A "what Stem" Topic

Ali C

hi folks

I dont normally ask which parts to buy as I tend to know what I like and like what I know.

This time is different though.

I am upgrading (or downgrading) to normal 25.4mm clamp bar and stem as it will flex more and hopfully reduce a bit of the arm pump I get.

I am gonna get some azonic bars as I like their shape, I am aware they are a bit unreliable, but I will probably get a new set every other year or so.

I am stuck on what stem to get though.....I have a few features I would like to have on it, but its not set in stone,

low steerer hight

no pinch bolts on back of steerer

4 bolt front clamp

100mm length

5-10 degree rise

black

strong

cheap

and lightish

Again I would like those features but I can bend a little.

I have been looking at:

fsa xc170

race face evolve II

race face prodigy II

thompson elite

I have been looking at the above stems, non of them have all the features...its a hard choice

I know most people will say thopmson, but they are exspensive, are they really worth the extra honey?

any other stems that meet my needs?

cheers humble trials folk

Ps this was meant to be a poll, but I cant work out how to do it :S

ali, the thomson is more than worth it, i can guarantee it will be the best purchase you will ever get (stem wise) just go for it, race face are pish, and FSA are not the best either, thomson all the way im afraid, it is definately worth the extra moolah.

:)

my 2p

your 2p and his 70 odd quid :P

echo control.

Clarky.

would be a loose fit with 25.4 mm bars :rolleyes:

I will probably get a thomson, but it will cost me £30ish, I could get the fsa and race face for next to nothing, maybe free. But once I have got one I can ask for another, so I have to choose well.

now then....I would have liked the thompson in 10 degree rise, but they only come in 5 or 15, which to go for? decisions decisions.

ali, the thomson is more than worth it, i can guarantee it will be the best purchase you will ever get (stem wise) just go for it, race face are pish, and FSA are not the best either, thomson all the way im afraid, it is definately worth the extra moolah.

:)

my 2p

damn right ben, thomson stems are very good, i have an elite in 100mm and 5 degree rise with some easton ea70 bars, the stem feels so stiff and you can really see the build quality in them, its awesome. well worth the extra cash over any other stem. very light, incredibly stiff, tad expensive. . . .but you can really see and feel the difference over a normal stem B)

thompson all day long. had a 100mm version on my echo with try-all bars and was absolutely spot on. i could have sworn they do them in 10 deg rise though?? prob wrong :- . i'd go for a 5 deg if not, however, depending on what frame you have check what dimension stem they come with as a full bike and stick close to this unless you unusually large or small. :D

Ali, I use a truvative 110mm 5deg stem with some koxx bars and I think its great.

It ticks most of your boxes and looks very nice indeed.

Ipaid £26.99 in bikedock for mine.

Called a Truvative Team

Here is some poop quality pics of it, the bolt on the rear has never caused me a problem as its fairly well rounded.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Taken specially for you Ali :P

ali im pretty sure that i'm running the fsa xc170 that you mentioned above, and i have to say that i absolutely love my stem. these are very strong, unbelievably light and also very good looking. they come in black with a silver front part, and this looks great.

get one of these stems!!!

Tom

ali im pretty sure that i'm running the fsa xc170 that you mentioned above, and i have to say that i absolutely love my stem. these are very strong, unbelievably light and also very good looking. they come in black with a silver front part, and this looks great.

get one of these stems!!!

Tom

i had a look at mine today and it is definantly an fsa xc170. it is 105mm long with 6 degree rise. it is a really nice stem and everyone should get one!!

tom