Carbon Fibre

rhythm_101

Hi, my friend and i are in need of some info regarding carbon fibre. Basically we want to make a carbon chain guide (using an E-thirteen as the "insperation") just need some ideas of strength and flex , we're looking into using 4mm think pure carbon for the back plate, is there any special way of cutting it regarding the weave? will it be too flexy? or too brittle? anyone know of a place where we could order a sheet or two? if anyone has any info regarding carbon fibre, please don't hesitate to put it in here, al info is halpul :)(Y)

thank you to everyone in advance

It is hard to work with so your going to need to research how you are going to form it. Is carbon fibre the most suitable material or are you using it purely for looks?

it's been used heavily in the bike industry for years now, everyone know the advantages (strength to weight ratio etc) and theres a few carbon chain guides knocking around, (one made by Ethirteen) we mainly want to use it for the low weight, and it's a bit of a chalange to keep us occupied :)

is itn for a school project? cos if it is then you can note down the problems you came across in your evaluation or whatever

It is a bitch to work with, and extremely expensive. Id look up company's that work with C-F before you attempt to try it yourself

you would need to make a mould and then layer it into the mould with layers of resin too. also for strength you would need to put aluminium waffle in at least one layer. i was chatting with my mate from work about it who has been doing about carbon production at the motorsport college he goes too.

i was going to make a chain tensioner out of it but it was too small to make or something

hope this may help

is there any special way of cutting it regarding the weave? will it be too flexy? or too brittle? anyone know of a place where we could order a sheet or two? if anyone has any info regarding carbon fibre, please don't hesitate to put it in here, al info is halpul :)(Y)

thank you to everyone in advance

get a sheet from a material supply company (mcmaster.com might ship to uk) and cut it out. if it's brittle or flexy then that's how it's going to be. if you want to do anything more with its properties, or optimize it for the loads a chain tensioner is going to see, then you're going to need to make some friends with people that know or take some classes/read some books. either way, carbon fiber is pretty bad with impact and abrasion, despite it apparently being made from a "badass weave" :ermm:

i'd go for polycarbonate or somethin personally. be a piece o cake to make, cheaper, and u don't have all the complications and chance of failure you have with c-f. is it the same stuff E-13 use for their devices? can't be bad if its used for bulletproof windows!

as for c-f, do you have to cut it under compression or somthin, to stop it frayin and cracking as bad? i wasn't allowed to use it at college, because its too much hassle, n nasty stuff on the hands!

You would need special breathing equipment because it's nasty shit and some titanuim/ diamond drill bits etc because it will blunt standard tools straight away ( i think, of ftop of my head anyway)

Best person to ask is Edd Potts (Dave85), hes the engineering wizzard on here (Y)

right, it's not for a school project, we've already contacted a few companies that make some chain devices for MSC, it's not for a chain tensioner it's for a chain guide, and we already know it's going to be difficult, that's the challange :) i'll have a look at the companies you've suggested (Y) anyone else?

i'd go for polycarbonate or somethin personally. be a piece o cake to make, cheaper, and u don't have all the complications and chance of failure you have with c-f. is it the same stuff E-13 use for their devices? can't be bad if its used for bulletproof windows!

as for c-f, do you have to cut it under compression or somthin, to stop it frayin and cracking as bad? i wasn't allowed to use it at college, because its too much hassle, n nasty stuff on the hands!

It's supposed to be cooked at 120*C at 90psi I think, so you'll need to find a pressure cooker somewhere. We have one at our school/sixth form so you could ask at your school/college.

right, it's not for a school project, we've already contacted a few companies that make some chain devices for MSC, it's not for a chain tensioner it's for a chain guide, and we already know it's going to be difficult, that's the challange :) i'll have a look at the companies you've suggested (Y) anyone else?

What ever you do, make sure you remember its a fibrous material. I forgot and Ive grinded + drilled an XTR booster only for it to fall to pieces :(