Progression Of Designs And Moves ! !

MOSH

Hi all I was just wondering How much further will progression go without certain things been changed. Fo example the rear mounts on bikes was "ok" in the day but for the extra slamming the bikes get nowadays how long until they update them? I personally think this rear mount idea needs to be looked at carefully because nearlly everyone has threaded a rear mount they are just not strong enough. All that pressure on four bolts and mounts isnt strong enough. I know everyone helicoils and it does work but surely this shudnt have to be done on a brand new frame ! I think the design shoud be a bolt and nut straight through the frame at the back. Because the old magura mounts simply are not putting up the abuse of 2005-2006.

Ohh and for those who keep saying helicoiling is stronger than normal threads its NOT because the helicoil is still resting inbetween and on the new threads so No its not stronger by any means.

Cheers Josh

Also any other new frame designs coming up post then up let us all check them out ! (Y)

Hi all I was just wondering How much further will progression go without certain things been changed. Fo example the rear mounts on bikes was "ok" in the day but for the extra slamming the bikes get nowadays how long until they update them? I personally think this rear mount idea needs to be looked at carefully because nearlly everyone has threaded a rear mount they are just not strong enough. All that pressure on four bolts and mounts isnt strong enough. I know everyone helicoils and it does work but surely this shudnt have to be done on a brand new frame ! I think the design shoud be a bolt and nut straight through the frame at the back. Because the old magura mounts simply are not putting up the abuse of 2005-2006.

Ohh and for those who keep saying helicoiling is stronger than normal threads its NOT because the helicoil is still resting inbetween and on the new threads so No its not stronger by any means.

Cheers Josh

Also any other new frame designs coming up post then up let us all check them out ! (Y)

Bolts just need to be thicker and more rigid. Problem solved. But you've gotta look at it from a manufacturer's perspective - it would involve both the brake and the frame manufacturers producing (for a while at least) two versions of the same frame and brake - one with hefty bolt holes and one with the current size. It would piss a lot of current users off if the current size went out of production, and running two designs is more expensive for the factory than running one. I'm sure one day the issue will be adressed, but it won't be until more people shout about it. Compare the size of canti mounts in thickness to yer Magura bolts and you'll see what I mean - and even canti mounts flex. I remember back in the day when I got my Monty X-Lite, being amazed how much the rear mounts moved when I pulled the brake. First thing I did was go out and buy a hefty brake booster, only to be pissed off by watching the frame move after I'd fitted it. Then I noticed the same thing on my stock bike. Eventually someone will sort it out, but don't hold yer breath. Maguras seem to have gone through very few design changes in the past 7 or 8 years - as far as they are concerned they have a product that works and sells well - they're thinking 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Maybe it'll take someone bringing out a better component to get them off their asses. Perhaps if everyone switches to discs...

We'll see.

Sorry to piss on your fire but helicoiling IS stronger than being threaded straight into ally because the bolt (the moving part) is not coming into contact with the ally directly, instead you've got a stationary steel insert for the bolt to go into. Helicoiling is used widely in engineering to put decent threads in ally components, there's a youth in another post that works for an aerospace engineering firm and they use helicoils in ally parts so they must be good...

about making change to bike manufacturers, look at the bmx market, bottom brackets

there are so many available, the original bmx bottom bracket doesn really exist much anymore, they changed to 'euro bb' same standard size we have on mountain bikes, so frame were being produced by the two's, of of each kind.

then, flybikes came out with the spanish bb, baisically euro, but no treads, just push in beaings, then theres the mid bb, different size bearings, the spansh bb bearings seemed to wear out too quickly, there are still several other types off bmx bb, profile is makin there own design, and there's also a thing called yorkshire bb,

bmx companies have changed there frames and stuff soo much, and its all been in the past cuple of years too, it would be possible for mountain bike companies to change the design of things like the canti-pivots we have,

but whats the point really? they seem to work fine, as long as you look after your bike, fix it properly there should be no problem

was a good idea though (Y)

luis