Tapping Should I Go Faster

Ben Geary

speed was ok, but your technique needs work.

They way you did it then is kinda the old skool way of doing it, with just a left right pedal motion.

You also stopped pedaling a long way from the wall and kinda manualed into it.

Also you hit it pretty high and didnt crouch or jump at all (your body just stayed in the same place through the move, thats why you ended up with your ass on yur tyre when you landed)

Try and do it this way......get a full pedal revoloution in there (left, right, left!), leave it a bit later before you pedal at it, so your just finnished pedaling (or still pedaling a little) when your front wheel hits.

Aim the front wheel lower and really plow into it, this will get you more hight with less effort. (dont forget to crouch as you get near the wall and jump up just as you hit it)

A good tip I recken is to not put your back brake on straight away, let the rear wheen roll up the wall a little bit, it really helps you just fly up them, trust me.

give it a try (Y)

u would be surprised at how high you can go with low speed,

like 1meter run up.. as long as you hit low,,

hitting the front wheel lower means that you a more likly to go over the bars,

this is good because it hardly ever causes you to go over the bars it just means you weight is more central on the bike when your up the wall. so you get up rather than landing on it then falling backward,that usually means your not hitting low enough..

but having said that,, if i wanna go big, i go pretty fast and start pedaling with my front foot. 1 revolution and up u go kinda thing..

iolo.

u would be surprised at how high you can go with low speed,

like 1meter run up.. as long as you hit low,,

hitting the front wheel lower means that you a more likly to go over the bars,

this is good because it hardly ever causes you to go over the bars it just means you weight is more central on the bike when your up the wall. so you get up rather than landing on it then falling backward,that usually means your not hitting low enough..

but having said that,, if i wanna go big, i go pretty fast and start pedaling with my front foot. 1 revolution and up u go kinda thing..

iolo.

hehe I only tried that about 3 times and it does get you up but i find it scary lol ^_^

speed was ok, but your technique needs work.

They way you did it then is kinda the old skool way of doing it, with just a left right pedal motion.

You also stopped pedaling a long way from the wall and kinda manualed into it.

Also you hit it pretty high and didnt crouch or jump at all (your body just stayed in the same place through the move, thats why you ended up with your ass on yur tyre when you landed)

Try and do it this way......get a full pedal revoloution in there (left, right, left!), leave it a bit later before you pedal at it, so your just finnished pedaling (or still pedaling a little) when your front wheel hits.

Aim the front wheel lower and really plow into it, this will get you more hight with less effort. (dont forget to crouch as you get near the wall and jump up just as you hit it)

A good tip I recken is to not put your back brake on straight away, let the rear wheen roll up the wall a little bit, it really helps you just fly up them, trust me.

give it a try (Y)

Good advice Ali (Y) . Every think you say is spot on. Except I wouldn't advise him to aim the front wheel lower. All that would do is snap his forks and stop him dead. Every time we tap, the bike is at the same angle regardless of what hight the wall is. Its the angle that gives best bounce to forward ratio. Imagine wedging your bike between the floor and the wall ( front wheel against wall, rear wheel on floor). If the front wheel is to high up the wall then the bike will just tilt back until the rear wheel touches the wall too. If the front wheel is too low then the bike will just crash rather that go up. Thats why steep head angles are no good for taps, cos the frame wont wedge the force into the back wheel as well.

So keep the angle of the bike the same, but do as Ali says with the pedals (good foot, bad foot, good foot). Then when you get better, try lifting the front wheel with you bad foot. This gives you more momentum and raises your body higher much earlier in the move.

When you have sussed out when to start pedaling so that your good foot just about gets forward as your front wheel touches the wall, then you want to start learning to start off with your bad foot for the bigger taps. (Bad, good, bad then good as your front wheel touches)

the 1st one was alrite, 2nd 1 was a bit slow lol

HAHHAHAAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHHHaaARR :lol:

Also to answer your question 'should I go faster?'

I think you should just consentrate ont he pedal turns and jumping your body high.

adam,

P.s it would be cool to see a vid of your progression in a few months or so :)

It looks like your doing it fine from the clip. Your speed is just about right, when I tap I tend to use as little run up as possible, for some reason I feel more confident this way and it helps encourage better technique, incase your ever in a position where you need to tap without much run up. Only on taps that are 45"+ I use more run up for, and even then I dont go any faster than you were in that clip as I dont want to fly over the bars. :-

Basically mate yes, except if your name is devil

the tap looked definetly weird and wrong to me....

You need to start a slow jogging pace

Then, load your pedal (good foot!!!!) and then power down half a pedal stroke

start the wheelie with the next half a pedal stoke

tap the wall, hop into the bars with your hips, kick hard with your good foot NO FRONT BRAKE

entend vertically and then absorb and flex on the landing

get right over the back tyre

then hop away

now go practice

Steve ;)

Edited by STEVE-0