Whats So Good About I Pods?

BONGO

I had my nano 2 months and it broke, It wasnt the screen or anything like that and to be fair it only left the car twice. The output just stopped working and when I tested it on a few other headunits (as i said, was using it for the car only) it didnt work and apparently its very common for them to break.

I think theyve done the same as phones did a few years ago, theyre desperate to make them as small as possible but obviously they suffer, Its inevitable that they increase in size or start using more flash memory type storage.

I would personally get an iRiver but thats only because the skins factory designed all their interfaces and i get off on that sort of thing :)

I also love it when Apple bummers kick off and send off nasty PMs to satisfy their obviously huge egos because they cannot accept the viewpoint of others without first shoving theirs down our throats as hard as they possibly can.

Oh and the fact that this a public forum, open for discussion gives me "the right to make posts like that".

You over reacting little fanny. t**t - stupid censor

Don't be such a fanny, calm down and be a bit more friendly and you might get the same back.

Edited by Shaun H

I also love it when Apple bummers kick off and send off nasty PMs to satisfy their obviously huge egos because they cannot accept the viewpoint of others without first shoving theirs down our throats as hard as they possibly can.

Oh and the fact that this a public forum, open for discussion gives me "the right to make posts like that".

You over reacting little fanny. t**t - stupid censor

Don't be such a fanny, calm down and be a bit more friendly and you might get the same back.

No really. It wasn't a nasty PM at all. What gives you the right to label anyone 'owned' when it's obviously not such? Yeah?

From my previous post. I think it's pretty sure that you were 'owned' if you'd like to brand that to people.

I have an ipod nano and i really like, i take care of it, have a case, its very easy to use and compatible(obviously) with my mac so it works well for me, and i can store photos on it, view them, and transfer them straight from my camera if the memory card is full, so i love it. Have never used a Zen or anything so i can't compare, but i haven't had a problem with mine so far.

And i'm going on personal experience - We have sold iPods in my shop - All have been returned (No i'm not joking) the profit margin on an iPod is also pretty crap so they aren't worth the hassle.

Out of interest, do you work at dixons, currys, comet, etc?

Also, regarding eBay, your average high street shopper is not a computer wizard and prefers to go into a shop and get advice rather than buy on eBay and risk getting mass produced Chinese rubbish.

How can you say they are chinease rubbish, I'd put money on it that 99% of the covers are made in China or other eastern countries.

Thanks for reminding me... They don't play WMA - The second largest music format.

Good point, I forgot how superior WMA was. With it's ultra compact files with ultra high quality and completely bug free playback and it's this and it's that. IF you aren't using MP3, you clearly are missing the point, windows is so atrocious it doesn't matter what you do, you can never listen to the same song twice because it will somehow write a bug into itself.

Yeah there great,and yeah they break if people dont look after them

Hardly justified, I had mine, very well looked after and then the battery f**ked up on them, which is the most common fault with them; but no fault of my own.

I'm on my second ipod now (30GB), after the first one broke I filled out the form on their website, they sent me a box in the post, but my ipod in it, sent it back. Week later I got a brand new one...some might call this good customer service, which yes it is, but should they really break in the first place?

Out of interest, do you work at dixons, currys, comet, etc?

How can you say they are chinease rubbish, I'd put money on it that 99% of the covers are made in China or other eastern countries.

Good point, I forgot how superior WMA was. With it's ultra compact files with ultra high quality and completely bug free playback and it's this and it's that. IF you aren't using MP3, you clearly are missing the point, windows is so atrocious it doesn't matter what you do, you can never listen to the same song twice because it will somehow write a bug into itself.

No I have my own independent hi-end hifi shop called WiFi HiFi in Hastings.

And i've never had problems with WMA apart from crap ones downloaded...

There's a difference between Chinese rubbish and high quality Chinese goods, what you buy for hardly anything on eBay is usually bulk loads of junk that shops won't accept.

I don't think they're great, Vinyl is the way forward, but from a users point of view they want as many tunes on the player as possible... WMA isn't greatly worse than MP3, and let's face it no digital sound is anywhere near as good as Vinyl apart from maybe SACD which comes close...

WMA gives lower quality than mp3 for a start. And also you can get converters for free on the internet for anyone who cares.

iTunes converts them? If you copy an album into iTunes that has been ripped using WMP then it just converts it for you...

I like my iPod. It looks nicer than the Creative Zen. Two other handy things - the shiny surface on the back serves as a great pocket mirror, and I also like seeing all the album artwork when I am listening to my iPod. I don't walk around looking at the screen obviously, but when I have it out it's quite a nice touch I find.

I was dead set against buying an iPod for ages - I loved my swish Sony minidisc player. However, going to uni, living in halls, and sharing so much music means that an mp3 player is a vital accessory. I think it's just the general concensus that iPods are the coolest mp3 player so people buy them.

iTunes converts them? If you copy an album into iTunes that has been ripped using WMP then it just converts it for you...

Not on the Mac it doesn't. AAC pisses me off as well, all these proprietary formats are annoying. MP3 is cross-platform, it's good. I don't really see why people have to bother with anything else.

Firstly I hate Creative stuff. It f**king sucks. Everyone I know who's had one, theirs has broke. And they've ended up buying an iPod and no I'm not joking. I know of 6 people who bought the Zens and they broke at the headphone jack or battery connection.

Yep i had a creative Zen micro 5gb, It broke at the headphone jack, so did the next one i got on warrenty.

But this is where your argument (in my POV) fails, i went to warrenty again and they said they would send me a new one as the headphone jack problem had been fixed (i didn't believe them at first but checked and this seems to be true) but i complaied anyway and said i wanted my money back. Next thing i know there ringing saying they will send someone to pick up the micro and replace it with a micro photo!

This thing rules! Its the same size as the original micro, a tiny bit heavier but not noticeable, this is because of a reinforced headphone jack and other areas. It feels like a much stronger player. It has 8gb memory (remembering it can take more file formats that the ipods so i believe it songs can be compressed better). Many people have told me you can fit twice as many songs on 1gb of zen as you can on 1gb of ipod. So it'ssmaller that the ipod mini (i'm gonna compare it to this as it's the nearest ipod competitor) has more memory, better battery life, does photos, has a funky colour screen and stuff and comes with lotsa brilliant software. Things like cases and remotes have now been made easily available for creative products and are reasonably cheap.

As far as i see it the only thing Ipods do better at is the fact that they have games (doesn't bother me in the slightest) and make you look like a sheep. :turned:

Just my POV on the matter, Max.

I´ve heard loads of storys about creatives breaking and ive heard loads of stories about ipods breaking, i have an ipod mini does me fine easy to use in the pocket and good sound but the baterry life is pretty poor also itunes is abselutly rubbish but it plays my music with no hastle just what i want.

The creative zen micro or whatever its called is a bit bulky and doesnt look as nice as the ipod but who cares its in your pocket all the time, and its a bit wierd how to use it ipods much simpler.

Basically there both crap and there both good so i think people should stop argueing about it and buy the one they prefer instead of asking cos all there gona get is "iheard that the creative brakes blah blah" "loads of my mates ipods have broken blah blah"

I dont know if any of that makes sense i can never explain whats in my head well.

I have the Sony NW_HD5 and its good. Although it has been replaced now by the NWA3000. Good players, shit names :-

I-Pods are okay, but almost everyone I have met with one bums them LOADS and tries to show them off by wearing them in a highly visible place. On the train to London 90% of the people with I-Pods were fat, ugly and middleaged (women) trying to look trendy (Y)

The main reasons I went for the Sony was because at the time it was the lightest and smallest available which fitted in nicely with what i wanted it for (biking), the battery is removable and the battery life is untouchable. I'm sure there is probably something better out now though

Chill.

I think they are shit, that's my opinion, no need to lose sleep over it!

In fairness, you did seem to be wanting him to justify his opinions more, so just 'cos he seemed to show more knowledge about it than you doesn't really mean that saying "Don't get so stressy" or whatever is a viable answer. If you're running a "high end" hi-fi shop, surely you could reply to a potential customer's views in a better way than that? If Nick was in your shop talking to you about it, I doubt you'd reply like that? Just seems a bit of a shitty answer :S

Yeah but in fairness he isn't a potential customer because he wouldn't travel to hastings just to buy an MP3 player, and yeah if he was in the shop i'd give my personal opinion and let him decide...

My customers get to trial the product and then make up their own minds, I don't do what large stores do and push the most expensive product onto someone...

The "Chill out" post was aimed at his response to someone else not me, he seemed to be geting a bit too angry over the subject that's all...

I have the Sony NW_HD5 and its good. Although it has been replaced now by the NWA3000. Good players, shit names :-

I-Pods are okay, but almost everyone I have met with one bums them LOADS and tries to show them off by wearing them in a highly visible place. On the train to London 90% of the people with I-Pods were fat, ugly and middleaged (women) trying to look trendy (Y)

The main reasons I went for the Sony was because at the time it was the lightest and smallest available which fitted in nicely with what i wanted it for (biking), the battery is removable and the battery life is untouchable. I'm sure there is probably something better out now though

i the thing i hate most about mine is a lot of people walk round leeds, with them on their belt, showing them off as a status symbol, they probably don't even like music :turned: I don't lose sleep over it though and they will (probably) getted mugged.

but at the end of the day my ipod has decent battery life (mainly because i don't use the light, which drains the f**k outta it) and plays my songs with no problems and itunes sorts my music out. Just need some new headphones because my others broke and i have to use the normal ipod ones.

Ha ha its well funny reading all the people trying to defend the ipod, and in turn apple as a company in general. They are overly hyped products that don't seem to have a high build quality to them. My mates one is always stopping and freezing and getting replaced. Well not always but he's had 4 of them because they stopped working. Yes they play mp3's and not wma's which is a bit of a mistake seeing as it would be better to allow the user to choose what music type they listened to. i would be very pissed off to have a music collection in wma format only to buy an ipod and realise i can't put all my music on it as fast as i could if i bought a product with more compatibilty. i would imagine encoding 2500+ songs like i have would take a long time to encode into mp3 using i tunes (yes i have the program, and yes i've changed wma's into mp3's before)

I would say go for one of the sony porducts, the nwa3000 showed earlier seemd a lot better than an ipod. I own one of the earlier versions of it the nw-hd3 which is a lot easier to use than an ipod and has been a lot more reliable. I've had it over 2 years now and it's taken a lot of abuse, including falling down stairs, on rocks, being dropped, kicked, and sat on. It is a bit scratched and has a couple of chips out of it but that isn't a manufacturing fault is it... and its hardly a functionality problem. Plus the battery lasts roughly twice as long as an ipod does.

plus at £160 its cheaper than a similarly sized capacity ipod as well.

Edit:

How the f**k can you be so ignorant to say that. No-one has been 'owned' in this topic. And I'm no-where near a 'mac bummer'. Does that mean that 90 odd percent of the population are 'Windows bummers' because they will only use windows, as they're too f**king stupid and narrow minded to use anything but?

I pick Apple computers as they run OsX which is, in my opinion, a few better operation system than windows. I know you can get a PC to run OsX with a hack, I can't be bothered. I like the compatibility of Mac's. Everything works, it's small, thought about and stylish. If people say 'I don't care about style' then why are companies striving to get better looking products and considering aesthetics more and more in every part of product design?

haha he said apple bummers, not mac bummers. yet again this was turned into a computer mac vs pc argument.

u did get "owned" though. There's no way you can say that the ipod's were well designed. there was like 8 versions of the original huge ass ipod when it came out because they had so many flaws. Like with the i pod mini which was designed so badly that if you gripped the top too hard when you pulled your headphones out the circuit connecting the two main boards inside snapped and the ipod was from that point on "f**ked".

Edited by Krisboats

Why is everyone saying 'ipods are shit' Just cus there the 'in' fashionable item? For f**ks sake, its an mp3 player, if you like it get one...dont just think :o That lad thats dead trendy's got one...Im not getting one!!!

And to be honest i can knock my nano one bit, Yeah it has its fair share of paddy's...But when you cram 500 songs onto summet so small it will do. And the case with the i pods not playing wma, when you import your song into i tunes it automatically converts them into aac? if im not mistakn? so you can put any song on there.

This is not the veiw of a 'mac/apple bummer'

Tom

haha he said apple bummers, not mac bummers. yet again this was turned into a computer mac vs pc argument.

u did get "owned" though. There's no way you can say that the ipod's were well designed. there was like 8 versions of the original huge ass ipod when it came out because they had so many flaws. Like with the i pod mini which was designed so badly that if you gripped the top too hard when you pulled your headphones out the circuit connecting the two main boards inside snapped and the ipod was from that point on "f**ked".

Firstly. Not particularly because they had many floors, more about getting on top of each market segment again and again I think.

And Apple and Mac are the same things. Apple are the brand which has been known intitially for their computers. Hence me calling the brand Apple, Mac. Does it really f**king matter?

I can't believe you've gone down to saying "well you've put mac not apple ha ha". Seems a tad immature to be quite honest.

You have your opinion. Go for it. I don't give a shit to be honest, but when people are aiming stuff directly at me, like "MadManMike" did the post which Mark put was totally right.

Anyway I don't think Bongo gives a shit from now on, so why keep posting kids?