Gears...and Tyres

Tom Booth

Alright lads/ladesses

Im soon to be running gears, And would like to know what sort of gearing is a decent set up....I saw hecasette on selectbikes and the 8 speed shifter....ut im a little put off as it is a 21-19-17 set up..would it be possible to loose the 21 and replace it and put an 18 in the adiquate place? Is the 8 speed shifter on there good? Or can someone recomend a decent rodie cassette which has an 18 tooth i and dosent go to high.

And my second question....What are the michelin comp 24's like for pinch protection? Im getting fed up of buying a maxxis every 3 months, and ive heard nothing but good about the michelin. just wondered about general info on these pleaaaase.

Cheers

Tom

Alright lads/ladesses

What are the michelin comp 24's like for pinch protection? Cheers

Tom

the michelin comp 24s are very good for pinch protection. mine was very good and i had it for quite a while. the only problem is that after alot of bashing about, the metal beading in the sidewall pierced through the tyre and kept on giving me punctures <_< that was really anoying but i think its because i couldnt be arsed to get a new tyre and kept on running it down. other than that it was great (Y)

Tom

oh and i never got a pinch B)

Edited by T-Limburn

i bought a shimano HG-70 cassette in 21:12 then took it apart by unscrewing the three pins at the back of it, the highest gear that i use is 19 tooth as i use 22:19 ratio most the time i then ditched 2 of the gears think it was 21 and 14 and then replaced the two gears with three old metal cassette spacers

cassette works perfect and with first gear being spaced over a bit with the three spacers it gives you a great chain line

i use a modified xt 8 speed shifter pod, basically i unscrewed the screen that shows what gear you're in and then covered the top part in black duck tape to keep crap out, by taking it off you save a little weight and it has more space to rotate up a little bit more out the way. the actual thumb shifter part for changing into lower gears is quite large so i took a file and filed back the plastic alot making the thumb shifter much smaller and smoother shaped so it's alot more out the way, i finished it off with some sandpaper so it looks very smooth

ideal mech for this is a shimano 105 short cage, mine is also locked out so it doesn't bounce off the frame all the time, even though it's locked out all my gears work perfectly

:)

The compo 24's are good but the 2.5 hot s is better! it just grips soooo much also only ever got 1 pinch on it runnin standard thickness tube, and they come with kevlar bead so loads lighter. i also run mine on a megamo rim at around 20psi and it has never ever come off. as long as you can handle the red colour :) ,

As for gears, go for a shimano roadie HG jobbie and see above, taking it apart and moving your prefered cog over with spacers and removing a couple of cogs is ideal.

i love michelling tyres!! My comp 24 is amazing! In terms of pinch protection, its very good! i've had a few... but thats my own fault with running the tyre presure farrr toooo low! They are very good tyres..... however i have noticed they tend to wear quite well - dunno how bad in comparison to other tyres (having only ever used a michellin!) but i got through 1 tyre riding every day for about 2 months..... So i spose its not all that bad.

Go for it! (Y)

The compo 24's are good but the 2.5 hot s is better! it just grips soooo much also only ever got 1 pinch on it runnin standard thickness tube, and they come with kevlar bead so loads lighter. i also run mine on a megamo rim at around 20psi and it has never ever come off. as long as you can handle the red colour :) ,

As for gears, go for a shimano roadie HG jobbie and see above, taking it apart and moving your prefered cog over with spacers and removing a couple of cogs is ideal.

your joking right ? :huh: i had more grip that time i ran an oil slick intead of a tire...

mike

Edited by leedstrials

your joking right ? :huh: i had more grip that time i ran an oil slick intead of a tire...

mike

errrr........Nope, best tyre i've used by miles. and ive had a fair few. every IRC, some maxxis, Schwable, Tioga's, Echo etc and it far exceeds any of those. wouldn't swap it. However, i am liking the sound of these new Maxxis jobbies. anyone have one?? i dont have a clue what there called :blink:

Hmmm, I always found them awful. >_<

mike

I do believe they've had a compound change, so *maybe* they might work now?

only down side i would say is that they dont feel that nice to ride with, it gives a dead sorta feeling and no bounce unless you run stupidly low pressures.

i have to agree with rich here, as they are excellent tyres but seem to be almost a little too solid.

excellent tyres in terms of wear and pinch protection, but are a little dull on the back wheel with no bounce or real feel to them etc.

edit: oh and the 2.2 michelin is a very nice width when on a decent width rim. it is more like a 2.4 or something when on something like a koxx or echo rim.

infact the 2.5 version of the tyre when on a fat rim would probably be too wide. go for the 2.2 version.

Edited by T-Limburn

I've bought a shimano HG-70 cassette in 21:12....Gonna ditch the 21 and put the 19 in its place and put an 18 tooth where the 19 was :SLol..Anyway cheers for the help lads....Just need a shimano grip shift now..Lbs to the rescue..

I think the michelin will be bought when my maxxis dies (another month? 2?) So thanks again lads

Cheers

Tom

Only downside (depending on which way you look at it) with a Michelin is that the sidewall is so thick it feels 'dead' and much less bouncy than a Maxxis.

But i found i didn't of loads of lil correctional hops when i changed to a Michelin.

Thye last ages too.

My ideal set up would be Comp 24 2.2 rear, Try-all Stiky front.

• 1 month later...

Where can i buy a 2.5 comp 24 for less than £35??

Is it possible?

Cheers,

Luke (Y)

Sorry it took me 4 weeks to reply to that but have a look on airevalley cycles, if i remember right they sell a 2.5 michelin comp 24 for £19.99 which is a lot less than £35.

yo...i changed from an el gato on a dx32 to a red (make any difference?) 2.5" hot s on a koxx rim...

and it is pretty shite in comparison really..grip wise..have to run it a fair bit harder too...

useable in the dry...but if it's wet, i nearly die (Y)

the 24 looks good...weighs a fair bit mind..

adam