The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Best thing I ever found for flab burning was to go for a 15min run first thing in the morning before breakfast. Gets your metabolism going from first light so you're naturally burning more food, I think. Might have invented that but meh, I was hungry all day whilst on a bulk so I guess it was working.

Sam speaks truth, kickstarting your metabolism in the morning is the way forwards. Don't ever worry about how many calories a machine is telling you your burning - it'll be wrong unless it asks you all sorts about your body beforehand. Obviously a good indicator that you're doing more or less than usual, but that's all it is - don't plan your diet around it :)

Well, should point out that I'm currently a fat f**k and have done nothing but help my girlfriend move in with me for the past month, so as a result now weigh over 190lbs. Need to sort myself out! Don't take diet advice from a fatty.

Edited by Muel

Before trying to build some muscle going to try lower body fat without Losing muscle. So basically when lowering body fat could you just use the same weight routine as bulking just add in cardio and eat less calories? Also how much protein should you consume while cutting? And what would yous say is a fairly lean body fat percentage? Something that's achievable...

In my 'about to be shot down' opinion, and this is going on the fact I've never bulked I just trained those who did - run before breakfast. Keep everything else the same. They'll be the hardest runs you ever do, but that's because your body has no sugars and carbs from food to use for fuel so it uses your fat.

That, or just keep everything else the same and, rather than just cutting calories, be real into the fat contents of the calories you consume.

As a side note, these 2 things combined have been helping me to slowly build muscle while maintaining sub 10% body fat now that I'm focussing more on getting bigger rather than being a fit fast fing.

Was wandering what you guys do for ab workouts? Never do abs just been doing full body workouts(without specifically targeting abs) and cardio to try and lower body fat percentage before I start to train abs and get that 6 pack! Got body fat low enough just now to see a little definition but not low enough yet but decided I shall train abs now. So what do yous do to work them? Any links to routines or just an insight, is Ab ripper X from P90X decent?

• 4 weeks later...

Any Gaspari nutrion users tryed Myofusion probiotic? Currently using it now..

I have been eating a lot of probiotic yoghurts etc recently and thought id try the protein ideally to settle and be good for my stomach. Yet i still manage to produce excessive amounts of farts it is unreal! :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I'm new to the forum and have just signed up today and I have started to do weights.

Now people have different views on this than others so I need the best possible answers, maybe a poll would be better but I want to get some views on this first.

The topic is do I need to use protein powder to mix in my drinks or do people just use it as something to get really big bodies?

I mean do I really need to be taking that protein powder stuff? because I'm only 18 years old and I don't want to get a stupid over the top body so do I really need to be taking it?

The thing is that can I just get that bit bigger by just doing workouts and not taking the substances?

The workout I have been doing is below.

Back - One arm dumbbell rows - 10 reps.

Chest - Clapping push ups - 10 reps.

Shoulders - Standing dumbbell press - 10 reps.

Biceps - Dumbbell curls (alternating) - 10 reps each.

Triceps - Triceps extension - 20 reps.

Traps - Shrugs - 20 reps.

That is 1 round above, I do the rounds 4 times.

Would be an honour if someone could answer all of my questions and please give your views and opinions on this topic.

• 3 months later...

My proper bulking is starting this half term, Gonna try and fit in two of these shakes a day http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/real.html and a f**k load of chicken, pasta, tuna and bananas! Currently 6ft 5 and 74kg/165lbs so massively thin even though Ive been going gym for a while. Would like to get to 14 stone at least how ever long it takes!

14 stone 4lbs should be the target, as that's 200lbs. :P

I'm not weight training at all any more. Just bodyweight/climbing training (not often enough) and dieiting. Down to about 185lbs now, still too heavy to be any good at climbing really.

I've tried creatine a few times. It's a load of bollocks, makes zero difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is putting effort into training and eating

EDIT: pre work out is also worthless. If you can't find the energy to workout without

shit loads of caffeine and sugar running through you...you need to seriously reassess

your diet.

Edited by MikeCottTrials

Nothing wrong with decent pre-works especially a long day at work. My diet is pretty good but there are times I need that spark. But I'm happy with the result on my training & nutrition especially against people on steds.

pre work out is also worthless. If you can't find the energy to workout without

shit loads of caffeine and sugar running through you...you need to seriously reassess

your diet.

Trudat. There's so much shit in them, might as well just drink Red Bull.

I used to go for 1 mug of fairly strong coffee before a workout, easily enough caffeine to get an energy rush.

Anyone ever read up about using low levels of caffeine for fat loss? The theory is that if you have a small amount at regular times throughout the day (4-5 mugs of coffee for example), it keeps your metabolic rate up, so you're burning more calories just by sitting down. Seems to have worked for me over the last year or so, with a relatively healthy diet, I'm slowly losing fat but but getting any side effects (tiredness, hunger, mood-swings etc).