Front Wheel Hops

mikey23

- use both your legs and arms to hop

- practise endos to find the balamce point

- learn to fall off

i think front hops a good skill to learn, they help learning how your bike 'feels' on the front wheel which is good for wheelswaps and gaps to front wheel and stuff.

plus you can do some neat trick on the front wheel too :)

mike

It's a nice little trick to do, but to be honest, all it is is unneccessary damage to your forks/headtube. Just looking at the How To Front Hop vid on www.slctrials.com, the forks seem to flex like mad! Not too good for a set of forks like the Echo Easy for example :- . Even though I'm getting those forks :lol:

It's a cool trick to learn, you need to recognise where your balance point is before you can do loads, I found that using different bars/stem helps/doesn't help if you know what I mean.

Basically, sometimes the balance point can be so small that they are nearly impossble, if you can't get them with practise, and your really really desperate to leanr them a different bar/stem set up might help...

My advise is concentrate on stuff on your back wheel for now mate (Y):)

I do loads of front hops, and the odd hook here and there, aslong as you have short forks (e.g. either on a mod, or short stock forks, so there is less leverage), and they are a strong pair, you should be fine to learn with them. Just dont fronthop too agressively!

The way I found helped a lot while learning, is to TRY to fall over the bars when you do some fronthops. This'll "guts you up" and make you feel more confident/less scared of falling over the front, which is what the trick is about really.

Just dont be scared of falling over the front, find that balance point!

Even if you do find it, you might not be able to do many at first due to how tiring it is, but dont worry, after a while the right muscles develop and then it isnt tiring at all!

the advice i was given off ashton at a bike show a few year back was to actually hop the bike underneath you.... (basically the same as how to back-hop from tricks and stunts) as yoru rear wheel starts to fall, hop and pull the bike under you more so the back comes back up.... after a while you'll get the hang of just finding yoru balance point and be able to hop on the spot

another trick i found that helps with finding your balance point on the front wheel is "switzerland squekers" (backwards stoppie)

and on the subject of the stress on the front wheel... curtis frame + DMR trailblade forks :lol: no flex at all :wub:

the advice i was given off ashton at a bike show a few year back was to actually hop the bike underneath you.... (basically the same as how to back-hop from tricks and stunts) as yoru rear wheel starts to fall, hop and pull the bike under you more so the back comes back up....

yeah thats what I wanted to say but im too tarded to think of it

well put (Y)