Welding An Aluminium Frame

Chris Cook

it won't last TOO long though so be warned. It will do you a while and if you're lucky it may just last and last, but normally a reweld on aluminium especially, does recrack at some point sooner rather than later....

Worth it for 10 or 15 quid though even if you only got a month out of it...

john

il side with bongo here. (Y):)

its not worth the hassle of having it welded it will break 2 as quick. trust me.

i had loads of frames welded and as such places as engineers and such forth they cannot "heat treat" the aluminium right, best thing to do is start from scratch and get a new frame. trust me, not worth wasting £20-30 on a weld job when you can just put the money towards a new frame.

Waynio.....................

if the frame is made of U6 its not even worth considering cos the material is very soft and doesnt like being re-heated. or you could ignore all the above get it welded and then snap the frame in half and keep trying to have it welded until you turn around and think "god this so isnt worth it, im wasting my money, i know what il do, il buy a new frame" :D

Yeah I bet you were expecting a big :lol: from that :P

I wouldn't trust a re-welded frame. Especially for the £15 its supposedly worth. Id feel more comfortable paying £50 for it but as waynio said that can be an eighth of the way towards a new frame

i got my crescent welded after it cracked. still going strong afaik. it IS worth paying a tenner to get a frame rewelded.. i'd rather ride a cracked and welded frame for a month for a tenner than having to wait til i have the 3-400 odd for a brand new frame, and not riding at all.. i'm sure you'll gather a tenner quicker than a month, so there is no point in throwing the frame away straight after crackage unless you have the dosh for a new frame right off really...

I got my ashton 24 welded up, cost me a tenner with mates rates kinda thing.

Made an open ended guessetm and prepped the areas of paint, but it cracked about a month later about an inch away, worth it though.

I'd say get the entire are gusseted and welded up in one go, rather than constantly getting bits tackedon here and there.

• 2 months later...