Headset

trialsinchris

Right, first things first - the "lock front brake and rock bike" technique isn't that great for checking your headset. Your pads may be rocking in your disc caliper/Magura, your wheel bearings might be f**ked, etc. It's not a great way of checking it.

Anyways, just loosen the two stem bolts (usually two, anyway) behind the steerer tube. Then, tighten up the top cap bolt a little. Tighten the stem up again, and see how that goes.

Thanks but tried that and top cap bolt just spins i think its come unthreaded, any help on what to do now

Is it super loose or something? Either way, it does sound like you may have f**ked the insert on the star-nut. I did with mine :( Basically, just try undoing the top-bolt. You may find it won't come out properly (mine certainly didn't), and if not, you'll have to try and prise the top-cap off the stem. This isn't fun, but you've got to do it. Then, you can just get a new star-nut and mash that into your stem on top of the old one. Worked for me :)

i have a few other bikes could i take one off of them and if so how and how to fit my my trials bike also if i prise top cap off will nut come with it

You won't be able to re-use a star-nut. The star-nut shouldn't and probably won't come off with the top-cap. Mine tore the star-nut a new arsehole and ripped the insert with it, but not the top and bottom plates. IT doesn't really matter about them though, to be honest. Either way, get yourself a new star-nut and just hit it into the forks. You may need to use an old bolt to have the head sticking up a little above the top of the fork (wehn the starnut goes underneath the edge of the fork) so you can hit it in further. Above all, keep it straight. Might be work getting your LBS to do, to be honest.

Is the star-nut slipping up the inside of the steerer? Often the cause.

Alternatively, strip your headset down. If it's sealed bearing, just hold the bearings in your hand and spin the inner with your other hand. If it's all notchy and tight and shit, it could be new headset time. By the same token, if it's super loose, then yeah - bearings it is. If it's open bearing, just clean the ball bearings, check them for wear, check the cups for any pitted parts or any obvious sign of wear, then reassemble and regrease.

Check the star-nut though :)

Headsets are one thing I don't enjoy tampering with ...

Anything with bearings scare me, I get a mechanic's magnetic tray and hold it directly under the headset when i slacked it off, It catches the bearings a treat (Y)

I use copper ease to lube them back in.

IPB Image

£4.99 from speeding.co.uk

THIS SITE APPLIES TO CARS ONLY, THE DESCRIPTION SAYS USED TO REDUCE BRAKE SQUEAL.

DO NOT USE COPPER EASE ON BICYCLES BRAKES.

This sounds similar to a problem i had.What i had done was ripped the threads out of the star nut to fix this problem go to your local bike shop and ask for a new star nut these are about £3 and to fit it you knock your old one out with a screw driver then hit the new one in about 50mm and see if this fixes it, if not im not sure whats wrong sorry.

Cheers Mackey (Y)