Cyclists Killed In North Wales

Josephine

drove past the scene yesterday,

not good at all....

driver must have been going to fast or soemthing as well as ice! there wasnt even bad ice there and there is no vegetation so you could see the cyclists from miles away,

rediculous the driver clearly was not driving safely in the conditions.

thoughts go out to family :(

There had been heavy rain the night before and then through the night it froze solid. The cyclists that were not killed, as well as locals, have said the road was like an ice rink in some places that morning! Police have also said that the driver would have been going at around 50mph when he lost it, the road is a national speed limit (for the non drivers thats 60mph limit on a single lane road) so 50mph is no way an excessive speed.

You drove past the scene after the event, it doesnt take much for ice to melt, you dont have a clue and are just making assumtions.

Go out on your bike, hit some ice and see what happens, you dont have to be going fast to loose it do you!?!!! (Im using bikes as an example because its unlikely you have even started learning to drive!)

i have started learning to drive,

thats my view on the subject, no need to start getting bitchy, i make my point you make your point dont act like a child about it,

and if these conditons were that bad do you think that 50mph is a good speed to be driivng at? i dont think so some how :rolleyes:

Tragic accident. Condolences to all involved.

Unfortunately these things happen when no-one was doing anything wrong. Roads are dangerous places for reasons such as this, and therefore people need to take care in order to minimise accidents, but by the sounds of the description the driver was doing nothing wrong and was driving in a sensible manner, it's always difficult knowing how fast to drive when the weather is cold, as this has shown it only takes one patch of ice (which could have been in the shade, and so remained) to cause you to loose control.

It's a natural reaction to look to blame someone when something tragic like this happens, but it isn't always someones fault. If your blaming the driver, surely equal responsibility lies with the cyclists as they were acknowledging the risks of riding on the road and unfortunately chance was against them.

What happens to the driver, he wasnt speeding ordrivng dangerously so does he get away with it.

Probably be done for manslaughter.

Saw it on the news, apparently the father of the young lad that was killed also broke his leg,so must have been a bad day for him.

Thoughts go out to the families.

Probably be done for manslaughter.

correct. **Apparently** two hours before this, another car went skidding out of control, and ended up in the ditch (N) It was black ice and its not fair to blame the driver. Having said that, if he hadn't taken care for ice then he is at fault, but I believe he would have taken precaution

Again thoughts to the families of those involved. A very unfortunate, tragic event :(

From the sounds of things, the driver was taking precautions. He was doing 10 mph under the speed limit, possibly because of the conditions. He may have slowed down to 50 upon sighting the cyclists.

But anyway, he could have been doing 30 mph, and hit ice, the end result of a spin is still going to be the same. Its easy to sit there and say he must have been driving recklessly, but not everyone is Colin McCrae and can handle a car in that kind of situation.

Thoughts go out to everyone involved and their families/friends.

correct. **Apparently** two hours before this, another car went skidding out of control, and ended up in the ditch (N) It was black ice and its not fair to blame the driver. Having said that, if he hadn't taken care for ice then he is at fault, but I believe he would have taken precaution

Again thoughts to the families of those involved. A very unfortunate, tragic event :(

Then the blame lies wit the highways agency who should ahve gritted the rod or closed it.

hen the balme could also ie with the weather people for not predicting it then the people that built the weaher station machines then god wayhey.

Ive managed to blame god and therefore come to the conclusin that religion and my speling is bad.

Then the blame lies wit the highways agency who should ahve gritted the rod or closed it.

Yeah thats what my dad said too, but Im guessing they just took the first car (which apparently happend, not 100%) as a one off case and ignored it....

Yeah thats what my dad said too, but Im guessing they just took the first car (which apparently happend, not 100%) as a one off case and ignored it....

Great brains think alike.

Also the cyclists can be to blame aswell. If they knew of the conditions and were riding with inappropriate tyres for the conditions then its swings and roundabouts in a court of law.

Thats only a possible senario before any gets on their high horse.

Also the cyclists can be to blame aswell. If they knew of the conditions and were riding with inappropriate tyres for the conditions then its swings and roundabouts in a court of law.

roadie bikes = slick tyres, semi's at the most..... also, what do the cyclists tyres have to do with the car sliding on ice? :huh: think about that one.....

drove past the scene yesterday,

not good at all....

driver must have been going to fast or soemthing as well as ice! there wasnt even bad ice there and there is no vegetation so you could see the cyclists from miles away,

rediculous the driver clearly was not driving safely in the conditions.

thoughts go out to family :(

Wasn't going too fast or anything like that at all. The police specifically said he was under the speed limit. There had been an accident at that same spot an hour before, due to ice, and the police had specifically requested the "fast response gritter" should go and re-grit the road, as it hadn't been gritted since 6pm the night before.

How can't people just accept it was shit luck? Loads of people crash every winter due to ice. There's largely f**k all you can do about it. Almost all the roads in that area had already been re-gritted, so everywhere else was fine, which would've led people to believe that road would've been OK too, I suppose.

Anyway, he slid on some ice. It just so happened that after he bounced off the wall he slid into a group of cyclists. The person before slid off but didn't hit them. It's just the way it is. If one of the group hadn't tightened their shoes properly and they'd had to have stopped earlier on they'd have been late and wouldn't have been hit. If they'd ridden 1mph quicker they'd have been past it. It's just a tragic coincidence.

Can't believe how f**king stupid the CTC guy was on the news tonight though. Really, really stupid, saying about how it was a "sad reflection" on the state of cycling on the roads these days, and how cars and pedestrians don't know waht it's like to cycle and no-one gives them enough space to ride or anything - none of that had anything to do at all with why 4 people are now dead and 8 or 9 others are injured in hospital. It was all just an accident, but of course someone's got to take the blame...

Oh, and Michael, the group were well established, followed the highway code 'n' shit, rode in such a way that the older, more responsible members were at the front and rear to shield the younger riders, and were all wearing highly coloured outfits so they'd pretty much done all they could.

How can't people just accept it was shit luck?

Thank f**k someone said it. It's obviously just one of those tragic things. People die from cancer every day - There doesn't have to be someone to blame. Of course no blame = no claim, which is unfortunate in this day and age considering people love to sue each other.

To craig davies. I hope you're the sort of person who doesn't pass his test first time and gets a kick in the teeth. You're far too cocky for my liking and the roads are safer without you. No doubt as soon as you do past your test you'll drive around like a rally driver because you can clearly make superior judgements to everyone else in every possible set of circumstances.

Wait, shit you've only just started to learn to drive, you don't know shit. MY mistake - Ah well.

The guy who crashed will be inverstigated and trialled fairly. I'm sure the rta police team will see he was doing under the limit and the entire incident was clearly just complete bad luck. Unfortunately roads aren't always gritted often enough and this sort of situation can occur. It has already been stated the the roads were gritted more than 12 hours prior to the incident. Which is obviously plenty of time for large amounts of ice to occur in shaded areas.

I've driven on ice once. Didn't do more than ten miles per hour as I was on private roads and wasnt sure which turning to take, I missed it and in normal circumstances would have been able to turn quickly and make the road - In this instance I slid about 30ft down the road and had no chance. If at 10mph that happened to me in a controlled secluded area god only knows what went through that guys head when his car slid on a single carriage way at 50mph. Shit luck unfortunately, as mark has said.