Clicking Noise

ogre

My bolts are tight (the bike guy made a deal about it) do you have to always tighten them or is it when they're new? might be my bb but i'd doupt it cos i've only bin at trials 2 n a bit months and i'm not exactly going huge.

My Square taper cranks always work loose. Every few rides I have to pop an allen key into them and stand on it to tighten it up. You'll NEVER manage to turn a allen key by hand enough to make them fully tight, unless your hercules, which i'm not :D

Anyway the gist of it, is I can always tell when they need tightening cause they get noisey. Regular clicking noises are more likely to come from chain and gears though.

Take you cranks of put some grease around the bb and were the crank fits in to the bb, Also put a light bit of grease on the bolt threads then put the bolts back on and it shouldn't make a noise.

If it carrys on making noises check your frame over for cracks.

My Square taper cranks always work loose. Every few rides I have to pop an allen key into them and stand on it to tighten it up. You'll NEVER manage to turn a allen key by hand enough to make them fully tight, unless your hercules, which i'm not :D

Anyway the gist of it, is I can always tell when they need tightening cause they get noisey. Regular clicking noises are more likely to come from chain and gears though.

Mine are like this.

I end up using PTFE tape on my crank bolts, to try to keep them tight, and using a bedding compound on the inside of the taper to try to take out some of the play.

It works for a bit, and then they start clicking again ... and everything gets stripped down and cleaned up, and off we go agian. I guess I should get new cranks really.

Front Free wheel? It's a, well i don't know actaually i thougth a freewheel was the beefy little gear type thing on the back? i dont have a clue, It's the recent t-bird so ummmm *meep*

Probably BB. And for those of you who keep having to tighten yer cranks, have you ever considered that you may be OVER tightening them? (yes, it is possible!) I used to stand on the allen key to do it up tight enough, until I discovered that by doing so I was forcing the soft ali of the crank further up the taper of the BB, and as a result it was never gonna be tight and was just damaging the crank. So, I bought a new set of cranks and a new BB, did it just tight enough (but not forced on), and in 2 years never had to retighten. Maybe bike parts have moved on nowadays, but that's experience from way back when talking. Also, threadlock helps on the bolts, and a decent pair of cranks is always good.

The other thing that's possible is that there may be a problem with a tooth on yer freewheel/front chainring that may be click on the chain as it picks up.

Just some ideas.