Tendonitis

matheprat

At the end of the summer my wrist started hurting while I rode, and the doctor said I had tendonitis, and should rest it for a bit. So I did that, and it didn't seem to help much. I went back to riding a few weeks later, and after another few weeks it seemed to clear up alright. Then a month or so before xmas it started hurting again, and now it's pretty bad, hurts to type/use the mouse for more than a few minutes.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this? How did you treat it? What did you do to stop it hurting? I don't want to have to stop riding, but at the same time I don't want it to just get worse and worse.

Any help?

Cheers, Mat

I've had problems just like this before. Repetitive strain injury.... also known as upper limb disorder. It has so many causes I'm not sure how to help.

It could be your tendons not being properly stretched and being held in the same position for a long time (holding a mouse, and typing at a keyboard, driving a car). Possible causes for this would be a lack of complete movement and stretching in your arms. It could also be caused by poor exercise, allowing your muscles to grow out of proportion to your tendons growth.

On the worst scale of the problem, it could be your tendon sheaths in your wrist. If these have dried out you'll have the tendon rubbing... very painful... all the time pain, regardless of how you hold your hand.

My doctor gave me Horse strength anti-imflammatorys (very strong Ibu-profen to you and I). It was also recommended that I had some cod liver oil tablets and to stretch my wrists. Try pulling your hand back against your forearm, while your arm is around your waist area, or pushing both hands together (like praying) but with a little more force, and raising your elbows a bit.

I'd strongly recommend seeing a doctor again. If you have carpel tunnel syndrome, you will need medical treatment.

I had this before and I never really rest my wrist. I just kept riding and that it did hurt very badly but I just put up with the pain, and once it was hurting me really bad when I was on a Sheff ride couldn't lift my bike or anything but after a while and that it stop hurting and now am fine.

Asking predominantly kids and non medical people advice on the forum is a bad idea.

You may as well buy a Readers Digest medical encyclopedia and diagnose yourself hypercondriac style.

Although I did suffer sore wrists and elbows and found stretching loads helps.

There's loads of topics like this, try a search.

Asking predominantly kids and non medical people advice on the forum is a bad idea.

You may as well buy a Readers Digest medical encyclopedia and diagnose yourself hypercondriac style.

Thanks for the replies. I did search before posting, and "tendonitis" revealed 2 threads, both of which I read and didn't find particularly helpful...

I wasn't intending to base me entire knowledge on people's responses to my post, but it's certainly usefull, as my doctor probably doesn't know what trials is.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm going to see my doctor as soon as I can make an appointment. I'm not in huge amounts of pain at all, it's just more of a nagging type pain, rather than a sharp pain.

Cheers, Mat

funny what you said about the doctor probably not knowing what trials is. my doctor knows exactly what it is and he kept telling me i shouldnt do it, its bad for my body, if you do everything the doctor says you would have no fun. anyway about the wrist. when i rode i had to wear a wrist support as i broke my wrist and it couldnt take much pressure on it (this is after it had healed by the way) anyway i think its about 2 years or so since i broke it and even now i still get pains in it and can be really uncomfortable, but i did find that the wrist support did help with the pain whilst riding.

I had to go see my doctor obout this recently,

I would recomend you do the same however I belief he will recommend that you,

take anti inflamitries , strap up and rest the wrist for a number of weeks.

best to take time off now and sort it properly than to have it stop you riding / seroius injury later in the year.

hope that helps!

I had to go see my doctor obout this recently,

I would recomend you do the same however I belief he will recommend that you,

take anti inflamitries , strap up and rest the wrist for a number of weeks.

best to take time off now and sort it properly than to have it stop you riding / seroius injury later in the year.

hope that helps!

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I just hope it does heal though, eventually.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really helpfull!

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I just hope it does heal though, eventually.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really helpfull!

yup -rest is good , ive never bothered much with anti inflammatories but i'm hard i am. :ermm:

I've had some nasty rsi several times - proper swelling and everything, that was all computer related. Anything i've had from the bike has been fairly minor and more to do with having my brakes setup so they lock too far from the bars than anything else.

If you reckon it might be computer related there's a few things you can do to reduce it...

Mousing from the elbow rather than your wrist - ie. put your elbow on the desk and move your whole forearm rather than just your wrist.

Getting a low profile keyboard helps too- one that looks like a laptop keyboard, its a lot easier to slide your hands around over the top of them so you aren't stretching as much or twisting your wrist to reach keys (speeds up the ol touch typing as well)

Anything i've had from the bike has been fairly minor and more to do with having my brakes setup so they lock too far from the bars than anything else.

Interesting you say that. I was thinking that it might be something to do with the fact that for some reason I always seem to be pulling really hard on my front brake when I ride (the pain is in my right wrist). I did think about possibly chainging the setup, or using 2 fingers or something.

I'll try your elbow mousing method, cheers.

Tom, I'll talk to the doctor about physio and see what he says, I thought it might be worth looking into.

Cheers, Mat

Oh this sounds so familiar :) I've been in agony for the past couple of days because I've just started doing trials after 5 years of not...and as a result for the past 2 days my back, inner elbows, and even my arse (god knows why) have been aching BADLY (no jokes, please...). OK, so that's a bit different to what you've got, but I'm gonna use it to illustrate a point: the human body is capapble of just about anything...but you have to give it time to work up to it. You have to get the body used to doing it. SO, warmups/warmdowns, dude :) Stretch before and after you ride - most professional athletes do it, why shouldn't we? Think about it, if you spend a whole day hefting your bike over rocks/palettes/whatever, you're probably putting more strain on your muscles than certain forms of athletics do, yet athletes (even recreational athletes) do the whole warm-up/down thing.

I've just made the mistake of not doing warmups after ages without riding, and I ain't gonna do it again. OK, if you ride every day of your life, then your body will get used to it and you might not need to do warmups, but if you ride maybe once a week or less and do BIG moves when you do, your body will complain. I see it so often with the drummer in my band - if we have no rehearsals for weeks, he's in shit state by the time he leaves and as a result has various back/neck complaints nowadays, let alone the problems with his wrists (the source of much amusement, of course... :D ). Maybe I'm just aimlessly ranting on, here...feel free to ignore me if this doesn't apply to your situation :) It's just something to think about.

Even when playing guitar, I spend half an hour playing 'easy' stuff before I attack my band's songs just to get the muscles back into the swing of things - and with some of the stuff we play I'm amazed I ain't got RSI in my right arm yet :)

• 4 months later...

Bump, it was this, or one in NMC.....

At present, i am typing with my left hand as my right wrist is strapped up.

Yesterday, after a night on the white russians, i went riding feeling like shit, and sketchy as fook. Wasn't getting anything at all, worst day's riding since i've started back. Just after riding, while cooling down, my wrist got more painful by the minute, to the point where i was having trouble lifting my bike with the one hand. Woke this morning, and it's still fuct.

I was going to ask if anyone had had similar problems, but ive just convinced myself it's broken, so im going to hospital tomorrow.

f**k sake.

I've had this a few times from a combination of trials & daily use of Photoshop/illustrator..

Usually I get the masseuse who comes into work to take a look at it - The problem is usually overuse/overworking of the tendons in the forearm (although the problem seems like it's in your wrist..mine usaually burn like crazy) . There are many parts of the body, especially in my back between the deeper layers of muscle, that are surprisingly tender....but the discomfort is usually one of relief when she massages them (sometimes using even her elbows to massage depper tissue) - however, when it comes to my forearms, I usually sound like I have Terret's Syndrome as it's excruciatingly painful..”holy f*ck, you b*stard...”

As trials riders, your forearms are probably going to be proportionally overdeveloped compared to the rest of your body - as with mine. Icing your forearms once or twice a day when you have this problem helps reduce the inflammation providing you rest (i.e. no trials for a couple of weeks)

Derv

I've had this a few times from a combination of trials & daily use of Photoshop/illustrator..

Usually I get the masseuse who comes into work to take a look at it - The problem is usually overuse/overworking of the forearm. There are many parts of the body, especially in my back between the deeper layers of muscle, that are surprisingly tender....but the discomfort is usually one of relief when she massages them (sometimes with her elbows) - however, when it comes to my arms, I usually sound like I have Terret's Syndrome as it's excruciating..”holy f*ck, you b*stard...”

Icing your forearms once or twice a day also helps reduce the inflammation providing you rest (i.e. no trials for a week or two)

Derv

yeh i went to the hospital today, it was actually a trials riders mum who seen me which saved the hassle explaining what trials is!

She said it was muscular and to rest, and a bit of anti imflamatory gel would help.....

but christ, when I try to twist my wrist it's agony........

lmao

contradiction?

anyways, a mate of mine had this, he just had to rest lots i think.

just take it easy and drink lots of water!!! water sorts lots of stuff out :) flushes body of toxins n shizz