The Funny Sidehop Thingy

Greetings

Hello guys

Searched for a topic like this but found nothing, sorry in advance if it's repeated

I am wondering how to get down to learning this sidehop Tunni and CLS do:

IPB Image

alright, I know what you should pull the bike alongside your body and not under it, but Ive been trying it on and off for ages now and got nowhere. I prefer to sidehop left (left lead foot) but can also do it right. I sidehop about 40 inches. Any technical advice apart from 'keep practicing'? please guys...

Edited by Inur

OR the thing to put in your mind and try is "Lift" and "Take" the bike with you. dont just kick and think that the bike will do the work, a bit like doing weights, YOU control the weights dont let the weights control you.

thats the way i have looked at it and practised it and can go so much higher. also compression of rear tyre and working that in with when you bend down, your tyre compresses then when you spring up the tyre is on its way up therefore helps too.

Waynio......................

OR the thing to put in your mind and try is "Lift" and "Take" the bike with you. dont just kick and think that the bike will do the work, a bit like doing weights, YOU control the weights dont let the weights control you.

How do you do that front bump to sidehop like you did in James P's vid? :D that was class and nice one too (Y)

id say just practice loads and develop the technique that feels best for you,

its not always good to try and do it like other people do sometimes.

i used to get 45 everytime but now i strugle to hit that all because i didnt ride for a few months

just get some decent practice on the go and think positive when going for it.

Are we talking about the backwheel-to-sidehop thing I see everyone doing nowadays? Or some specific variant of it? Sorry if I sound like a bit of a newbie but said move hadn't really been invented or used widely when I was last riding :P

Ahah, just been spending some time trying to nail that one...I always seem to end up just backhopping sideways - is there more to it than that or am I on the right track here?

Definately on the right track, I started doing those but as things got higher it forces you to lean forward a bit and go to two wheels.

i think that you should just try a slightly bigger wall than usual. im sure someone has already said this so i am just agreeing with them.

for instance i cant really sidehop in the middle of the street etc but once theres a wall along side me i seem to get the extra height. i say just give it a go.

i also agree with Waynio. donr expect the bike to do the work, make sure you are 'jumping' then lifting the bike under you using your arms and legs (Y)

Dave

for instance i cant really sidehop in the middle of the street etc but once theres a wall along side me i seem to get the extra height. i say just give it a go.

Agreed, I can always do bigger stuff when I have something to aim for. Purely psychological, I'm sure.

try side hopping with without a finger on your front brake,

it makes you lift more and land level

but it kills mech hangers

EDIT :

heres my best go...(with both brakes)

its not massive but im in the right place..

i still land slightly front wheel first though :ermm:

arrrgh who cares its all fun and good

also anyone else experience hip clicking with this move sometimes ??? oww

IPB Image

iolo.

Edited by IOLO

gahhh, this dam tuck has plagued me for aaaages, I can do it, but only if I land front wheel first, then pivot the bike to the side....I just cant make myself put it to the side of me on the way up :angry:

I seem to be landing back wheel first and having to swing the front around at the mo...but then I'm only practicing on tiny stuff :P

I seem to be landing back wheel first and having to swing the front around at the mo...but then I'm only practicing on tiny stuff :P

Don't expect to be doing that on anything vaguely high :P

I reckon your best bet is to force yourself to tuck to the side everytime you go out to pracitce. Probably best to do this on walls a few inches lower than you can currently do so your not being stretched whilst learning a new technique (Y)

How do you do that front bump to sidehop like you did in James P's vid? that was class and nice one too

I seriously have no idea :Slol!!!! i watched the vid and i just dont know how that actually happened cos when i did it it looked/felt like i had gone straight up, but on the video you can see the front wheel like touch, a bit of brake then another movement off ass up and bike under neath me, but id be lying if i said "ye mate i meant to do that" hahaha.

Waynio.........................

i like to watch sidehops that are clean from two to two but a sidehop from on the backwheel upto two wheels looks kool too, practise it a bit BUT dont just concentrate on sidehops you will loose your ability in other areas if "sidehops" are all you do. dont let it blag your head keep an open and free mind and enjoy what you achieve.

What helps me is finding the sweet spot on the ground...just leaning against something. Balance, and tuck to the side to get the feeling. Store it in your memory good! Then try some sidehops.

My sidehop is in my avatar!

Edited by jamesb