Thin Rims

deanie-b

Ok, My theory =

You have a thin rim, and a thick rim both made from say.... Aluminium

You run the same pressure,tires, on each one. The wheels are exactly identical.

The thick rim would last longer right?

The weight\pressure on each one would be spread through a larger surface area, So this would make it endure more abuse for longer.

People say Mavic's are strongest (thin)

So how is that?

Edited by deanie-b

Thin can be very strong. Imagine a steel ruler, bend it on flat, very very easy, even though its very wide. Turn it on its side and its super thin, but you'll never ever bend it. Its an extreme example but the principles apply.

So a thicker walled rim helps, but also by having a wider wall, gives alot more strength. Then if you can share the load between the 2 walls of the rim (like the curved inner edge of the mavic - much like the way an arch in a bridge helps spread the load) it all helps.

To conclude then class.. :- .... Its not just the thickness of the wheel, its the enginnering of its profile.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :S I'm a construction engineer, so know little about alumium extruding and profiling :P

Edited by DeeZee

Thin can be very strong. Imagine a steel ruler, bend it on flat, very very easy, even though its very wide. Turn it on its side and its super thin, but you'll never ever bend it. Its an extreme example but the principles apply.

So a thicker walled rim helps, but also by having a wider wall, gives alot more strength. Then if you can share the load between the 2 walls of the rim (like the curved inner edge of the mavic - much like the way an arch in a bridge helps spread the load) it all helps.

To conclude then class.. :- .... Its not just the thickness of the wheel, its the enginnering of its profile.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :S I'm a construction engineer, so know little about alumium extruding and profiling :P

No, No, I think your right :) , In comparison to what others have said anyway. I forgot to mention about sidewall thickness.

like you get a pencil and keep cracking it over your head,

its easy to snap when its long

and hard to snap when its short

its just the way it is! but for trials you have wide tires for balence and had to put on skinny ass rims

skinnier rims are easier to fold though!

like you get a pencil and keep cracking it over your head,

its easy to snap when its long

and hard to snap when its short

its just the way it is! but for trials you have wide tires for balence and had to put on skinny ass rims

skinnier rims are easier to fold though!

However though, think about it. What's easier to snap, a 2ft thick really long pencil, or a 2mm thick shorter one? It's all down to the sidewalls, the rim walling, the rim profile, whether it's eyeletted - there are a shitload of variables to take into account. For example:

Note rim profile - IPB Image

Note the profile of the bottom pic - IPB Image

So basically, it really depends on profile, intended use, material, etc...

I'm an Economist, so i have no idea what the engineers are going on about. But i've found that the Try all (wider) rim i currently use is much weaker than the good old mavic D521 ceramic (thin)!!

The Try all rims are better for cushioning drops and gaps as the tyre is stretched more (larger area) but, i find them weaker. I have flat-spotted and buckled the wheel with ease.

The D521 was stronger and gave me little problem and i found it easier to set up the brakes.

The option is your's but i am going back to my D521 when i start to pimp out my bike.

Neil ^_^

PS the Try all rims look pimp (black with white rim tape), one reason why i love them (Y)

PPS I'd say the D521s are more cost effective ;)

The try-alls are known for being weak wide rims whereas the 721 is considered to be one of the strongest thin rims, hardly a like for like comparison. Try comparing the 721 to the echo 06 or the try-all to something thats thin and not a 721 for a fairer test. The rim profiles on the 721 and 729 is pretty similar to the echo 06 so i would be happy comparing those.

To be honest i don't really care if you think they are not worth comparing. I'm giving him my personal experience. By using other people's knowledge he will be able to make a more educated decision. I never told him to go for a wide or a thin rim.....just my experience with a wide and a thin rim.

Neil ^_^

Edit: But i agree with Max in saying that the tryalls are weak

Edited by Clownbike