Motorbikes

Duck

Once you've done your CBT you'll be able to ride a bike not exceeding 125cc and producing 11kW (14.6bhp). Do it- motorbikes are awesome :D

Mine's almost there now, just need mirrors to pass the SVA and should be in the road in Jan...

Dave

edit: but what Pinky's getting at I think is that once you're 21 you can take the direct access course which allows you to ride any size bike on completion of the course. FYO CBT is about £100 including bike hire and direct access is usually about £500 and is done over about 4 days.

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

edit: but what Pinky's getting at I think is that once you're 21 you can take the direct access course which allows you to ride any size bike on completion of the course. FYO CBT is about £100 including bike hire and direct access is usually about £500 and is done over about 4 days.

Yeah sorry I forgot about this, yeah do the direct access course and get a 600cc (Y)

I'd say get a 125 first.

I can safely say that if i'd gone direct access (ignoring my age) I'd have crashed by now I think. I've learnt so much by beeing able to ride my XR125 around with L plates on going to work and back etc. I've done 700 or so miles on L plates and I can clearly see an improvment from week to week, I just dont think I could feel safe enuogh to ride a big bike after only 4 days instruction.

Its been 5/6 weeks since i passed my CBT, I've had lessons most sunday mornnigs with trained instructors and I'm not ready to take my test (theory done ^_^ ). At which point I can get anything limited to 33bhp, which on a motorbike is still not exactly slow. Thats for two years, then you can ride anyhting you want. Or you can do the direct acess after you get some raod experiance on a 33bhp bike

But anyways, yeh motorbikes are awesome fun, go get one :P

Wait till you're 21 and go direct access, this will save you money over all pissin about on restricted 125's etc and allow you to get something that can make a maneuver! Trust me, taking 5 minutes to get up to 70 will start to piss you right off after a while. Save yourself some cash and go for something more long-term. (Y)

Wait till you're 21 and go direct access, this will save you money over all pissin about on restricted 125's etc and allow you to get something that can make a maneuver! Trust me, taking 5 minutes to get up to 70 will start to piss you right off after a while. Save yourself some cash and go for something more long-term. (Y)

Im sorry but thats the kind of attitude that causes accidents. I knew a person who did direct access and went straight out and bought a GSXR600. He thought, oh its only a 600 it will be fine. He crashed the same day, as he wasnt even remotely experienced enough to handle such a bike.

I have a restriced Suzuki GS500 (33bHp) but that will do 0-60 in seconds, and reach a max speed of around 110mph. Thats not exactly slow... And even thats a handful sometimes.

Do a CBT and get used to riding a bike on the roads. Its very different to driving a car as you have to be so much more alert. A 125 will be plenty while you learn and take your full test. Its the most sensible idea as otherwise theres a high chance of a serious accident.

And also, bikes hold their vaule very well, especially 125s, as there is always a constant demand for them. I sold my Kawasaki KMX125 for the same price I payed for it, so you're not loosing anything by taking things a bit slower

Edited by NBRtrials.tk

I was tempted to do a direct access course, I'm 23 and have had a full driving license for 6 years...but thought better of it. I know if I went out and bought a nice 600 or something I would be bound to drop it, crash it, kill myself or whatever. If you get a good fun 125 that'll do you until you pass your full test I think it's the better, safer option. Have a look at something like a Cagiva Super City- a proper sized 125 supermoto style beast.

Also don't forget that once you do your full test and can ride a 33bhp machine for two years that ANY bike (pretty much) can be properly restricted to 33bhp for about £100.

Dave

Yea a 125 all of the way it will do 80 something miles per hour and as a learner that is loads, on a bike you feel like your going well faster and your silly buggers to race them

i passed my CBT for my ped within a week have dinged it 2ce but not too bothered as long as its not with another car after all the ped is £180 and i couldnt give a flying monkey, in 6 months gonna get a 1991 125cc super sport as insurance will be about £1500, ideally i would get a Aprilla RR 125 but that insurance is more like £1600! so think but deffo get a 125 do a CBT and find out if you like it for 2yrs before loosing 5 days and £500 quid something to think about

Your argument is a touch flawed nbrtrials,

Bikes and cars only go as fast as you make them go, so that guy that crashed his gsxr should of been a bit more sensible!

He had done a direct access and was fully trained, they wouldn't of passed him if he was all over the place!

I got a bike the long way, 50cc scooter, Yamaha DT50MX, Suzuki TS125R, Suzuki Goose 350!

If i could go back, i'd miss out the 50cc bikes and just go straight for a 125!

Bikes and cars only go as fast as you make them go, so that guy that crashed his gsxr should of been a bit more sensible!

He had done a direct access and was fully trained, they wouldn't of passed him if he was all over the place!

I got a bike the long way, 50cc scooter, Yamaha DT50MX, Suzuki TS125R, Suzuki Goose 350!

Thankyou, im just saying that in everyday life, such as travelling on dual carrigeways, you want a bike that you dont have to rape the engine on just to do the speed limit! My dad rides a kawazaki zx9r. Thats a 178mph bike, but he as the rider has the power to go at whatever speed he likes on it, And go as fast as he see's safe.

Use your head :S If you've done a test or whatever on a piece of shit 125, then go straight to a 600, it's going to be a lot harder to control the power of it. Think about it! There's a world of difference between the two. Hence 'born again' riders crashing 'cos they had loads of experience on older bikes, but the new ones have got much sharper brakes and much more powerful acceleration.

Don't forget as well though that you CAN get a 'big' bike restricted, but - to use an R1 as an example again - if you get yourself an R1 then restrict it, it'll feel like shit. They're made to work well using their power, so if you slash that power it's gonna be waffer.

Supermoto all the way though :P

Also don't forget that once you do your full test and can ride a 33bhp machine for two years that ANY bike (pretty much) can be properly restricted to 33bhp for about £100.

Dave

But realistically you wouldn't want anything over 600 restricted to 33bhp, pretty pointless.

They did a test once and restricted a hyabusa (fastest roadbike) and it was pretty much uselss

Since you've/your ridden/riding some of the slowest bikes going I dont think you'd know anything about power :P

Riding a 350 GOOSE :lol: (name says it all) I dont think you can say how easy or not easy a gsxr is to crash. A small flick of the wrist to open the throttle open like you may on your goose and you'd have tyres spinning and one wheel action all over the shop!

When you do your test your only riding a 125 which frankly isnt all that hard!

It's more of your awareness and how you react rather than bike control which is pretty basic for any bike.

(Y)

But realistically you wouldn't want anything over 600 restricted to 33bhp, pretty pointless.

They did a test once and restricted a hyabusa (fastest roadbike) and it was pretty much uselss

I'm sure you're right, I was just pointing out that it's possible to do it, not necessarily advisable!! Anyhoo, here's a pic of a Super City going on Bike Trader for about £1500 at the mo.

IPB Image

Fast for a 125 and proper bike sized so it won't disappear up your arse!! Look quite swish too. If money's no object have a look at the Yamaha DT125X

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo