Fresh Products Tensioner

flipkickbs

I've recently got a fresh products tensioner and it will not tension my chain :( . My chain is either left too loose, or wont even reach together. To fix this i have tryed changing my ration from 22-18 to 22-19 and still had the exact same problem, I have now changed to 20-17 costing me loads of cash for a 20t chainring :angry: and it just about tensions but works loose after a minute or so.

I ride a 2004 echo control and have a kmc kool bmx chain.

Would a new chain help this? or is it just completely chance as to whether it will work or not?

thanks, one very annoyed Ian

Your best bet would be to use an old mech as a tensioner, I think they work alot better as they tension the chain all the time, with ones like the fresh products and dmr simple tension seeker they only hold the chain down or up. When I used the dmr tensioner I found it moved all the time aswell making it hard to have good tension all the time, then I changed it to a mech and had no more problems. If your using a mech and are worried about your mech hanger then you need to get yourself a hanger banger.

IPB Image

One of those ^^

Your best bet would be to use an old mech as a tensioner, I think they work alot better as they tension the chain all the time, with ones like the fresh products and dmr simple tension seeker they only hold the chain down or up. When I used the dmr tensioner I found it moved all the time aswell making it hard to have good tension all the time, then I changed it to a mech and had no more problems. If your using a mech and are worried about your mech hanger then you need to get yourself a hanger banger.

Even with one of those 'hanger banger' things i would still break my mech landing on it, The whole idea of the fresh tensioner is to be able to get away with landing on it with no damage. Cheers for the help but i just want to sort out being able to run the fresh tensioner (Y)

i cant understand the problem you are having ian...

is your chain to long or what? i have had loads of different chains, and different gearing and i just havent had a problem with getting it right.

i never had to mess about with it either, unless i hit it.

My chain is just perfectly the wrong length no matter what gearing i've tryed, Its either way too loose, or wont even reach to fit the links together. Its more frustrating that connect 4.

Edited by flipkickbs

i cant understand the problem you are having ian...

is your chain to long or what? i have had loads of different chains, and different gearing and i just havent had a problem with getting it right.

i never had to mess about with it either, unless i hit it.

yeah same here. i dont understand where the problem is. especially on a stock bike.

As long as you consider both up and down tensioning, then you should be able to find a short chain length which allows the tensioner to tuck up close to the chainstays out of the way. Even if you loose some tension from a knock, the tensioner should do enough to guide the chain and so do the important job of stopping it from coming off unexpectedly.

Steve

With my control I was running 20 - 16 with no tensioner at all, chainlength was perfect.

I am bit confused the way that with the variations in setups you have tried and with both up and down tensioning you havent been able to find good tension.

Chat to me on msn about it anyway.