Whats So Good About I Pods?

BONGO

OK, i don't own one and i am fast deciding to keep it this way.

All i hear is that they are amazing. That goes into my right ear.

My left ear is getting bombarded with "my ipod is broke"

Whats the deal. What should i buy. I want 2gb. don't need anymore really.

john

easy to navigate with one hand, quick startup, quick between songs, easy to put music on, and fast. convenient if you use itunes as your mp3 playing software. also trendy, good sizing, ok prices, and of course, the white (albeit crap) headphones.

they're cool when they work.

Nothing.

They are over hyped.

All MP3 players these days have similar if not identical functions, sound quality varies on some. Apple do indeed sound good, but imo using them is a pain in the arse.

In my shop I stock Creative Zen as I prefer them, they come in 512mb, 6gb and more...

A 6gb one should set you back about £170 if you shop around.

To add, iPod Nano are ultra cack as the screens crack in pockets etc...

Plus, if you want cases and stuff you pay loads more because it's specifically for iPods.

No doubt some apple lovers will stick up for the over-priced junk.

ipod nano, 2gb, black or white get a case for it (loads out there from silicon, to aluminium)

i love mine, ease of use especially if you have a mac. but just as good if you own a pc. plug in and it puts all the songs from your itunes library onto your ipod.

transfer songs from other ipods to your comp by using ipodrip (just search in google)

any problems apple will happily help and fix if it is within warranty etc.

batteries last bout 12 hours on my 4gb nano on full charge.

they're also reli small and light etc etc.

anyway thats my POV

why not go to the apple store in the trafford centre if your near and have a play with one?

cheers

dan

They are amazingly well marketed, and they are apple. Its actually quite a facile thing to base a purchase on, but its the same with all things "fashionable". My friend had one and it went wrong fairly soonish, so he now has an I river, which he says has better sound quality. His ipod was an older version. 20 Gb i think,

OK, i don't own one and i am fast deciding to keep it this way.

All hear is that they are amazing. That goes into my right ear.

My left ear is getting bombarded with "my ipod is broke"

Whats the deal. What should i buy. I want 2gb. don't need anymore really.

john

Mehh I didunt buy an ipod and for a dam good reason! As you all I heard was "my ipod broke" ect ect ect by many many people. I think every friend I no that has a ipod at school has broke.

I brought creative. I got a 6gb Creative Zen Micro baiscly the same as an Ipod has all the fetures ect ect but it does't break! Ive not hear many things bad agains the creative at all.

Ive seen and messed arround with a few ipod nanos at school (I think thats the one ur after) and personly would't ride with it. It just looked too small and looked like it would snap in 2 lol, that proble a bad thing as i gather you would want it on ur bmx?

I say take a look at the creative player they really are awsome!

Sam

Edited by samthebiker

Firstly I hate Creative stuff. It f**king sucks. Everyone I know who's had one, theirs has broke. And they've ended up buying an iPod and no I'm not joking. I know of 6 people who bought the Zens and they broke at the headphone jack or battery connection.

Nothing.

but imo using them is a pain in the arse.

To add, iPod Nano are ultra cack as the screens crack in pockets etc...

Plus, if you want cases and stuff you pay loads more because it's specifically for iPods.

Firstly the "No doubt apple lovers..." is just covering yourself and being ignorant about how you think your opinion's right, and would blame me, or anyone else for being a stupid apple lover is they were to disagree.

Pain in the arse how?

You can't stereotypicalise iPods for having cracked screens in pockets. Granted. Mine broke so I was pissed off, but I definately can't complain at Apple for it. It was a small bunch of them, which are not out of circulation it seems, so you couldn't possibly buy one which will crack.

And if it would, then Apple would give you the exact same service as me. Free UPS pick up and delivery within a 1 week time period. Free replacement and money off Apple stuff.

And cases aren't 'loads more'. You can buy one on ebay new from £3. That's not exactly a rip off is it. Lots of other brands sell things for iPods.

Nick.

Firstly I hate Creative stuff. It f**king sucks. Everyone I know who's had one, theirs has broke. And they've ended up buying an iPod and no I'm not joking. I know of 6 people who bought the Zens and they broke at the headphone jack or battery connection.

Firstly the "No doubt apple lovers..." is just covering yourself and being ignorant about how you think your opinion's right, and would blame me, or anyone else for being a stupid apple lover is they were to disagree.

Pain in the arse how?

You can't stereotypicalise iPods for having cracked screens in pockets. Granted. Mine broke so I was pissed off, but I definately can't complain at Apple for it. It was a small bunch of them, which are not out of circulation it seems, so you couldn't possibly buy one which will crack.

And if it would, then Apple would give you the exact same service as me. Free UPS pick up and delivery within a 1 week time period. Free replacement and money off Apple stuff.

And cases aren't 'loads more'. You can buy one on ebay new from £3. That's not exactly a rip off is it. Lots of other brands sell things for iPods.

Nick.

By Apple lovers I meant people that only buy Apple because they like it... ie won't touch PC's because they don't use Mac OS or whatever.

And i'm going on personal experience - We have sold iPods in my shop - All have been returned (No i'm not joking) the profit margin on an iPod is also pretty crap so they aren't worth the hassle.

When I used the iPod in the shop I found it a pain in the arse to use, much harder than the Zen, we have stocked the Zen (Zen Nano Plus 512, Zen Touch, Zen 20gb Photo Sleek and Zen Mini 6gb) for six months now and have had no problems at all apart from an old guy that was a technophobe and couldn't work out how to use it (That was a general technology problem, no specific brands, he just couldn't get his head around windows)...

Also, regarding eBay, your average high street shopper is not a computer wizard and prefers to go into a shop and get advice rather than buy on eBay and risk getting mass produced Chinese rubbish.

A one week time period for replacement? Bring your creative into our shop with your receipt and we swap it there and then, so there's that arguement out of the window.

Anyway, it was an opinion in the first place. If you like 'em you buy one... i'll save money and have something I beleive is better though thanks.

It was a small bunch of them, which are not out of circulation it seems, so you couldn't possibly buy one which will crack.

Nick.

The thing is Apple knew that the produced faulty ones, brought them out hoping no-one would notice and got sued for it in America.

Nice. ;)

By Apple lovers I meant people that only buy Apple because they like it... ie won't touch PC's because they don't use Mac OS or whatever.

That's as good a reason as any to dislike PCs. Have you ever used OS X?

I don't think anyone got owned. My sister has a creative and it broke 3 times. I had a creative and it was big and clunky and not very nice to use. IMO iPods are the best MP3 players out there. Not just in terms of feature set (I'm sure some far-eastern rip off will win here because it can play wma or something), but in terms of general niceness they are just really nice. I don't have one by the way, in fact I have a Creative (256 thingy).

I love it when Apple bummers get owned :P

How the f**k can you be so ignorant to say that. No-one has been 'owned' in this topic. And I'm no-where near a 'mac bummer'. Does that mean that 90 odd percent of the population are 'Windows bummers' because they will only use windows, as they're too f**king stupid and narrow minded to use anything but?

I pick Apple computers as they run OsX which is, in my opinion, a few better operation system than windows. I know you can get a PC to run OsX with a hack, I can't be bothered. I like the compatibility of Mac's. Everything works, it's small, thought about and stylish. If people say 'I don't care about style' then why are companies striving to get better looking products and considering aesthetics more and more in every part of product design?

That's as good a reason as any to dislike PCs. Have you ever used OS X?

I don't think anyone got owned. My sister has a creative and it broke 3 times. I had a creative and it was big and clunky and not very nice to use. IMO iPods are the best MP3 players out there. Not just in terms of feature set (I'm sure some far-eastern rip off will win here because it can play wma or something), but in terms of general niceness they are just really nice. I don't have one by the way, in fact I have a Creative (256 thingy).

I absolutely agree Tomm. And I've got to disagree with 'MadManMike':

And i'm going on personal experience - We have sold iPods in my shop - All have been returned (No i'm not joking) the profit margin on an iPod is also pretty crap so they aren't worth the hassle.

When I used the iPod in the shop I found it a pain in the arse to use, much harder than the Zen, we have stocked the Zen (Zen Nano Plus 512, Zen Touch, Zen 20gb Photo Sleek and Zen Mini 6gb) for six months now and have had no problems at all apart from an old guy that was a technophobe and couldn't work out how to use it (That was a general technology problem, no specific brands, he just couldn't get his head around windows)...

Also, regarding eBay, your average high street shopper is not a computer wizard and prefers to go into a shop and get advice rather than buy on eBay and risk getting mass produced Chinese rubbish.

A one week time period for replacement? Bring your creative into our shop with your receipt and we swap it there and then, so there's that arguement out of the window.

Anyway, it was an opinion in the first place. If you like 'em you buy one... i'll save money and have something I beleive is better though thanks.

Well. I doubt you have used many iPods. Also you should refer your customers who have bought iPods to the agreement which clearly states that warranty is dealt with through apple, via the apple website.

I don't know how you could possibly find the iPod 'much harder' to use then the Zen. At all. Yeah. I've used both. The Zen was first. Then the iPod. It was quite obvious the iPod was better. The Zen was merely a poor copy of the iPod. The screen was shitter. It's controls are much poorer as you can't keep scrolling down / up a lift, you have to take your finger off and go to the top of a bar to go back down again etc.

I'm actually surprised Creative let it out in to production with such bloody design faults. A main problem with the creative things are that at the headphone jack they f**k up if they're in your pocket, and so creative issued a statement in the US saying that they were 'meant to be on your belt' not for bag or pocket use.

That's a load of bullshit if you ask me.

Apple consider their user interface much more than Creative, or any other computer / mp3 player manufacturer at the moment in my opinion. The iPod was broken down into what is needed from an map3 player. Function and Size being main point, and obviously to sell in such a competitive market it needs to be very aesthetically pleasing, as any teenager or such wouldn't buy some shoes which were out of fashion, why should anyone criticise Apple for making their products stylish. I'd hardly say function was much further down on their criteria for the perfect product?

Oh and for whoever said about WMA's. They're the second for a f**king reason. MP3's are cross format, not related to Windows / Microsoft, so are the obvious choice for all music listeners. Sony and such have to include WMA coding on their products (phones etc) but why can't there just be a cross format, good quality coding type?

WMA gives lower quality than mp3 for a start. And also you can get converters for free on the internet for anyone who cares.

Feel free to buy what you like, and I agree, it's your opinion. As this and my previous post was mine. There's nothing wrong with opinions clashing. I'll happily agree to disagree but statements like:

are just ridiculous. And asking for a view which isn't so ignorant and narrow-minded.

Sorry for the long post.

Nick.

Don't get one the battery life is generally abysmal when used for a little while, somone i know has only had his a few months and the battery only lasts about an hour now.

Oh any by the way you can actually send your iPod back to Apple for a replacement battery or whole unit. Some links for you / your mate are:

Return iPod to Apple for inspection / fixing

If it's out of it's 1year warrenty

Information about the battery indicator and such

Nick.