Starbike Hydraulic V Brakes

Skineddy

I was reminiscing about when I first started riding trials and suddenly remembered Starbike hydraulic V brakes. Made by a small German company, they were an attempt to replace standard V brakes (not so much for trials use, just all round brakes). Was a good idea but they weren't too good in practise.

I actually have a pair somewhere in silver which I managed to win off the starbike website. You had to play an online game where you fitted a pair of the brakes to a bike as quick as possible. The fastest time on the leader board every month recieved a free pair sent all the way from Germany.

Pretty random but I just wondered if anyone else remembered them? (Not that it matters as they were a bit rubbish in my opinion, just interested)

Ed

Edited by Skineddy

Could anyone clarify how they work? I sorta get the idea - does the oil just push the opposing ends of the "noodle" sorta crossover bit, pushing the arms towards the centre or something?

Seems like a good idea, I suppose. Sorta like a Magura with theoretically more leverage? Meh, kudos to them for trying it I guess.

there was an industrial looking brake in the bike shop near me, i figured that was a starbikes, but it seams i was wrong. cant actually find pics of this brake anywhere though.

but hey, look at this for an idea, rim disk brake ;)

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Art...s_lightning.htm IPB Image

Edited by mat hudson

Could anyone clarify how they work? I sorta get the idea - does the oil just push the opposing ends of the "noodle" sorta crossover bit, pushing the arms towards the centre or something?

Seems like a good idea, I suppose. Sorta like a Magura with theoretically more leverage? Meh, kudos to them for trying it I guess.

Yeah, the piston is in the cross-over part which pushes the end of the cross-over pieces away from each other. This has the result of pulling the arms together. The main problem was that the join between piston & cross-over bits wasn't strong enough (in mine anyway). Mine snapped at this part under normal braking.

Ed

Edited by Skineddy

i got a set out in the garage.

My mate carl pinkham got a set and a week later i decided to get a set,

used them for a few months for trials.

If you look up a very old mbuk january 2001 and turn to the very first search for a trials star and on page 61 theres a pic of car pinkham gapping off a rock and if you have a look at what back brake he was using it was a hydrulic starbike brake!

Only problem with them was that you had to bleed them lots as they lost a tiny bit of fluid where the little piston cums out to close the brake!

Gav.

They look like a beastly brake but I don't think an only 20 brakes per session thing would really work out.

According to the e-bay seller they need to 'purged' and they come with top quality. (I don't think his translator works) Did you just happen to come across them whilst looking on Belgiums e-bay?

there was an industrial looking brake in the bike shop near me, i figured that was a starbikes, but it seams i was wrong. cant actually find pics of this brake anywhere though.

but hey, look at this for an idea, rim disk brake ;)

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Art...s_lightning.htm IPB Image

Yep, same deal as the Ruthless trials bike which had that radially-mounted disc on the rear, and I *Think* the Benelli Tornado and/or MV Agusta F4 bikes...

i wonder what the next advance will be

hmmm

majic...............

[/quot

probs nowt really, stiffer frames, better pads and smaller pistons...thats all I can think of!!!

apart from the idea of far better rear disc brakes that are likely to appear in the future I expect!