Break Reliance

Dr Greenthumb

Hey all

Last week i bought some coust pads to experiment with better braking performance and it made me realise about how people rely solely on their brakes to hold them. For example years a go in trials, riders had a clean rim with standard pads but still managed to acheive amazing things and participate fine in competitions. So i was wondering how riders from the present day would suffer without their regular breaking power? Do you think that brakes have evolved so much so they can keep up with the constant demand for new moves in trials?

Just like to know your opinions on it all, cheers dan

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

I think it is what you are use to. For example if you have only had v brakes on

the worst rims possible your not going to miss anything, i started on a Da bomb

& learnt loads. Then it was hs33's now it's Hope disk's.

Obviously if i went back to my old v brakes i would end up on my arse. :S

I would agree that with new designs & performance in braking Trials can only

get better. (Y)

Most of the bike parts have evolved with technology rather than the demand due to more extreme stunts. for example, frames have become lighter and stronger due to the mixture of metals. Like wise pads have become more powerful due to the fibres and mixtures of rubbers etc.

These more powerful brakes, and ligher frames have just allowed us to do more extreme stunts, the evolution of bike parts has made stunts more extreme not the other way round.

Mike!!!

Trials has evolved.

Frame got longer and lost seats, back in the day seated and short.

Disc and mags are now all the way but it use to be cantis and V if you were rich

As has been said newer moves were brough in the more stress there were out on the bikes and in part the brakes. Higher gripping stuff was needed. grind give rims a high friction coating with a soft or hard compoun to grip.

I've used all the pads out there and don;t like or trust them hense making my own which i trust as can be seen by my rididng style now

Thats wrong. Cheap stuff is usally bad material on cheap v's there competly resin now, if not very thin aluminim or steal skeltion with resin. This resin being injection molded plastic crap that sanps without warning.

Think why motor bike went from cable clutch to hydrical, the power of the engine putting out the cable can;t hold or control the clutch, hydrical is light and easy to use and give amazing grip and power control.

Don't say your maggy dont, it's your fault as it's f**ked or not setup right

Bigger move, require more poower to do them in turn you need more power to stop you, hense a magura and the need for these pads that grip with easy and the grind giving high friction coating.

In my opinion people rely too much on their back brake, if you learn to ride without brakes you will be so much smoother and so much more controlled than before as there is NO room for error, when i first started my brake split and it took about a month before i got it sorted, during this month i could kickhop, sidehop gap etc. just aswell as i could before and it made me a lot more controlled because of it, i knew where my centre of balance point was and i knew what positions my body had to be in to keep it there obviously a brake helps but it it should only be used as a confidence booster and not heavily relied upon.

If you ask most riders today to da five kickhop's brakeless they would fall flat on their ass..........

As has been said newer moves were brough in the more stress there were out on the bikes and in part the brakes. Higher gripping stuff was needed. grind give rims a high friction coating with a soft or hard compoun to grip.

Strength of brakes has increased, but not becuase the riding is getting better. The reason brake strenght has gotten better is becuase it just has.

No one at one point thought these koolstops just arn't doing it, i'll make my own pads.

They though, these koolstops are great, but i think your could get even more power out of them.

When you go from some shitty v's to maguras with standard blacks on. The power difference is amazing! And then you get used to it. I don't think your riding improves when your brakes become more powerful, you just get used to how they are.

In my opinion people rely too much on their back brake, if you learn to ride without brakes you will be so much smoother and so much more controlled than before as there is NO room for error, when i first started my brake split and it took about a month before i got it sorted, during this month i could kickhop, sidehop gap etc. just aswell as i could before and it made me a lot more controlled because of it, i knew where my centre of balance point was and i knew what positions my body had to be in to keep it there obviously a brake helps but it it should only be used as a confidence booster and not heavily relied upon.

If you ask most riders today to da five kickhop's brakeless they would fall flat on their ass..........

i did seven forward hops brakeless. 8th one i fell off lol.

when i bought my first trials bike it came with rubbish breaks standard no name 'v's with stubby little pads but i found simple things like whipping your rains down after a wet ride or just every now and then as part of maintenance would keep them working perfectly for the main part. i think the improvement in breaking equipment is simply taking the effort out of having relyable breaks. i have been out in the rain riding trials on my new bike with hs33's and a pair of zoo pads and the wheel hasn't budged at all (when i applied the brakes that is :D ) its human nature to strive for efficiancy.

Yes the breaks have definetly evolved but it means nothing my friend rob has a v break and an hs11 and he land all of his tricks with style of course i love the hs33s :P i have the limited editin gold levers hs33s :P

wez :D

Dude gonna sk you both Rob and you to stop bitching about one anthour on er.

Most today still run a V on the front, light weight, does the job very well, end of.

HS11 is only the leaver and does the job too, feel aint amazing but it works. Rob also has KOxx blocks mate on a grind, yeah the grind is dead and need my handy work on it which is happning. Howwever yet to see Rob pull any tricks, yet to see him loung, hop so how can he drop!!!

The gold HS33 you can buy now full stop as just the blade, full leaver or spear body. See a good monty deler for it

Pete

If you land something huge all perfect and smooth then cheapo V's on a smooth rim will hold you fine.

It's the dodgier moments that have brought about the need for maggies, grinding and better pads.

most people don't know shit - maggies have been around longer than vee brakes and a well set up vee will provide as much braking power as a maggie.

And whoever said about a running a vee on a ceramic rim, thats a great brake set up. (Y)

but yeah sometime riders use there brake too much.

Edited by leedstrials