beer gut. You can't reduce fat at a specific location, every time I hear someone say this it pains me ever so much.

Keep at it

Saying this is just as ignorant as saying you should do arm curls in between every set, every time you go to the gym.

You will get nowhere doing it. Every muscle group needs to be hit, then rested, there's no way round this.

Also simply doing abs workouts won't do anything to a beer gut. You can't reduce fat at a specific location, every time I hear someone say this it pains me ever so much.

Keep at it

Thing is with the abs, just as with the calves and to some extent, your forearms, it's a muscle group that is always in use, and for most people can be trained more intensely than other major muscle groups because the abs and calves recover quite quickly.

One example of this is when you see a split routine with several ab sessions in it; because they can be hit hard.

I've noticed that for a while, on my legs day I would do a set of calve raises to failure, but after a rest then another set I could so just as many to failure, and it would go on and on like that. I was using enough weight because I always failed at around 10, but normally when going to failure on any other muscle group I'd go 10, 6, 4 or similar, whereas calves would go 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8. If that makes sense?

Do they just recover particularly fast or are my calves Chuck Norris?

Was wandering does anyone know where to get a cheap squat rack? Will keep checking ebay and gumtree ect but no ones willing to post so if I can get a new one online cheap enough that'd be great.

Also we bit of topic with weight lifting but looking to spice up the cardio a bit, doing some cycling and interval runnings but wanting to add some other things that can be done in the house and aren't your regular cardio workouts. Things in mind are stuff like M100s and aerobic exercises that uses weights but still burns the calories, are kettle bells good here? DOes stuff like this work, its stuff like this I'd like to do, aerobic, without losing muscle and can be done in the house.Any suggestions welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

I know how good squats are for you but I don't have access to a squat rack, so I will only be able to squat what I can shoulder press since I'm going to have to lift it over my head... Will squatting with loads of reps and less weight still have the same effect on your core? Also do jumping squats still work your core? There's no weight to hold steady ect so seems logical that it only works legs

So it's about 6 weeks on from the time we were all posting 'before' pics of ourselves, I figured I'd bring it back to life. I haven't looked at the before shot, and won't till I press send, but when I was training a moment ago I felt like I'd made progress...

Before:

post-497-0-99541600-1335988567_thumb.jpg

Now:

post-497-0-64184700-1335988590_thumb.jpg

EDIT: So, they've come out sideways, which is odd. What's also odd is it actually looks like I was better off before. D'oh!

How's everyone else doing?

Edited by JD™

I've completely sacked it off, would rather use my spare time riding than gym at the moment and I'm also extremely poor so spending money going is off the cards.

I move jobs to a bigger signalbox next week though so I'll hopefully have more urge in me to do stuff at work, just need a good kick up the arse. Might try and grab a pic in the next few days if I hit the gym up.

goooo google.... any suggestions for a decent weight loss scheme i'm doing 500 calories of cardio a day according to the ,achines, a 5k run and a 5 minute high intensity run to warm me up at the start of a work out, my diet is pretty protein rich but i'm a big fan of sweets =( and i'm working on cutting down on them, will uber cardio affect my strength