Whats Your First Impression

Rob_P

LOL no Mark it's not a field, it was out the back of MFI :lol: that strange concrete.

Anyway thanks for all the replies guys, heres the original. Well not quite the original, obviously it's been converted to B+W, top and bottom cropped a bit etc.

IPB Image

Now what do you think? Better as it was or not?

The flash you see at the side is my flashgun set up as a slave unit, triggered by my on camera flash.

Heres some more......

IPB Image

IPB Image

(Y)

Now what do you think? lol at the guy who said football stadium lights :lol:

Cheers for that Mark, you bellend

Edited by Rob P

As a personal preference, i dislike the lens flare, as to me it smacks of imperfection, and as Mark says, draws the eye away from the rider. Also to me, an important aspect of a photograph is depth, although you have intentionally removed it - for abstract purposes i presume. I think that the third photograph posted on this page is the most pleasing, as it seems well balanced, isolates the rider in terms of focus, but still allows for some depth as the floor and shadow remain in tact.

Love IT!! (Y)

few commments...

- crop it, or take it closer, and avoid putting the flash / light in the picture itsself maybe

- in terms of how much light there is, i think you've found the perfect balance! anymore and you'll burn bits out, and loose details, any less and it could be too hard to identify

- in terms of composition, this particluar pic works well with both the biker and light in the pic, but if you do take out the light in future, i feel there should be something else in there too... a wall, curb, post box whatever, because you dont want 100% of the attention on the rider alone. (hence this one working well with the light) - (im also going against what i sed above:P) if that makes sense!? ha

- B+W works well here.... have you got a colour version? curious to see it....

i suppose the rest is down to experimenting.... what if the light was lower? you'd get more facial detail, so i dunno if that would work out better / worse?

quesion though - how did u take the photo with such a high enough shutter (to freeze the moment), with so little light and it come out ok??? was there any editing involved? might just be me sounding stupid :ermm:

(Y)

andy

To me it looks like he's got his front wheel on a high curb and then that's all been photoshopped etc out. Not a bad pic if you're trying to be arty but I've seen and done better that encompasses trials.

This says nothing about the bike, the rider or the sport.

Keep it up though!

(Y)

Pointless and gay,

Good picture yer but it doesnt show nothing to do with trials at all its a guy on a bike in the dark look at buckys pic when doing the bunny hop gap the expression the crowd everything about the photo says trials everythign about that photo says Trying to hard and Arty farty.

1. crop it, or take it closer, and avoid putting the flash / light in the picture itsself maybe

2. in terms of composition, this particluar pic works well with both the biker and light in the pic, but if you do take out the light in future, i feel there should be something else in there too... a wall, curb, post box whatever, because you dont want 100% of the attention on the rider alone

3. B+W works well here.... have you got a colour version? curious to see it....

4. quesion though - how did u take the photo with such a high enough shutter (to freeze the moment), with so little light and it come out ok??? was there any editing involved? might just be me sounding stupid :ermm:

Thanks,

1. Someone else said that, take the flash out.....but why? Surly if I did that then people would say oo wheres the light source coming from!? I think it should definatley be in there to be honest.

2. Why on earth would you want to put a kerb/wall/post box in there? That would look completly wrong and not work well with the overall compoition at all! The idea is to isolate him, if I tried this idea in the middle of town, it would be too cluttered, I dunno maybe i'll try it!

Why dont you want 100% attention on the rider? Like Chris said to me, people think there HAS to be a take off, landing etc in a photograph. Thats pretty much the norm isnt it? Borriiinngggg

3. I do have the colour version, it's just more blue, the flash etc. No real bright colours but I will post it later.

4. This photo was taken at about 1/250 I THINK. I tried a few with the flash fully in the photo at the side but for some reason it didnt look powerful enough. So I found that if I had half in half out then it worked much better, giving a little lens flare too. No there was no editing involved apart from cropped black space off the top and ground off the bottom, levels, converted to B+W. No huge changes at all, the rider and flash are exactly as you see. I didnt add the flash in PS or any shit like that.

1. To me it looks like he's got his front wheel on a high curb and then that's all been photoshopped etc out.

2.Not a bad pic if you're trying to be arty but I've seen and done better that encompasses trials.

1.HAHAHA FFS IT'S NOT PHOTOSHOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ, it was at the back of MFI, you know a big flat concrete place with a few pallets. No kerbs/walls/ or anything around at all. Just Steve and I with cam stuff.

2. You've seen better what? Trials photos? But this isnt really trying to present/promote trials is it? Trials involves "hoping" on walls etc etc. Cant say there are any walls in this. Yes I was trying to be "arty" and original at the same time, i've never seen something like this before, have you? If so i'd like to see it....

1. Pointless and gay,

2. Good picture yer but it doesnt show nothing to do with trials at all its a guy on a bike in the dark look at buckys pic when doing the bunny hop gap the expression the crowd everything about the photo says trials everythign about that photo says Trying to hard and Arty farty.

1. Maybe you and your comments are pointless and "gay" I dunno...

2. Like I said above, who says it's trying to show what trials is? Yeh that photo of Buck is good but how many times has it been done before? Myself included but this is something different which is the idea...

Reminds me of a Nike football advert :S

Nice pic though :):P

Really cool!

Thank you very much dude, someone else said that too. lol (Y)

Cheers for all of the comments

Rob :):)

There is definitely something very unbalanced about that picture. Rule of thirds out the window, it looks wrong. But I think that's the beauty, it's almost confusing in that it looks wrong. Anyway, I like it :)

Tomm,

I think this is one of the few posts I agree with. The rider could be slightly more to the right, but only a bit. Otherwise the sheer simplicity of it makes it really striking.

Oh, and don't put too much stock in the rule of thirds, it's naffed up a fair few of my images in the past! >_<

Oh, and don't put too much stock in the rule of thirds, it's naffed up a fair few of my images in the past! >_<

That's probably true, but then again you're a pretty experienced photographer and your composition is probably pretty good without resorting to guides. But I think the rule of thirds is useful, as least when you're starting out. But yeah, it's a guide not a rule :)

Pointless and gay,

Good picture yer but it doesnt show nothing to do with trials at all its a guy on a bike in the dark look at buckys pic when doing the bunny hop gap the expression the crowd everything about the photo says trials everythign about that photo says Trying to hard and Arty farty.

Ever thought that this might not soo much be a trials photo if you know what i mean? Well not with trials in mind anyway?

Maybe its supposed to be an arty photo for an arty photography website? ;)

Max

That's probably true, but then again you're a pretty experienced photographer and your composition is probably pretty good without resorting to guides. But I think the rule of thirds is useful, as least when you're starting out. But yeah, it's a guide not a rule :)

Yer, i agree with you, they say use it when your starting, then when you get more experienced break rules. To get better more individual photos etc. Yer i like the photo, i would have the flash at the bottom left of the photo, but then i suppose it wouldn't be original. i suppose that would defeat the object of what you were trying to achieve really, but i do like what you've done, looks good.

off topic- Ps was that the Sb600 Rob? i still haven't got the guts to spend more than £5 on anything yet, haha.