Google

PaRtZ

I run and develop my own website business and know that loads of people us a computer who are blind. That's what Alt text was invented for and should be used as a description to a picture so a blind person knows what it is about. That's why giants Google reward sites with proper alt text and not just stuffing it with "keywords".

Don't people realise that nearly everyday the Google logo changes to show the significance of the day? Also if you click on the logo it will show you what/why.

Edited by MesaMan

not at all, its first of all celebrating an amazing persons birthday. Someone who invented a way for non-sighted people to read nearly anything......

why should non-sighted people not be able to enjoy every day things like we do?

as for computers, there are many programs you can buy that do text to speech for blind people, i.e. when they hover over anything with the mouse it will tell them what is there, and the options of that item.

My father is registered blind......yet he worked as a school teacher untill he retired a few years back. He is also a 13 handicap golfer, and plays for the scottish blind golf team.

dont shrug off things like that, take time to think about it............

Typically, It's a decription of a Image or Link Value / Destination so if the link didn't load properly you could still know what it is kind of.

Or as people said, for the blind.

If you post a message and hover over the buttons like bold etc. It comes up and says 'bold'. That's the Alt text.

Has alt text got anything to do with the alt key on a keyboard?

No.

It stands for alternative text.. as has been said its so that web designers can give textual descriptions to images, so when blind people use readers for looking (EDIT: errr.. reading) (at) web pages they know what the images are about

No.

It stands for alternative text.. as has been said its so that web designers can give textual descriptions to images, so when blind people use readers for looking (EDIT: errr.. reading) (at) web pages they know what the images are about

I just thought maybe that was what you had to hold down for it to say the words for you. But thanks for clearing that up. (Y)

I wasn't trying to act 'anti-blind' if there is such a thing, and I knew at least one person would have something to say about how they know a blind person that can use a computer. Of course you do, I know of someone who is perhaps more physically disabled than anyone else ill ever see, but hes still an absolute master of cad software. If you put your mind to i'd you can accomplish anything, I was talking about most people who are blind or partially sighted.

I just thought I should clear that one up.