Do People Ever Do Natural?

DeeZee

I was looking at some fella's post (sorry I can't remember who by) with regards to the kind of riding people like to see in videos. You hardley ever see anyone linking a few moves together over a couple of obstacles (what I consider trials riding).

Videos are all the same kinda, 1 scene, 1 obstacle... next scene, but I think thats urban riding for you. So how come I never see anyone doing vids of natural riding? Do people ride natural? and if so, why are there no good vids?

I'm just getting tired of seeing the same variation of sidehops onto pallets and pedal kicks off railings.

Was my topic so I deserve first post :Plol

I believe that it all depends on where people live. I currently ride 80% natural 20% street because I have 3 miles of sea defence, just over the road. Whereas people in hugely urban areas find it really dificult to go anywhere near natural terrain.

I find natural great because as you said, its an endurance thing more than a sudden burst. The only drawback I've found is that I really limit myself on the rocks because normal things (ie 3-4ft drop) scare the sh!t out of me :S

As for the no vids thing, there are great videos, but its much easier to edit and create gob-smacking street vids than long natural ones. As it happens Im planning a natural video next, so Ill PM you when its done and Ill show you what I mean.

Ive got a few big moves so far, craig D sidehopping on a stupid angle, large gaps etc. but its still tricky

Anyway im done...

Edited by PaRtZ

Nice topic, Raises awareness of natty riding (which i absoultely detest) :P

I think the majority of vids tend to be of the street variety 'cos streets everywhere! I think there are quite a few natty vids, I.E Johan Brundin,Peter Backgren, Theres alot of natty in sweden obviously.

I also think that natural can be quite boring in a video, With street there's always more of a danger factor that makes the riding so much more favourable over natty riding.

I've just been out today with the lads from MerseyTrials. On the rocks at the New Brighton sea front. I just couldn't help thinking how much more impressive and technical it is, to link a dozen moves, over a dozen rocks. Looks thousands of times better than urban vids.

Like you said, its a proper endurance thing picking a line out across some rocks. A real challenge to a riders ability, not just to do one or two tricks, but to actually link all the moves together, for more than 10 secs.

I was looking at some fella's post (sorry I can't remember who by) with regards to the kind of riding people like to see in videos. You hardley ever see anyone linking a few moves together over a couple of obstacles (what I consider trials riding).

Videos are all the same kinda, 1 scene, 1 obstacle... next scene, but I think thats urban riding for you. So how come I never see anyone doing vids of natural riding? Do people ride natural? and if so, why are there no good vids?

I'm just getting tired of seeing the same variation of sidehops onto pallets and pedal kicks off railings.

Watch Chris Walkers natural vids (Y)

I ride urban because its what i like. And so do many other people, and they show that in their vids.

If your getting bored of watching these vids, then watch bmxing, or John Shwersbury(sp)

I love riding natural when i can, however due to living in south/central London it is VERY difficult to find any,the best natural within two hours from me is battersea rocks which isn't even ''real'' natural it's a manmade ''rock'' waterfall typr thing with no water in it.

'tis tres amusant though (Y)

Thing with natural is you can never tell how tech a line is from the video screen. Its always looks alot harder when your there. Thats why natural vids can sometimes look boring. People take there time in natural vids because it is so technical, and when you cant see why they are being so slow it can get boring.

But there are loads of great natural vids about. Stan makes quite a few and if you want to see some good natural riding try getting hold of good comp footage, like uci stuff and nationals and world rounds.

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Jan 8 2006, 05:17 PM)

Nice topic, Raises awareness of natty riding (which i absoultely detest) :P

I think the majority of vids tend to be of the street variety 'cos streets everywhere! I think there are quite a few natty vids, I.E Johan Brundin,Peter Backgren, Theres alot of natty in sweden obviously.

I also think that natural can be quite boring in a video, With street there's always more of a danger factor that makes the riding so much more favourable over natty riding.

bit of a vague statement really :S For one it completely depends on the size and scale of the riding, but in my opinion natural is far more dangerous as its not all straight edge to straight edge (on the whole i would say street is). It doesn't have to be a massive drop gap to be dangerous even if it looks scary, its far more easy to injure yourself trying some uber tech turning gap on spikey rocks, or navigating a real slippery section than doing massive dropgaps/sidehops where the only real area of error would be due to bike failure (eg snapped chain).

Well i have never really tryed natural im 100% street. (Y)

I want to ride a bit of natural, the fact that you get everywhere by trials makes it sound amazing and looks good on video, but doesn't it get lonly out there in the wild?

Personally i prefer an audience, had some people watching us all yesterday thinking we were all pros or something haha, thanks to alex, tom, pete, gary, keiran and all the others that were there, it was a great ride. (Y)

Rob. B)

Thing with natural is you can never tell how tech a line is from the video screen. Its always looks alot harder when your there. Thats why natural vids can sometimes look boring. People take there time in natural vids because it is so technical, and when you cant see why they are being so slow it can get boring.

But there are loads of great natural vids about. Stan makes quite a few and if you want to see some good natural riding try getting hold of good comp footage, like uci stuff and nationals and world rounds.

There is no other reason then this.

Natural is f**king hard to film, and to get it look good on screen, without loosing people's interest after seconds.

In street, a move is done within 5 seconds. They are on the backwheel, pre-load, kick land, and you are onto the next move, but with natural, you have lots of setup, lots of corrections, and generally boring stuff to watch, on video anyway.

However, if you get a natural ride organised, you are more then likely going to have just as much fun if you were riding street, but transferring that to video is super, super hard.

but doesn't it get lonly out there in the wild?

lol :P natural doesn't mean the serengetti jungle! :lol:

only jkin...

It depends again, you can ride with people you know and its quite chilled. Plus depedning on what sort of person you are, you might find natural more peaceful, relaxing and therefore easier to ride in than the busy pavements of a main road in a big city

I am also about 80% natural and 20% street, but I am lucky and live local to lots of great rocky areas.

Street is too repetative, a 45" high wall is much the same as any other 45" high wall, where as in natural no two rocks are the same.

Also, how can street be more dangerous? They are on nice flat places with drops normally no bigger than up to 10ft. A few of my local rocky places are on steep slopes and are slippert, rough etc....if you fell you would bounce down the rocky hillside for about 50 yards or so, plenty painfull.

same as Ali C here

about 80% natural riding.

i LOVE it

any rock any weather, been riding both days this weekend with rain and a little snow,,

ITS WAS ACE!!

and as for videos,, search for 'IOLO au natural' on sites,vids pics.

you may find that more amusing, than most.. it a good laff

iolo

There is no other reason then this.

Natural is f**king hard to film, and to get it look good on screen, without loosing people's interest after seconds.

In street, a move is done within 5 seconds. They are on the backwheel, pre-load, kick land, and you are onto the next move, but with natural, you have lots of setup, lots of corrections, and generally boring stuff to watch, on video anyway.

However, if you get a natural ride organised, you are more then likely going to have just as much fun if you were riding street, but transferring that to video is super, super hard.

I totally agree with simon here. both natural and street are fun, but natty is so hard to make look good for the average person.

was super fun at addingham yesterday, despite it being super muddy, slippy, wet, cold, windy and having bald tires.

find the 'TWP' vid with TRA, waynio and phil williams, filmed at buthiers last year. thats my one of my favs.

Filming natural is tough, no doubt. I don't have any experience with natural on video, but with a stills camera it's tricky, but not impossible. I'd certainly like to try a natural trial/ride with a video camera as I think there's a lot of untapped potential to do this, but it requires experimentation and development to find a good style which I may already part have due to my six years of stills photography.

Street is easy to shoot, but very often doesn't follow a flow or series of moves. It's hooking together a series of moves or a line that doesn't happen often with street videos. The one time I tried it with Adam Read's video camera, I did really enjoy it. I think I'm a frustrated cinematographer at heart...

Yeah, i'll be attempting a natural video, it's just figuring out what do with "blank space" so to speak, so as you said Chris, development and experimentation. As you can wiz through a section, but there will always be a moment where you have to correct yourself or setup to go onto a awkward rock. Although, i've got some ideas floating around, so we'll see when its warmer. :P