Some Advice

John planet x

Hello. Im used to running 20:17 gear ratio. But recently changed me wheel so it has a 16t on the back. At first it feel so dung, and was gonna go buy a 17t cog (but noone has any atm :P). So i go out back and try gapping around and it's starting to feel alright.

Was wondering how many people ride with a similar ratio like 20:16. And if you think its too heavy and adds too much extra stress on hub/chain etc, would i be in for more snaps and screw ups 0_o. Thinking more of my health here than anything.

Probably paranoid :P

Any advice or knowledge would be handy.

I've been using 20:19 for years.

So far, the only benefit I've found for stiffer gears is doing rolling moves. So you can pick up some speed and still have oomph left in the gears to give it a kick.

I'm running 20:18 at the moment because I wanted to give it a chance as everyone seems to think I need to run a stiffer gear :ermm:

I really dont understand. 20:19... i thought 20:17 was light ish/medium, 20:18 would be even lighter. but 20:19? isnt that the equivalent of running 22:21?

You guys sure you aint getting confused with running 22 on the front....

Edited by John planet x

I really dont understand. 20:19... i thought 20:17 was light ish/medium, 20:18 would be even lighter. but 20:19? isnt that the equivalent of running 22:21?

Yeah thats what i thought, i run 22:18, which is equal to 20:16

Does everyone run super light gearing now?

Adam

Edited by Punkrider

Yeah thats what i thought, i run 22:18, which is equal to 20:16

Does everyone run super light gearing now?

Adam

22:18 and 20:16 are nothing alike, 22:18 is far lighter.

Just so you guys can appreciate this, you've gotta work out the gear ratio (how many times you turn the wheel per full crank turn). Do this by dividing the number of teeth on the driving sprocket by the number of teeth on the cassette.

soooo 22:18 = 1.2222222...

and 20:16 = 1.25

so the wheel does 0.028888888... turns more per rotation of the cranks than in 22:18, meaning it feels "harder".

Somebody (Fatmike?) has a ratio calculator in their sig, if you can't be arsed to work it out yourself. (Y)

Joe

Just wanted to add my 2p :P

I used to run 22:14, and it felt OK. Upping and stuff was nice. However, for some reason (can't remember why...) I changed to 22:15 and everything got better. It just meant you could get more instant sorta power, so you could just sail up stuff. All good :P

But yeah, try a bit lighter... (I'm running 18:12 now with 175mm cranks, and it feels awesome. Still has power, but the longer cranks give more leverage so you can rip through it. Works out as a nice compromise.)

I'm more of a static rider and for static stuff, you don't want too heavy a gear. It's a just a different style.

I see there are some Mod and Stock riders replying to this. You CANNOT compare the ratios in the same way. Instead you have to convert to inches.

Personally, I'm not going any lower than 20:18. But at the same time, I'm not going back to 20:19 purely because getting that gusset single speed kit on involved a hammer :unsure:

I used to run 22-16 which felt awesome (only because i'd not ridden anything better before). Then i started hanging round with fat mike, steve a, matt b etc who all ran lower gearing, so i made the change to 22-18, and golly gosh did it help. My gaps on the first day of running the new ratio improved by about a foot and my bike started to feel so much more responsive. I've stuck with 22-18 ever since and don't think i'm going to be changing any time soon. (Y)