Bugatti Veyron

Davetrials

This from an article in the Times:

Link Here :)

Absolutely amazing. I read the article, the whole time thinking "Big deal, we can match that acceleration on bikes." Then I looked up some standard 0-60mph and quarter mile times for people riding the Suzuki Hayabusa. This car would win every race! More acceleration, higher top speed! Amazing.

EDIT: Found more times on 0-60mph and 1/4 mile- Looks like it's possible for the bike to beat the Veyron. But, nowhere near in top speed. Still incredible.

Edited by thegoofeedude

Absolutely amazing. I read the article, the whole time thinking "Big deal, we can match that acceleration on bikes." Then I looked up some standard 0-60mph and quarter mile times for people riding the Suzuki Hayabusa. This car would win every race! More acceleration, higher top speed! Amazing.

EDIT: Found more times on 0-60mph and 1/4 mile- Looks like it's possible for the bike to beat the Veyron. But, nowhere near in top speed. Still incredible.

The R1's got faster acceleration than the Hayabusa, just a lower overall top speed? R1's do (well, did a year or so ago anyway, might've changed now) 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds as standard, which is the same as the Veyron isn't it?

But yeah, the article was in the Sunday Times 2 weeks ago, so it was like a sneak preview of the Top Gear show...

I love the amount of crap people are saying... "RAAR ITS GOT A GAY SPOILER LOOKS LIKE A NOVA" yadadda end of the day they have created something pretty special, I know there are 1000+ bhp cars out there but theyre not standard which is very much the point i think...

According to fast-autos stats the car has "Horsepower: 1001 bhp @ 6000 rpm" and as for someone saying its only good for straight lines, Correct me if im wrong... He said it handles like an elise which last time i checked. Was f**king good.

---

Stolen from another forum

---

8 litre W16 Quad Turbo ( )

1001PS - 987BHP (officialy, but apparently its more like 1050BHP)

0 -62 - 2.5s

0 -125 - 7.3s

0 -186 - 16.7s

0 -250 - 55.6s

Top Speed : 253mph

Flat out it would empty it's 22 gallon petrol tank in 12 minutes! (2.3 mpg)

the rear Michelins cost £1400 EACH

Price : around £830,000

And, i think, the most impressive stat;

250-0 - 9.8s

What...the...f**k!

All stolen from EVO magazine, but i just had to share it!

Occasionally, if I accelerated hard in a tight corner, it behaved strangely as the four-wheel-drive system decided which axle would be best equipped to deal with the wave of power. I won’t say it’s a nasty feel or dangerous. Just weird, in the same way that the duck-billed platypus is weird.

lmao :D:lol:

Alas, what a world. Blatant waste of resources in my opinion. Imagine how much of an effect that sort of money could have on people dying from starvation in the third world. Lives could be saved. The west is insane.

Actually there is some benefit in it, Each Car costs roughly 5 million to produce yet sells for less than 1. The main aim was to master the technology to make such a car possible. For example a gearbox that can take 1000 horses is pretty impressive and that technology can filter all the way down to some truck in Africa.

Actually there is some benefit in it, Each Car costs roughly 5 million to produce yet sells for less than 1. The main aim was to master the technology to make such a car possible. For example a gearbox that can take 1000 horses is pretty impressive and that technology can filter all the way down to some truck in Africa.

The point he's making was totally missed there. Who the f**k NEEDS a 1000bhp car? That's the point. He's saying it was a waste of time to make something that isn't necessary in the first place. Why the hell would an African truck need a gearbox that could handle a 1000bhp engine?

Not having a go, just saying.

The point he's making was totally missed there. Who the f**k NEEDS a 1000bhp car? That's the point. He's saying it was a waste of time to make something that isn't necessary in the first place. Why the hell would an African truck need a gearbox that could handle a 1000bhp engine?

Not having a go, just saying.

You've missed mine too :P What i was trying to say is that massive technological gains have been made by producing this car, i'm not justifying the huge expense, just saying that its not entirely wasted. Just imagine if the Wright brothers hadn't bothered trying to fly cause it was too expensive, you get me?

I've also now got this mental picture of a little truck bombing it along in Kenya or somewhere at near warp speed lol :D

Edited by tipsy Jock

Wasnt there a TVR Speed 12 or something that was made as a proto but never made production.

Didnt that have 900bhp as standard but was too much to be legal.

Im not sure I heard it ages ago.

Peter Wheeler pulled the plug on the speed twelve, he said it was unmanagable on the road. That was 900 horse in about two thirds the weight of the veyron, so it would be a bit of an animal.

I think TVR made only 1 Speed 12 legal for the road by dropping a bit of power as I think it was intended for racing. This was then driven home by the CEO/MD at the time and when he returned the next day they stopped to rethink its production. Basic problem other than being uncomfortable and hard to drive slowly was that even from tic over in top gear (5th i think at the time) it would wheelspin if you pushed the throttle hard and 1st and 2nd were almost impossible to pull away in. They attached it to a machine that should be capable of measuring like 1000 lbft of torque and it snapped the machines drive shaft.

This is all from memory like 2 years ago though so it could be wrong.

Dan

how many people NEED to go on holiday??

how many people NEED more than one pair of shoes??

how many people NEED half the stuff they have...

Most people work hard for their money so why shouldnt they be allowed something they dont NEED - just because you cant have one doesnt mean no one else should...

Besides, If you care so much cancel your internet subscription and donate it to charity.

Flat out it would empty it's 22 gallon petrol tank in 12 minutes! (2.3 mpg)

Sorry to be perdantic, but it was a 100 gallon tank that it emptied in two minutes, giving it a lowly 1.9mpg...

Whats even more incredible is the ttorque the thing makes. Its just an ants toenail below 1000lb/ft!!!

To give you an example of how much force this is, here are some other facts about torque and cars:

The BMW 535 deisel had to be fitted with an auto 'box because they do not make a manual 'box strong enough to deal with the torque it produces. Which is 400lb/ft.

The Lambourghini Murcialago produces around 500lb/ft of torque, half that of the Veyron. The Lambo will eat clutches and gearboxes if you try to drive it sensibly around town because of the amount of torque it produces.

This means that the engineering gone into making a car that is as easy to drive as a VW Polo that has twice as much torque as a Lambo Murcialago, that will last you gone ten years has to be absolutely incredible.

And to the eco friendly mud hut save the rainforest dude - creating a car like this devises ways of making more efficient parts and processes that allow better materials to be made more quickly and cheaply. Which can and is passed on throughout the manufacturing world, so poor people in Africa can have more hospitals and schools and stuff.

If you want to rib a company for spending money on research, point your finger at NASA. But again, they research that goes on is invaluable to the future markets of the world.

When did I say strip yourself of all possesions? I didn't. Although I do believe people should be a lot more considerate than they are in regards to their usage of resources and materials. I don't mean I think everyone should live in a bare room. But I do think that the spending of £250 000 000 could be put to much better use than on fast, attractive looking cars. I mean, come on, a nice construct of metal that moves, or peoples lives? If you appeal to one of the main aspects that makes you human, it shouldn't even be an option. Unfortunately, you lead me to assume that you obviously care more about a moving piece of metal.

My argument is most certainly not about me not being able to own one. I've never learnt how to drive and hopefully never will. I have little interest in cars other than the negative effects they have on this planet. I do accept their function, which does have a valid place in society. Unfortunately people use them past their function. They are a fashion at a hugh cost to a great deal of rest of the world at the moment and certainly to the future of the world.

I practise what I preach, just in case you make any assumptions about double standards. I believe I do a lot more than most. My internet access is a means of learning which can't be established through mainstream channels. I think it's justifiable, when the learning is a means of trying to understand and help this world.

I just want you people to think about this. What should matter the most?