Whats An Intel Chip Doing In A Mac?

Dr. Nick Riviera

a whole lot more than it ever did in a pc :-

This is the first Mac notebook built upon the revolutionary new Intel Core Duo — which is actually two processors (up to 1.83GHz) engineered onto a single chip. It provides 2MB of Smart Cache, L2 cache that can be shared between both cores as needed. It delivers higher performance in 2D and 3D graphics, video editing, and music encoding. And the new engine is only part of the story. MacBook Pro has a frontside bus and memory that, at 667MHz, runs faster than any previous Mac notebook. It’s the first Mac notebook with PCI Express, a Serial ATA hard drive and the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 for superfast graphics performance.

more here

Hmm. It damn well better not be 4 times faster than my Powerbook :closedeyes:

It ain't cheap though (£1429). I hope they will be releasing some other shit too at Macworld, we all knew this was coming. Macbook Pro is a bit of a crap name though :ermm:

ahh i've been kicking about on macrumours, the name is a bit wank , but dammit the spec sounds sexy

Yeah, should be a total beast. But it's basically just a Powerbook pimped a bit. Why not call it a Powerbook Pro? They haven't even changed the case. But will it come with a shitty intel sticker? :P

wooo, another intel dual core chip that will be crippled by sharing a connection to the memory. Should give mac users a kick up the arse performance wise, oh and in the wallet department too. But unlucky in not being able to use a proper dual core chip like the athlon X2.

I can't wait to see the AX2-M chips, they really will bring insane performance to notebooks.

wooo, another intel dual core chip that will be crippled by sharing a connection to the memory. Should give mac users a kick up the arse performance wise, oh and in the wallet department too. But unlucky in not being able to use a proper dual core chip like the athlon X2.

I can't wait to see the AX2-M chips, they really will bring insane performance to notebooks.

oo

saved me saying it ..

surely you 'could' run OSX on an athlon chip ? - it's basically an x86 underneath and OSX is just linux.

- I spose they'll have nobbed OSX so it only works on intels yuo buy off of apple though won't they.

and people bitch about microsoft....

oo

saved me saying it ..

surely you 'could' run OSX on an athlon chip ? - it's basically an x86 underneath and OSX is just linux.

- I spose they'll have nobbed OSX so it only works on intels yuo buy off of apple though won't they.

There are alrady versions available that do work.

It's not the processors thats the trouble, it's the fact apple use a single hardware set which means all the software is optimised to run on only that hardware, and so finding drivers for motherboards etc will be impossible. Thats why apple can charge such high prices for relatively shite hardware, because all the software is optimised for only their hardware and so runs very efficiently, whereas microsoft have to cater for people running infinate different hardware setups and so their software runs relatively in-efficiently, but on faster hardware.

Apple can/have to plan ahead much more as to what hardware they want to use, so when they get all the optimised code written it's already slightly out of date, but still very well, and hense attract a higher price tag. However for this reason programs that require raw horsepower (or should that be silicon power) aren't available for macs. I couldn't imagine trying to run the CAE software i've been using today on mac hardware of equivelant cost as it would be pants and take hours.

oo

saved me saying it ..

- I spose they'll have nobbed OSX so it only works on intels you buy off of apple though won't they.

You can run OS X on an Athlon, yes. I've done it on my computer. It had loads of driver issues, but I think if you spec'd a PC around it, you could probably resolve most of them. But it's not just Linux really. That's kind of like saying WindowsXP is just DOS underneath. It's based on Unix, but it's far from open source :P And I think the reason Apples are ace is because they only allow OS X to run on the proper hardware. It's kind of an all-in-one solution that works really well and the hardware and software are optimised for each other.

You will, apparently, be able to run Windows on the new Macs. Throw away your PC ^_^