Decent 9 Spd Chains

CurtisRider

righty not for a trials bike, but i want a strong chain all the same, but im unsure as to what to get?

i have a bit of a fear of weak chains, which as really put me off running 9 speed, but trouble is its too costly to go to 8speed now :( cos id have to change loads, otherwise id run a kmc kool

so what do you recomend? its for my kona stinky, and itll be running on a roadie cassette

ive looked at whippermans, does anybody know where they stock the coloured ones, cos thatd be pimp :P

any help would be much appreciated :)

cheers, paul

Yeah the whipperman chains are good, I used to run one on my trials bike. You could look at the better sram chains, they are good quality and strong.

money isnt really an object, well within reason, i will pay more for something that'll last and be safe :)

NOTE:Chains in stock are not coloured.
:( Edited by pauloliver

sram pc-990 chain, top of the range sram (apart from the hollow pin and stamped ones which are a little weaker just lighter and more expensive really) should last you pretty well

i use the 8 speed equivalent, pc-68, for trials and never had any problems with it, snapped a couple of them before but just with me being stupid and not replacing it after it had stretched out :S

I shall be getting the sram pc911 chain. My mate has one and he says its brilliant. But atad expensive at £37.99.

ok when i say money isnt an object i didnt quite mean spending that much :P considering i would change the chain regularly(every 2 months seems ok?) to reduce unecessary sprocket wear

sram pc-990 chain, top of the range sram (apart from the hollow pin and stamped ones which are a little weaker just lighter and more expensive really) should last you pretty well

i use the 8 speed equivalent, pc-68, for trials and never had any problems with it, snapped a couple of them before but just with me being stupid and not replacing it after it had stretched out :S

that chain looks to be ok, and isnt a bad price, any reason to spend a few quid more and get a pc991?

whippermans do look tempting, i have had the cheaper 8spd sram chains-15odd quid a time, and they lasted ok....i snapped 1 link a month roughly, which wasnt too bad for me at the time, but instead of buying a new chain i used to just rejoin it with a fresh link :P

do kmc make any good 9spd chains? just that the kool chain is soooo good, so im guessing they cant be too bad?

Don't even look at Shitmanos, in my opinion they should all be melted down before they do someone damage, my "XT" or whatever code it's got now snapped going downhill :S I'm yet to have any Sram chain snap on me and I've used the bottom of the range and almost top of the range versions. Any of them will do you good (Y)

EDIT: forgot to add, the powerlinks are *really* useful in my opinion, but they are known to occasionally shake loose when freewheeling on DH. I've only had it happen to me once and that was on a really worn chain so not overly worried, I'll always run with one in but don't forget it's easy to leave it out if you wish :)

Edited by Shaun H

cheers shaun, i wasnt even going to consider a shitmano chain, mainly due to the annoying link pins, i also never use the split links, as ive had nothing but trouble with them :( its not hard to carry a chain breaker anyway :)

so it seesm to be down to sram or whipperman now it seems, whippermans look very tempting, and seem to have a ganeral good review over all their range, whereas sram have the occasional wank chain it seems :P

Hah, :$ sorry about that, those wankers at CRC should put a picture of the non coloured ones on there.

Anyway seeing as i'm here i'll go and reccomend sram chains, even though I've had one snap on me twice on my XC bike (top of the range one too with the holes in it and all) I still think they're damn good chains and they're thinner than shimano chains (which are shit by the way) so they'll be better for a 9 speed setup.