Rock Climbing Shoes For Trials Riding?

ding_dong

As the title says really, would rock climbing shoes be ok for riding in?

As I don't want to spend arround £70 on some trials shoes, when I can get some discounted climbing shoes for arround £20-£30 (By knowing the shop owner, and him being a good friend of my dads.)

So would these be ok? Or should i stick to my skate shoes and save up for some try-all shoes (or monty ect)

Thanks. ;)

Ding.

What the hell? I typed a pretty long reply to this and all that came through was one word? :S

Anyway i'll summarise... Rock climbing shoes have very stiff soles for poking the tip of your foot into small gaps, therefore they probably won't sit very well on flat pedals due to the concave of he pedal.

Also the rubber on climbing shoes is super soft so will get ripped to shreds on the studs of pedals.

Not a good idea my friend. Why not just wear your normal shoes?

Edited by nichols_sam

I have always wondered about rock climbing shoes, but I dont recken it will be any good....they are too stiff I recken and grip would be debatable.

Please dont get monty or tryall shoes, get some decent ones like 661 dually takis, or 5ten high shoes....they have the same super tacky soals that climbing shoes have and have 10 x better ankle support than any trials specific shoes (they look dam nice too)

Noooo, climbing shoes would be rubbish! If you'd ever worn a pair, you'd know that are waaay to stiff and uncomfortable to ride in. Plus when you bailed they would be painful because they are so stiff. Also I think pedals would rip through the rubber really easily. Ballet shoes might be worse, but apart from that I think climbing shoes would be about the worst thing you can use :)

One look at a pair of real rock climbing shoes should tell you they'd be utterly hopeless for riding bikes with:

IPB Image

All the ones I've ever used have been super flexy everywhere except the toe (which is shaped in a really weird way for poking into holes in the rock). You can't wear them for very long because they're designed to be super tight and they hold your foot in an odd shape. Basically they're just a thin layer of super tacky rubber to go around your feet; they'd get ripped to shreds by the pedals and offer no support whatsoever for pedalling etc. They also look pretty weird - more so than Monty pixie boots even.

They'd be awesome for dabbing though :-)

'Approach shoes' (ie ones you could walk to a crag with then do a bit of basic climbing) might be better, but they're usually just expensive trainers.

All the ones I've ever used have been super flexy everywhere except the toe (which is shaped in a really weird way for poking into holes in the rock)

Same here - mine you could easily bend in half if you wanted, as you say theres nothing to them except enough material to hold the rubber tight against your foot. dunno where people get the idea that theyre stiff..

Would be far too uncomfortable to wear riding, could probably feel the pins/spikes of pedals poking through them too.