Bugatti Veyron

Davetrials

The development costs of the new bug. would never have gone towards helping people who really need it, I suppose thats the corporate world we have, and I feel as disappointed with the way things are as you do. Only I hope that by knowing how to "make bits of metal move", I could help people. Youve got to accept that the modern advantages you're enjoying (electricity, heating, t'internet, transport, clean water and a few others) are only here due to people being interested in making bits of metal that move. Just because we're discussing that rather than world poverty, doesnt mean we care less about people.

I'm presuming that as your on the forum, you had or have a bike. Can you justify that in the grand scheme of things?

Considering that bike (the Dodge Tomahawk) has a top speed of 360 mph or something utterly insane, and a faster 0-60 than the bugatti.. oh and a bigger engine than the veyron (8.3 letre), i'd say it'd leave the veyron standing lol

It is a truely insane bit of machinery. You would need arms like the Hulk to hold on.

I take it you're highly recognised and experienced in the field of mechanical engineering and motorcycle design to be making a statement like that?

Not but i did read a double page artical on it in Motor cycle news on it and that was a very breif summary or what it was like :P

Blimey why is everyone so stressy on this forum now! never used to be like this :(

Edited by Matt_Tupman

My argument is most certainly not about me not being able to own one. I've never learnt how to drive and hopefully never will. I have little interest in cars other than the negative effects they have on this planet. I do accept their function, which does have a valid place in society. Unfortunately people use them past their function. They are a fashion at a hugh cost to a great deal of rest of the world at the moment and certainly to the future of the world.

hes funny... I like him...

hahahah :D

Alas, what a world. Blatant waste of resources in my opinion. Imagine how much of an effect that sort of money could have on people dying from starvation in the third world. Lives could be saved. The west is insane.

Although ;)

Developments in the world have also had unforeseen positive consequences on other aspects of life. For example, because we love making guns and shooting each other, our surgical and operating techniques are properly good now (not just for gunshots wounds either), meaning that mankind is benefiting 'cos if we somehow hurt ourselves massively, we can be sewn up right as rain again. Same for superglue. Where would we be without superglue, which was made for the US Army to glue people together with when they got shot to shit in some war they were fighting in?

What I'm trying to say is that technology filtration is a good thing. Some of the new ideas come up with by Bugatti/VW might some day help the people you're talking about, whether it's creating a new type of vehicle to distribute aid to cut-off areas of the third world or whether it's helping to do something else to help some other person, who knows where it could lead?

It was, as they said themselves, a design exercise - to prove it could be done.

Think about the Wright brothers. If they hadn't gone "Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'd be mad cool if we managed to fly", we wouldn't have aeroplanes and helicopters now which mean that more aid can be delivered to third world people, or help evacuate people from war-torn/natural disaster areas, and so on?

All I'm saying is that this sort of experimental idea is helping the world. Yes, it's wasting some metal and other materials to do it, but if it could have a positive knock-on effect further down the road, why not?

Plus they look cool as shit?

Alas, what a world. Blatant waste of resources in my opinion. Imagine how much of an effect that sort of money could have on people dying from starvation in the third world. Lives could be saved. The west is insane.

sadly ben.... although you mean well by that post...

there is NOTHING we can do for the 3rd world....

lets face it.... we can have a big concert, raise several million pounds, chuck it at africa.... and a few kids wont die this month....

the harsh reality is that they ARE going to die..... thats life, its the way its been for years.they will just die 3 months later thanks to the charity money......

so, its a nice idea, but its utterly pointless....

whatever happened to charity starts at home? we should be sorting out our own problems before even considering those which we realisticly have no chance of helping anyway!

same thing goes for VW, they could ahve chucked several million quid towards africa..... but tehy wouldnt get anything to show for it, the kids are still going to die! (not that i agree its right, but its a fact)

they set out to prove a point, and bugger me, they sure did a good job!

sorry rowly, but u NEED to learn to drive these days..... its pretty hard getting around if u cant drive.....

aged 40 you'll be the only bloke in the pub who cant drive :P

Sorry to be perdantic, but it was a 100 gallon tank that it emptied in two minutes, giving it a lowly 1.9mpg...

It's 100 litres, which will be around 22 gallons :)

I dont know, He sounds like the kind of backwards person that would love the plague and come up with some ultra retarded reason as well... (N)

I can't work out if that's funny or not. It's just weird.

aged 40 you'll be the only bloke in the pub who cant drive :P

Don't get me started. Oh go on then. Apparently 1 in 6 drivers intend to drive whilst being over the legal limit this Christmas. WTF is that all about? Pubs and cars don't mix...

I'm properlly ill this morning so only a quickie reply I'm afraid. I was up all night coughing and puking. Not a very pleasant experience.

Mark, I understand what you mean, that there exists potential for this technological gain to have a knock on effect in some form or another ann for that effect to be benificial in some humanitarian way. However, I think we need to be practical about this. I think the potential is small and unforseen and the current situation demands more direct action. It's not just about the third world it's about the future of the environment amd I'm not just refering to this partiular car, I'm refering to the whole fashion of the car industry. I think cars should not be used as they are. People should use public transport or walk or cycle and only use their cars when absolutely neccesary. They should not be used for fun or for being lazy. I can totally understand why people would want to use them for fun. Make them look nice etc. I wish everyone could use them for fun. But the current situation demands this is not possible.

In regards to your comments Nick, cars reflect only one element of an overall contribution or ommision of behaviour that we in the west perform. I could give you a long long list as to why we strongly contribute to many detramental situations all accross the world including Africa. One of these being our selfish hoarding of resources. Just an example, but I think it's eight western corporations earn more than half the worlds population. That's ridiculous.

I do understand that in Africa, a lot of their situations arise from the regimes and dictators that come into power. Again, if you knew about how involved OUR goverment, who reprenset all of us, as well as many other goverments in the west were involved in a lot off these situations, I believe you'd think a fair bit differently about how we are unable to help. We supply many of these dictators and regimes with their guns because they are more friendly to our "need" to strip their country of their resources.

The live aid concernt was a farce, as was the g8. The money raised from the live aid concert is only good if we inject it into a country that can self sustain. A lot of these countries can't self sustain due to the various economic sanctions we impose on them. I could go on but I need to rest my head. The computer screen hurts.

I don't really care if I'm the only one not driving at the age of 40. Maybe by then people will lbe more aware of how their actions have f**ked the planet up in one way or another. Sorry to sound harsh. It's not fun arguing when everyone is against you, but I've got to say what I think. At least I'll know I tried.

I work at a pub and to be fair, most of our staff have at some point driven home over the limit, I drive to work but have never driven back having drunk, I can think of only one time where I had a single measure and then drove back 3 hours later.

Its strange that people dont realise just how dangerous it is, I learned this about 5 years ago funnily enough while trying to play online shooters while pissed, your reactions just suck. Plain and simple.

Neither could that bike but then again a quick blast of the throtle and you may be able to spin yourself round.

oh that bike is the biggest load of wank! but i like your steering technique possinle have rear wheels seperatly driven, then you could drive it like a tank ha ha :P

Edited by Matt_Tupman