Ntl Users On 1mb Or 2mb

Pauly

hey all well i was board and browseing the ntl website when i found this click me for users on 1mb you can get upgraded free to 2mb and for users on 2mb you can get upgraded to 10mb !!!!! for free i think i havent read up on it yet properly but damn i wish i was on 2mb now :) anyways check it out

Pauly

Where does it say you can for free?

After putting in my password etc, it says:

"If you choose to increase the speed of your Broadband Internet service we will adjust your payments immediately, so the next bill you receive may show the change-over month partly at the old rate, partly at the new rate."

Hardly any British suburbs are wired with a T1 line so about 2% of the population will actually be able to receive a 10MB connection.

Er, anyone can get 10mb? Doesn't require a T1 line at all. They are testing 25mb services too, and they are mean't to go nation wide next year.

There is no more free upgrades, not until the end of the year anyway, the only christmas present NTL user's got was the usage restrictions being taken down.

Er, anyone can get 10mb? Doesn't require a T1 line at all. They are testing 25mb services too, and they are mean't to go nation wide next year.

There is no more free upgrades, not until the end of the year anyway, the only christmas present NTL user's got was the usage restrictions being taken down.

damn ok thanks for the info, sorry again peeps. the topic can be closed now then :(

Pauly

if yoru on 1mb or 2mb, thats all your on.... if you were on 3mb you get upgraded to 10mb (as i have) love the connection, very rarely are the services down (Y) i looked into this quite deeply to find out how it all worked before i upgraded, also my bill is going from £37.99 a month DOWN to £34.99 sometime soon :D

the 25mb lines etc, work off (usually) a BT phone line, so you need to pay BT to rent the line, then the ISP for the connection.... also these usually have a bandwidth limit on them, which does work

i'm on the 10mb NTL (as mentioned) and i get a 75GB information limit for a month however they just moniter you, if your always going over the limit they check up on you, if you rarly go near the limit then they just ignore you and let you use it as you wish

Edited by street trials rider

No shit, I thought your area needed to be wired with at least T1 to receive anything over 10mb.

Isnt everyone going up to 10mb sometime this year, automatically? i think my area gets upgraded in march. I'm on 1mb.

Correct, they are phasing it again, 3mb get upgraded first, then 2mb, then 1mb. 3mb get started on during June apparently.

No shit, I thought your area needed to be wired with at least T1 to receive anything over 10mb.

Nope, although i think 25mb is about the maximum i believe.

They've always had the technology, but to get more money they phase it in. In sweden you can get a 100mbit home line, and they also have SDSL, on the same lines that we use (i believe, anyway). The only problem is distance from the telephone exchange.

Correct, they are phasing it again, 3mb get upgraded first, then 2mb, then 1mb. 3mb get started on during June apparently.

If all connections got upgraded to 10mb so would the prices, they'll be upgrading all 3mbs to 10 over the year, but the 1mb and 2mb will probably stay the same.... they have to have budget connections and high end connections.... to keep customers from all over the scale, not just people that abuse fast connections

If all connections got upgraded to 10mb so would the prices, they'll be upgrading all 3mbs to 10 over the year, but the 1mb and 2mb will probably stay the same.... they have to have budget connections and high end connections.... to keep customers from all over the scale, not just people that abuse fast connections

I think they do it so they all have caps, 1mb having a smaller download amount than 2mb, etc. Theyre getting cheap to compete with other companys who are reducing prices.

And 10mb can travel on normal cable connections...

I don't think there's any need for 2mb + really for home users. I mean, half the time you get no where near 250kB/sec anyway. And even if you do, it's quick enough. It has no effect on msn transfers, P2P programs etc etc.

So to me, 2Mb, 10Mb, 25Mb are all the same.

IPB Image

10mb has its advantages when it needs it :D best example is when you have to update all yoru computer again after formatting it :angry:

Only if theres nothing stopping the server piping information down at that speed. Which there usually is.

I'm on an 8mb proper pipe at work (none of this ADSL crap) and rarely see above 200-300k/s even if there's nobody else here - it's because the rest of the world is busy stealing my lovely bandwidth with shite like morpheus and sending each other chain emails in case they go to hell .

It wasn't like this back in 93 :(

i dont live that far from one of NTL's main sites, so i pretty much always get tht sort of download speeds, i only get bottlenecked on the cheaper home made sites etc... big hosters like microsoft (like when updating Windows XP) i have no bottleneck at all, because i'd say they probs got the biggest connection in the world :blink: if not then they are dam close to top