Hope Pro 2 Trials Hubs

SiTrials

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, I can see banners here, and I just noticed your's, but it's still just "pre orders", and I thought some shops like CRC/Wiggle/whoever it was were doing "pre orders" ages ago, by having the Pro2T on their sites, but when you clicked to buy it it just pre-ordered it?

just to let people know.................

the Hope Pro2 trials hub is out and we have had the hubs in stock now (just got back from barce yest. and got into work this morning) we have had them since back end of last week (Y) so literally as i said earlier in this thread.

Waynio...............................

so if anyone needs any more info they can e-mail or pm me if they wish.

48 engagements

4 FAT pawls (2 sets of 2)

individual leaf springs that are easily twice the strength of XC springs

24 tooth deep ratchet

6 speed specific freehub body

3 sealed cartridge bearings under the freehub, one behind the ratchet ring, a further one on the non-drive side of the hub shell

dishless flange spacing

disc mount as standard

'fun' bolt style axle design with serrated steel-ringed washers

vastly oversized axle (compared to xc)

32 or 36h

6 different colours

403g inc bolts

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know :).

Cant wait to get mine tomorrow!! B)

Hi people,

i have been using the same hope mono for well over a year now, i went out tonight and blew the thing up pawls and springs flying everywhere............but...........my mono has been great and the fact that i am a lazy bum and had never seviced it :P ........................... anyway back to the topic of the pro 2, think it looks the bees knees, and love the fact that is trials specific (Y) from what ive heard from some of you guys who are had been testing it, it sounds awsome!

think its about time to hang up whats left of my trusty old mono :(

getting one of these (Y)

Is that a 185mm rotor? Looks monster!

We had some problems with the last frame getting the wheel in and out because the rotor was so flush with the caliper, so Clive got Hope to take a 185mm C2 rotor and machine it down to 180mm, which Clive then sawtoothed, so the wheel can be much more easily removed.

What cassette are you running Rich?
Erm....... Shimano 105 7sp HG70 (11-19) I think its that one......... Awesome cassette whatever it is, as unlike most other cassettes which are pinned together and can only be taken apart with a hacksaw and a file, this one is held together with three tiny hexagonal bolts which can be loosened and then removed with something like a 2mm socket head. Makes getting the ratios in the right order soooooooo much easier. Plus it looks the shit.....

Right, the hub. Got it this morning (**notices its now saturday** friday morning) and spent most of the day pissing around putting the whole bike together as I've had new rims, had to sort out gears, new Avid caliper for the rear, and loads of other stuff to put together. I also sprayed the sidewalls of the Ronnie and Reggie black as they just looked nasty against the rest of the bike, BUT ANYWAY, the point is I didn't actually get out until well past 8 in the evening, so don't expect the best review ever.

I tried to have a go at everything tonight (last night, whatever....) : taps, gaps, sidehops, static stuff, rolling stuff, and I just couldn't make the damn thing skip. Every other hub I've had, including a Chris King, has a had a bedding in period on the first few rides where its just skipped and skipped until everythings settled down. The Pro 2 just did not skip.

The hub runs on four sets of pawls which is devided into two pairs. Whilst one pair is engaging, the other pair is effectively resting, and then takes up the slack as the other pair disengages. This is how the 24 pawl design (bigger pawls make for stronger hubs, but not as many can be fitted in so this usually means less engagements) is multiplied into 48 (hence the name: Pro 2; twice the engagements). It took me a while to figure out how the two pairs managed to engage at different times until I put the hub to my ear and span it very slowly. Any one who has a Pro 2 and has not noticed this, try it now. You get one loud click - thats effectively the master pawls engaging - and the next is slightly quieter, which is the small pair engaging. So when you spin it instead of just going click click click click click click click click , the Pro 2 goes click CLICK click CLICK click CLICK click CLICK. Havn't taken it apart yet to see it all working but from how Clive (Leeson) explained it thats how it works.

My Pro 2 (I'm not sure about every other hub) is held in with funbolts from Hope. NOTE: The bolts issued with the current hubs are being replaced with better fitting bolts. From what I understood from Clive, the bolts are slightly smaller than the threads in the hub that the sit into. This isn't a problem as such because the difference in size is negligable and unnoticeable unless you go being really pedantic and go looking for it, but Hope apparantly are still going to send out replacement bolts for all hubs already purchased. APPARANTLY. Don't jump down my throat the second a Hope spokesman contradicts me as its just what I've been told, and the bolts issued on my Pro 2 certainly have the slight size difference.

The hub also has one other nice design point, in that it builds into a totally dishless wheel. I've got mine built onto a Ronnie (from Tartybikes, cheers Dave) built up by Clive with DT spokes, and it's wierd, but I can actually feel the difference in how it rolls and feels.

All in all, so far the hub is behaving like every other hub apart from the bedding in period thing, which is non-existent with the Pro 2. In reality no one is going to have a concise and accurate opinion on the hub for about another 8 months or so when any potential problems will most likely rear their head if there are any. I don't believe the Pro 2 is indistructable but I certainly think its something very special, but time will only tell how right or wrong I am.

FINAL VERDICT: If you've bought one, good choice. If you havn't, what the hells wrong with you, go buy one. :P

Essay over, sleep now. :sleeping:

Rich

Looks like hope are onto another winner.

Btw, your rotor is on the wrong way round :-

no it isnt! dont change it rich :)

its the wrong way round for a front brake, which stops the wheel when its going forwards, but most of the forces on a rear brake are going the other way, making the way he as it now more suited....

not that it REALLY makes any difference!

The hub runs on four sets of pawls which is devided into two pairs. Whilst one pair is engaging, the other pair is effectively resting, and then takes up the slack as the other pair disengages. This is how the 24 pawl design (bigger pawls make for stronger hubs, but not as many can be fitted in so this usually means less engagements) is multiplied into 48 (hence the name: Pro 2; twice the engagements). It took me a while to figure out how the two pairs managed to engage at different times until I put the hub to my ear and span it very slowly. Any one who has a Pro 2 and has not noticed this, try it now. You get one loud click - thats effectively the master pawls engaging - and the next is slightly quieter, which is the small pair engaging. So when you spin it instead of just going click click click click click click click click , the Pro 2 goes click CLICK click CLICK click CLICK click CLICK. Havn't taken it apart yet to see it all working but from how Clive (Leeson) explained it thats how it works.

My Pro 2 (I'm not sure about every other hub) is held in with funbolts from Hope. NOTE: The bolts issued with the current hubs are being replaced with better fitting bolts. From what I understood from Clive, the bolts are slightly smaller than the threads in the hub that the sit into. This isn't a problem as such because the difference in size is negligable and unnoticeable unless you go being really pedantic and go looking for it, but Hope apparantly are still going to send out replacement bolts for all hubs already purchased. APPARANTLY. Don't jump down my throat the second a Hope spokesman contradicts me as its just what I've been told, and the bolts issued on my Pro 2 certainly have the slight size difference.

The hub also has one other nice design point, in that it builds into a totally dishless wheel. I've got mine built onto a Ronnie (from Tartybikes, cheers Dave) built up by Clive with DT spokes, and it's wierd, but I can actually feel the difference in how it rolls and feels.

Right well mine arrived this morning thnaks to the amazing service of those bike tart guys and the ROYAL MAIL B) (only ordered yesterday afternoon). And Ive got afew points to make

1. Ive opened it up and im pretty sure all the pawls are the same size - the system works because of the way the pawls are positioned - ie when the first pair (say top n bottom pair) is locked into the ratchet teeth, then the second left and right pair is positioned halfway up the ratchet upslope (cant think of a better description) either one in advance or one behind (in comparison to top and bottom) but exactly opposite each other.

Right

2. The new axle / bearing design looks good massively oversized compared to the mono and the bearing actually supports the hub right under the engagements (my only major gripe with the mono is snapping axles every 5 mins) fun bolts are awesome for a trials hub stiffens the back end up abit - and helps with the broken axle syndrome.

3. the new seal is a bitch - that was awesome about the mono - being able to take it apart really really easy.... but this seal is more fiddly than engraving your name on a grain of rice. although having said that though it looks as if it may actually keep some muck out !!! so swings and roundabouts.

4. I dont ever want to run another disc at the back so this hub is slightly frustrating

5. they all are in 6 speed i believe (could be wrong there)

Cant wait to get a build on

oh and 6. They are basically only a few quid more than the old hubs.... take that CK

have ad mine for 2 months and wouldnt look back to any other hub apart from probably my trusty mono's.

Waynio.........................

at least now more people will believe in what me and trialnoir were saying about them. as we have had ours alot longer than most. Trialnoir has had his like over 4/5 months with different types.

Let the buying commence....................... Hope all the way