Need Advice

Dr Greenthumb

Hey all

Basically as it says in the title i'm starting up my own business and i need your help.

Basically i am torn between setting up a market stall (presuming i get the go ahead from the council, still haven't replied after two letters :angry: ) Or an ebay shop. I have a supplier ready and there necessary funds to do either.

I will be selling xbox, ps2 and psp games. I was thinking a market stall as there is a definite market for a games shop, whereas ebay has a shed load of game shops

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hey all

Basically as it says in the title i'm starting up my own business and i need your help.

Basically i am torn between setting up a market stall (presuming i get the go ahead from the council, still haven't replied after two letters :angry: ) Or an ebay shop. I have a supplier ready and there necessary funds to do either.

I will be selling xbox, ps2 and psp games. I was thinking a market stall as there is a definite market for a games shop, whereas ebay has a shed load of game shops

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Why not do bouth?

Do you have to pay for an ebay shop?

This isnt the best place to get business advise from seeing as there ar eonly a handful of people that have set up shop on here.

My advise is, is there is no point aiming towards the games market if you cant compete. You should research on average what games are selling for in markets, shops and ebay stores and copare that to what you your getting your stock for and the profit you would make.

Its a risky business and I would have set up shop in a market thats not full to bursting yet and just taking off.

If you cant compete dont bother.

I can't really say too much fo use, but I'm with samthebiker - eBay has hardly any set up costs, you only pay when you actually sell something, so very little risk - so why not do both? Or you could do eBay then move on to market depending how that goes... Market definitely has a lot more risk, hassle, time etc.

Anyway whilst we're on it - good source of info is Business Link - loads of info aboutb starting up, registering for tax/national insurance and all the boring stuff...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, let us know how it goes (Y)

Gavin

i wouldnt bother. thats not just me bein arsy, but with shops like game, and game station, independents really cant compete.

id look into stuff you can get abroad and not over here that would sell, and get in touch with the manufacturers and see if you can become authd uk distributor.. the you just gotta sell it to the shops. writ to big companys etc. cause do you really wana be sellin games to muppets on the street or organisin transfers and shipping. much more money in that id say.

and make sure you spell check everything like i do :blink:

Edited by currie

currie is right, it'll be hard to make a living out of games

get in touch with the princes trust, they will help you get started, you may qualify for a grant, or at least a loan(4grand low interest) and they give you free buisiness tuition, i used them, and they have helped me a long way, although i decided againt the loan, as its just another way to get in debt, im gonna do it all myself :) well when i get the chance to start properly :P

good luck chap (Y)