The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

I'm not being funny but do you really need it? I've never used any specific energy or recovery drinks, I think its a waste of money. If you have a good diet you shouldn't need to, have a banana or two. Just seems you're spending alot on a small problem :)

I have a bad diet.

Why are people so against protein shakes??? Everyone tells me to use them and suddenly everyone tells me not to??

Edited by JMCD

I never really used them. You only need "enough" protein, and you can get 200g a day fairly easily if you eat a rigid, controlled diet.

They're great for supplementing a decent diet, but they're not a replacement for one.

I meant protein shakes haha, I'm currently scouring http://www.myprotein.com/uk/ trying to figure out what to buy. There's so much stuff! :/

I was thinking of having a shake/drink to have during the exercise though.

You won't need a shake for during, only after mate. During is a waste of time, better to drink water or squash (yes I highly recommend squash, all the time, EVERYTIME ;))

Reflex make some good shakes, as do PhD but they are both expensive. Just look for one with low calories, high protein (around 60-80g per serving) and low fat. Pure whey should have all that you need. Unless of course you eat a crap diet in which case you may want to add some of the extra calories and make sure you get your 5 a day ;)

You won't need a shake for during, only after mate. During is a waste of time, better to drink water or squash (yes I highly recommend squash, all the time, EVERYTIME ;))

Reflex make some good shakes, as do PhD but they are both expensive. Just look for one with low calories, high protein (around 60-80g per serving) and low fat. Pure whey should have all that you need. Unless of course you eat a crap diet in which case you may want to add some of the extra calories and make sure you get your 5 a day ;)

Aha okay, I'll stick to water then. :P And find a shake for after.

I have a bad diet I think, 3 spoons of sugar in my tea, butter and marmite toast (brown bread, people say I have too much butter though, can't help it), weetabix, with a spoon of sugar on top. Lunch is usually a sandwich and a drink from a shop if I'm in town, if I'm at home I'll probably forget lunch, or have pizza or toast if I can't find any pizza/crap microwavable meals. Dinner is mainly pasta with meatballs, shepards pie, spaghetti bog, home made curry or pizza.

Breakfast is usually had around 9am-12, lunch around 2, dinner around 6.

Aha okay, I'll stick to water then. :P And find a shake for after.

I have a bad diet I think, 3 spoons of sugar in my tea, butter and marmite toast (brown bread, people say I have too much butter though, can't help it), weetabix, with a spoon of sugar on top. Lunch is usually a sandwich and a drink from a shop if I'm in town, if I'm at home I'll probably forget lunch, or have pizza or toast if I can't find any pizza/crap microwavable meals. Dinner is mainly pasta with meatballs, shepards pie, spaghetti bog, home made curry or pizza.

Breakfast is usually had around 9am-12, lunch around 2, dinner around 6.

Typical bloody teenager. Where's the fruit and veg at?

Yes and No.

Your body adapts to being able to deal with stress so it recovers quicker but, if you are trying to get 'pumped' then it's good to stress and push your body within sensible limits.

Stress -> adaptation.

I.e if you are still doing the same reps or weights that you first started with then it's not going to be beneficial and that's why you won't ache.

Make sense?

Perfect sense.

Worked out with a mate day before yesterday and I can hardly walk! Did dead lifts for the first time which felt good.

Onwards and upwards!!!

I meant protein shakes haha, I'm currently scouring http://www.myprotein.com/uk/ trying to figure out what to buy. There's so much stuff! :/

I was thinking of having a shake/drink to have during the exercise though.

I have myprotein core whey unflavoured, as I thought I'd end up getting bored of one flavour, don't.

Pay the extra 2 quid for flavoured, so so so worth it!

• Like 1

I have myprotein core whey unflavoured, as I thought I'd end up getting bored of one flavour, don't.

Pay the extra 2 quid for flavoured, so so so worth it!

Ouch man, even most of the flavoured ones taste like crap!

The worst flavour I've had is grape flavoured creatine which was absolutely rank.

I've had my protein total protein and total gainer, both chocolate flavour and both taste wank. The protein one mixed fine, the gainer on the other hand had sugar puff sized lumps and made me gag, it was thick like mousse too if done in a blender.

Now I'm on vanilla universal real gains, its true you get what you pay for it tastes amazing mixes perfect and the nutrition is better than any mp products.

There is definitely big selection of proteins supplements on the market, which one you go for all depends on what you are looking to achieve.

One of my favourite proteins is Gold standard whey protein - I rate it highly. I have used it both successfully when I am cutting and also when trying to gain lean muscle mass. Some little tips I have picked up are that adding oats to your morning shake is a great way to get slow releasing energy from your first meal. You can also add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to boost your post-workout protein shake. Another protein I have used which I rate highly as a post-workout supplement is After Glow by Biorythm ADS. It tastes great, mixes well and is fact acting.

• Like 1

What are your goals? Cutting, bulking, toning? What's your workout program like? Do you do cardio or just weights. So many factors change what you need :)

Ah okay, I'll try give you a idea.

I want to build muscles for trials, and be able to go back to the gym or back on the bike every day, or day after. I feel so ached all the time, I'd like something that'll help me tone my muscles, and repair them faster. I'm happy with my weight at 75kg, although I wouldn't mind losing weight or putting on weight as long as I am fit in general.

I'd like to build my arms and upper body, lower back and I'm doing some leg exercises too, so you could say I'm doing a full body workout. I'm trying to come up with a routine that gets me to focus on one batch of muscles for each gym session. Say, Mondays I do back, shoulders, Tuesday I do chest... I dunno, I keep doing the same exercises each time I've been going this week and I'm getting quite drained now, my lower back, the muscles around my neck, and abs are feeling sore.

Hope that helps? Also I commute to the gym by bike, 1 mile downhill there, 1 mile uphill back home.

I've had my protein total protein and total gainer, both chocolate flavour and both taste wank. The protein one mixed fine, the gainer on the other hand had sugar puff sized lumps and made me gag, it was thick like mousse too if done in a blender.

Now I'm on vanilla universal real gains, its true you get what you pay for it tastes amazing mixes perfect and the nutrition is better than any mp products.

I'm not overly fussed about taste, only outcome. Nor am I too fussed about price, and as long as it does what it says and in most cases you get what you pay for, like you say :)

• 7 months later...

You gunna start working out from when you should have started? My question is I spend most of my working day being pretty physical and figure I could make the most of it. Trouble is I have to ride 10ish miles most mornings so carrying lots of proper food is a bit of an issue. Options in terms of protein type stuff that isn't shakes? Looking to bulk up I suppose.