20 Inch Or 26 Inch

Jowster

Modified (20" wheels)

Pros:

Superb standover clearance

Easily manueverable in most every circumstance, especially anything rear wheel

Less expensive

Less parts to break

Nearly impossible to bend the rim of a well-built 19" rear mod wheel running enough tire pressure

Learn to sidehop up to both sides without worrying about a rear derailleur

Cons:

Some people may think it's a BMX bike

A pain to ride more than a mile or two on

May be harder to find parts for it

Harder to roll down things

Easier to go over the handlebars (but less scary when you do)

Doing wedge or wheelbase moves is less comfortable

Stock (26" wheels)

Pros:

More stable

Bigger wheels = roll everything easier

Easier to do wedge or wheelbase moves

Easier to pedal-kick on odd surfaces because of the larger diameter wheel

You can ride to your riding spot easily (if you have a seat and working gears)

Looks more like a mountain bike

People won't ask you to "grind" stuff or think you do BMX vert or street

Cons:

Bigger bike = less standover clearance = pain if you fall on the bike

Easy to hit knees on top-tube of most bikes

Less room to work with for bending down before sidehopping, bunnyhopping, etc. or when absorbing landings

More expensive because of greater frequency of breakage and more parts to break

Rear derailleurs - easy to smash into things (though most bikes have replaceable derailleur hangers that will bend before the derailleur is broken)

Wheels - 26" size = easier to get out of true or taco (20" wheels are extremely hard to ruin when built and used properly)

Chain can slip down or up a gear while you ride if your chain is too loose, or you smack your derailleur in section and break it

Heavier

check it out

i like 26'' probarly because its like a tridition. my cousin rode one, my brother rode one , my mate road one,so i got one. it doesnt matter what you get because there disadvantages and advantages on anything you buy.personally i like 26'' even Ot Pi new the score, thats why he turned back to 26'' lol.

I ride both, but I prefer Stock much more. It might be because I started on Stock,but I did learn to do all the basic moves on my Mod.

The only main con I have found with stock is that mine always seems to break, and my mod is almost bomb proof, even though it was a second hand nail. I have grown to love my Stock more, I would sleep with it, if I had a bigger bed :$

jOefish

You'll learn the basics way quicker on a 20", but I always found 'bigger' moves easier on a 26" due to the longer wheelbase (when you're on the back wheel, the front wheel on a 26" is higher off the ground than on a 20", more room to prehop/absorb landings as long as you have a small enough frame).

I owned and rode a 26" that ate parts for breakfast until I finally replaced EVERY single part with something bombproof. By the time it got stolen it was a completely different bike from what it started out as. I also owned a second hand nail of a 20" Monty X-Lite, which helped me improve my technique no end, but had various problems left over from it's previous owner (a certain rider who's gonna be 'big' soon, but who I won't mention). Everything was a LOT easier to do on that bike, especially anything involving flicking the back end around. I finally flogged that off when I got annoyed with the breakages, and built myself another 26" around a Saracen X-Ile frame (yes, that's how long ago it was), and it startled me to discover that I could still do all the stuff I could on my mod, it was just that lil' bit harder because of the extra weight. However, the drops and big hops up stuff became easier.

SO, if I were you, I'd start on a Mod (20") and move onto Stock (26") at a later date maybe. But that's just my 10p. You might wanna stick to mod, or just start on stock and graft at it until you've got everthing nailed.

The other thing to consider is cost of parts and availability. I had a nightmare trying to find replacements for my Monty and Maguras back in the day (it's probably better these days though), whereas I could walk into any local bike shop and get a replacement part for my 26". Bear in mind that the massive rear tyre of a (decent) mod will be more forgiving of bad landings than the somewhat thinner and lower wall height found on most stocks.

I hope that summed up the pros and cons reasonably. Bear in mind that my opinion is probably a little out of date because I haven't ridden for 5 years ;)

I ride a 20" as most of you guys would have known by my name, ive riden a 26" and i found it harder then a 20" it could be because im used to a 20" or either 20" is just alot easier, which it proberly is.

I haven't riden a 24" yet but i would like to give it a try, in fact i don't think ive even seen a 24" yet.

My opinions on all sizes is 20" is the best no matter what anybody says, 26" looks better i think but its definatly not the best to learn on and 24" looks kool so i want to try one sometime.

Rob. B)

I ride 26"

I have found its all the young riders or people who havnt been into trials for long are the types that go for 20"

Now this is ok if your small, but I feel most are riding 20" because they find it easier, I think thats a bad thing to do....you kinda get skill handed to you on a plate with 20". a 26" takes a little more work, but it really teaches you vital skills, its worth it in the end.

Another reason I think 26" is better is that you get MUCH more satisfaction out of it. Say you sidehop 45" on a mod and then do it on a stock, you will feel better for doing on the stock because its harder....thats just how I feel anyway.

Also, 26" is more suitable for other types of riding, dh, jumping, bmx etc, get most bang for your buck with stock (Y)

Modified (20" wheels)

Pros:

Superb standover clearance

Easily manueverable in most every circumstance, especially anything rear wheel

Less expensive

Less parts to break

Nearly impossible to bend the rim of a well-built 19" rear mod wheel running enough tire pressure

Learn to sidehop up to both sides without worrying about a rear derailleur

Cons:

Some people may think it's a BMX bike

A pain to ride more than a mile or two on

May be harder to find parts for it

Harder to roll down things

Easier to go over the handlebars (but less scary when you do)

Doing wedge or wheelbase moves is less comfortable

Stock (26" wheels)

Pros:

More stable

Bigger wheels = roll everything easier

Easier to do wedge or wheelbase moves

Easier to pedal-kick on odd surfaces because of the larger diameter wheel

You can ride to your riding spot easily (if you have a seat and working gears)

Looks more like a mountain bike

People won't ask you to "grind" stuff or think you do BMX vert or street

Cons:

Bigger bike = less standover clearance = pain if you fall on the bike

Easy to hit knees on top-tube of most bikes

Less room to work with for bending down before sidehopping, bunnyhopping, etc. or when absorbing landings

More expensive because of greater frequency of breakage and more parts to break

Rear derailleurs - easy to smash into things (though most bikes have replaceable derailleur hangers that will bend before the derailleur is broken)

Wheels - 26" size = easier to get out of true or taco (20" wheels are extremely hard to ruin when built and used properly)

Chain can slip down or up a gear while you ride if your chain is too loose, or you smack your derailleur in section and break it

Heavier

check it out

ONLY listen to this boi he has is!!